Brad Davis DFA, Jose Lopez Selected

Admin

Lopez will be on the roster for tonight's game. Davis was designated for assignment to open a 40-man spot

Hmm, strange choice for the DFA. I figure catching depth is a commodity and Davis at least showed being able to hang at this level. Am I looking too much into this but does this mean Baker's rehab is going well that he might slide up here sometime soon and thus we don't need Davis at all?

Anyways, welcome Jose Lopez, it'd be a miracle if he somehow caught fire and became our everyday third baseman.

If we're starting Jose Lopez at this point you know we're desperate. Last year he was in the bottom 3 worst starters in all of baseball offensively. I would have liked to see Dominguez get a shot now, since there's not much risk and it's not like we have much to play for these days.

If we're starting Jose Lopez at this point you know we're desperate. Last year he was in the bottom 3 worst starters in all of baseball offensively. I would have liked to see Dominguez get a shot now, since there's not much risk and it's not like we have much to play for these days.

Agreed but I think we're pretty desperate. At least Lopez has a bit of a major league history... I don't see the harm in giving him a shot. I hope he's that lightning in a bottle player.

I have low expectations. His career OPS is under .700, and the last full season he had his OPS was only .609. That's atrocious.

To put Lopez's insanely bad 2010 in perspective, he had a lower OPS that year than Bonifacio did in 2009.

In fact, right now Bonifacio's OPS this year is around .750, which is about 100 points above his career average.

Hmm, strange choice for the DFA. I figure catching depth is a commodity and Davis at least showed being able to hang at this level. Am I looking too much into this but does this mean Baker's rehab is going well that he might slide up here sometime soon and thus we don't need Davis at all?

I think they chose Davis because he is likely to clear waivers, and yes the fact Baker should be back soon probably factored into it also.

For Dominguez, he may not have cleared the Super 2 date yet, so that may play a role. Also, they may just not think he's ready and not want to rush him.

Anyone thinking Ceda for Mujica if we find out Mujica's wrist injury is serious?

It's a sprain, and he is currently day-to-day.

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2011/06/15/mujica-sprains-right-wrist/

Mujica sprains right wrist

PHILADELPHIA – Marlins reliever Edward Mujica exited Game 1 on Wednesday with a right wrist sprain.

The right-hander, who mainly pitches in long relief, is listed as day to day.

Mujica had an X-ray after the game, and he isn’t sure if he will miss just a few days or need more time.

The Phillies breezed to an 8-1 win in Game 1 of the day-night doubleheader.

In the seventh ining, Mujica was shaken up after colliding with Wilson Valdez, who reached on an infield single.

With two outs, Valdez hit a grounder that was fielded by second baseman Omar Infante, who made the short throw to Mujica. Mujica raced to the bag, and he toppled over Valdez, who made a head-first slide.

Mujica tumbled to the ground, landing on his right wrist. He tried to brush it off, and he was ready to attempt a warmup pitch before he headed to the clubhouse.

Burke Badenhop relieved Mujica, who was appearing in his 30th game.

– Joe Frisaro

Considering Lopez hits right handed... what he basically does is take Helms out of the starting lineup and leave him on the bench for his real role, pinch hitting... whether he's been successful so far this year or not, I'd rather have Wes pinch hitting and have Lopez starting over him at the moment. Lopez *can't* be worse than Helms as a starter right now.

In that sense, in the dumps we're in now, Lopez is at least a relative upgrade.

Lopez will be on the roster for tonight's game. Davis was designated for assignment to open a 40-man spot

Anyways, welcome Jose Lopez, it'd be a miracle if he somehow caught fire and became our everyday third baseman.

Davis doesn't do anything that any number of minor league catchers on every roster are capable of doing- mainly bringing a catchers mitt and actually showