June 5, 201115 yr I don't really get excited for #4's, arguably #5's. But watch out if a future 5th arm in the bullpen comes around! I never said I was throwing him a parade. He's shown signs of improving over the last 8 starts or so and should be an OK pitcher moving forward. Who says he can't be better than that?
June 5, 201115 yr Was at the game, surprised to see so many Brewers fans. Such a crushing feeling when Morgan hit that, the whole stadium remembered what happened last year. Where were you sitting?
June 5, 201115 yr The worst part was that it was on the first pitch while the boos were still going....and it was a no doubter.
June 5, 201115 yr The worst part was that it was on the first pitch while the boos were still going....and it was a no doubter. He had not homered in 666 AB's.
June 5, 201115 yr The worst part was that it was on the first pitch while the boos were still going....and it was a no doubter. He had not homered in 666 AB's. Left-handed hitters own Volstad so it wasn't a complete surprise.
June 5, 201115 yr The worst part was that it was on the first pitch while the boos were still going....and it was a no doubter. He had not homered in 666 AB's. Go figure....I was hoping Gaby would serve him up a clothesline as he passed 1st base lol
June 5, 201115 yr I don't really get excited for #4's, arguably #5's. But watch out if a future 5th arm in the bullpen comes around! I never said I was throwing him a parade. He's shown signs of improving over the last 8 starts or so and should be an OK pitcher moving forward. Who says he can't be better than that? His advanced age and mediocre control through his minor league career coupled with just good, but not great strikeout numbers. He's really only great at supressing home runs, and it'd be silly to expect his control or strikeout rates to improve at the major league level. Expecting anything more than to be a future MR is expecting way too much.
June 5, 201115 yr I don't really get excited for #4's, arguably #5's. But watch out if a future 5th arm in the bullpen comes around! I never said I was throwing him a parade. He's shown signs of improving over the last 8 starts or so and should be an OK pitcher moving forward. Who says he can't be better than that? His advanced age and mediocre control through his minor league career coupled with just good, but not great strikeout numbers. He's really only great at supressing home runs, and it'd be silly to expect his control or strikeout rates to improve at the major league level. Expecting anything more than to be a future MR is expecting way too much. He's Volstad's age. Also, why can't he improve his control? I guess Ceda will never be a future closer considering his career control issues + the fact he has the same advanced age Cishek has. That's just silly. Also, while he's not super at strikeouts, he certainly has more upside for K's than he's shown in the big leagues in a short sample (over 8 K's per 9 innings in the minors). In that same short sample, he's got a 2.77 FIP, 2.16 BB/9, 68% GB rate, 2.43 GB/FB, and an LD% of 4. This doesn't even include the two outs he got tonight which were both groundball outs (really, three groundball outs, considering Bonifacio made an error on one of them).
June 5, 201115 yr The worst part was that it was on the first pitch while the boos were still going....and it was a no doubter. He had not homered in 666 AB's. Go figure....I was hoping Gaby would serve him up a clothesline as he passed 1st base lol The Fish tank was insane the entire game, fans were screaming "clothesline" on flyballs, fans were taking their shirts off, people were yelling "this isn't hockey" guys were yelling at him wanting to fight, one guy was so drunk he moved up to the first row where I was sitting and was threatening to jump on the field and run at Morgan. :lol I will probably be at the next 2 games as well so it should be interesting, I'm guessing he didn't get much crap yesterday, seeing how he reacted to everything this evening.
June 5, 201115 yr Well....Philly lost....braves...lost, f***, do I have to make a gamethread? Maybe...
June 5, 201115 yr He's Volstad's age. Also, why can't he improve his control? I guess Ceda will never be a future closer considering his career control issues + the fact he has the same advanced age Cishek has. That's just silly. Also, while he's not super at strikeouts, he certainly has more upside for K's than he's shown in the big leagues in a short sample (over 8 K's per 9 innings in the minors). In that same short sample, he's got a 2.77 FIP, 2.16 BB/9, 68% GB rate, 2.43 GB/FB, and an LD% of 4. This doesn't even include the two outs he got tonight which were both groundball outs (really, three groundball outs, considering Bonifacio made an error on one of them). Ceda is great at supressing home runs and has elite strikeout numbers. You can live with the control and hope it improves when you have a couple of elite skills. Comparing him to Ceda is stupid. Ceda's BB/9 is about 15% worse, but his K rate is 40% better, so he's got a better BB/K. But either way, he doesn't have a high ceiling. Being excited about him is just as silly as being excited about Volstad. You're excited about him because he hasn't proven he's mediocre yet. Maybe he becomes Matt Lindstrom. That's probably the best case scenario. .5 HR/9, 3.4 BB/9, 7.4 K/9. Wee! And bringing up what he's done in 9 innings is also silly.
June 5, 201115 yr The worst part was that it was on the first pitch while the boos were still going....and it was a no doubter. He had not homered in 666 AB's. Left-handed hitters own Volstad so it wasn't a complete surprise. Yea because I'm sure everyone thought Nyjer Morgan was going to hit a jam shot HR first pitch, after going 666 AB's without hitting one, come on Erick. I will say that must be why you think Volstad is just "meh" giving up home runs to the likes of Morgan.
June 5, 201115 yr He's Volstad's age. Also, why can't he improve his control? I guess Ceda will never be a future closer considering his career control issues + the fact he has the same advanced age Cishek has. That's just silly. Also, while he's not super at strikeouts, he certainly has more upside for K's than he's shown in the big leagues in a short sample (over 8 K's per 9 innings in the minors). In that same short sample, he's got a 2.77 FIP, 2.16 BB/9, 68% GB rate, 2.43 GB/FB, and an LD% of 4. This doesn't even include the two outs he got tonight which were both groundball outs (really, three groundball outs, considering Bonifacio made an error on one of them). Ceda is great at supressing home runs and has elite strikeout numbers. You can live with the control and hope it improves when you have a couple of elite skills. But either way, he doesn't have a high ceiling. Being excited about him is just as silly as being excited about Volstad. You're excited about him because he hasn't proven he's mediocre yet. Maybe he becomes Matt Lindstrom. That's probably the best case scenario. .5 HR/9, 3.4 BB/9, 7.4 K/9. Wee! Cishek's #'s in the minors have been way more impressive than Lindstrom's were. Not to mention that Lindstrom was basically very old at every level he was in. He started out as a mediocre 22-year old in rookie ball. Even if the K's and BB's end up being Lindstrom, Cishek seems like a guy who would do a lot better considering the amount of groundballs/lack of hard contact from the opponents. Is this just some sort of fluke? Was he not a good GB guy in the minors? I ask because I don't know where to get those #'s for minor leaguers. I'm just basing on his sinking fastball + the fact that he had a good HR/9 in the minors. It seems like he can be an extreme GB guy with decent K rates.
June 5, 201115 yr The worst part was that it was on the first pitch while the boos were still going....and it was a no doubter. He had not homered in 666 AB's. Left-handed hitters own Volstad so it wasn't a complete surprise. Yea because I'm sure everyone thought Nyjer Morgan was going to hit a jam shot HR first pitch, after going 666 AB's without hitting one, come on Erick. I will say that must be why you think Volstad is just "meh" giving up home runs to the likes of Morgan. I think he's meh because he's meh.
June 5, 201115 yr I warned everyone weeks ago that the Marlins left way too many men on base, but nobody took notice because we were winning at the time. Well look now! Even against the Giants I just wanted to see a game when we won it easy and didn't take things to the wire, but always it was the same. You can't just rely on the pitchers to save you every game. Wake up guys!
June 5, 201115 yr And bringing up what he's done in 9 innings is also silly. He's facing big league hitters and getting an extreme amount of groundballs. I'm just saying I really like what I've seen of him so far, and I'd like to see him with a better role to maybe see how long it takes for him to prove me wrong (or right). It's not as if any of our right-handed middle relievers on the roster are all that impressive right now, so why not?
June 5, 201115 yr He's Volstad's age. Also, why can't he improve his control? I guess Ceda will never be a future closer considering his career control issues + the fact he has the same advanced age Cishek has. That's just silly. Also, while he's not super at strikeouts, he certainly has more upside for K's than he's shown in the big leagues in a short sample (over 8 K's per 9 innings in the minors). In that same short sample, he's got a 2.77 FIP, 2.16 BB/9, 68% GB rate, 2.43 GB/FB, and an LD% of 4. This doesn't even include the two outs he got tonight which were both groundball outs (really, three groundball outs, considering Bonifacio made an error on one of them). Ceda is great at supressing home runs and has elite strikeout numbers. You can live with the control and hope it improves when you have a couple of elite skills. But either way, he doesn't have a high ceiling. Being excited about him is just as silly as being excited about Volstad. You're excited about him because he hasn't proven he's mediocre yet. Maybe he becomes Matt Lindstrom. That's probably the best case scenario. .5 HR/9, 3.4 BB/9, 7.4 K/9. Wee! Cishek's #'s in the minors have been way more impressive than Lindstrom's were. Not to mention that Lindstrom was basically very old at every level he was in. He started out as a mediocre 22-year old in rookie ball. Even if the K's and BB's end up being Lindstrom, Cishek seems like a guy who would do a lot better considering the amount of groundballs/lack of hard contact from the opponents. Is this just some sort of fluke? Was he not a good GB guy in the minors? I ask because I don't know where to get those #'s for minor leaguers. I'm just basing on his sinking fastball + the fact that he had a good HR/9 in the minors. It seems like he can be an extreme GB guy with decent K rates. Matt Lindstrom's career line is 3.8 ERA, .5 HR, 3.4 BB/9, 7.4 K/9. That would be a minor improvement in control and a minor drop in HR and K from his minor league numbers. That seems totally reasonable to me, given the jump in talent. It's not like he was a starter, and you can expect some improvement based on relieving. He's been a reliever. Expecting marked improvement is silly.
June 5, 201115 yr And bringing up what he's done in 9 innings is also silly. He's facing big league hitters and getting an extreme amount of groundballs. I'm just saying I really like what I've seen of him so far, and I'd like to see him with a better role to maybe see how long it takes for him to prove me wrong (or right). It's not as if any of our right-handed middle relievers on the roster are all that impressive right now, so why not? Basing anything on what Cishek has done is like basing your opinion of Volstad's career on that one complete game he threw last year.
June 5, 201115 yr And bringing up what he's done in 9 innings is also silly. He's facing big league hitters and getting an extreme amount of groundballs. I'm just saying I really like what I've seen of him so far, and I'd like to see him with a better role to maybe see how long it takes for him to prove me wrong (or right). It's not as if any of our right-handed middle relievers on the roster are all that impressive right now, so why not? Basing anything on what Cishek has done is like basing your opinion of Volstad's career on that one complete game he threw last year. It's a small sample, as is the case a lot of times when people get excited about prospects on here over short samples. Like, Ceda's improved control has only been for 25 innings in AAA (short sample). Fans get excited over Dominguez hitting 3 HR's in 2 games (short sample). No one gets excited about Volstad because he's been in the big leagues for awhile and has done nothing but remain constant or even regress in some areas (like his GB rates) from day one. Considering everyone's drooling over Ceda's #'s this year and asking for his callup, would it count if I bring up some of Cishek's AAA #'s for some excitement maybe? His #'s against righties this year, he has a 6.9 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, and a 3.14 GO/AO (so I guess he's basically been dominating with groundballs this year in the minor leagues, as well). Even if Cishek is just another quality depth arm I'm excited about that, too. Relievers are overvalued these days. Ryan Webb got the Padres an everyday CF'er.
June 5, 201115 yr People are excited about Jose Ceda because of his pedigree and his past, not just his AAA numbers. I don't get why you would even disagree that he's a 5th bullpen arm. But I'll agree with you if it makes this pointless argument stop. Holy crap, whatever.
June 5, 201115 yr I am glad LoMo didn't break his shoulder...what a catch and THUD in the top 3rd. Damn.
June 5, 201115 yr People are excited about Jose Ceda because of his pedigree and his past, not just his AAA numbers. I don't get why you would even disagree that he's a 5th bullpen arm. But I'll agree with you if it makes this pointless argument stop. Holy crap, whatever. I just think it's silly to label a 24-year old with pretty good stuff as a 5th reliever, at best. Especially when relievers rise and fall each and every year. And again, even if he's just a "5th reliever," SD traded a similar 5th reliever to get a potential everyday CF'er this past offseason. Young relievers with good stuff/controlled by the team for the next handful of years have plenty of value nowadays if they put up some sort of track record at the big league level. Especially now with about 1/3 of the team's in baseball being in debt.
June 5, 201115 yr Bonifacio-Morrison-Dobbs-Stanton-Buck 0-19 today Chris Volstad had more hits in this game then these five guys combined.... If you include Infante its 1-22
June 5, 201115 yr Was at the game, surprised to see so many Brewers fans. Such a crushing feeling when Morgan hit that, the whole stadium remembered what happened last year. Where were you sitting? right field next to the foul pole, was with my family and little brother didn't get to scream anything :/ Monday, however, I will be with some friends near home plate
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.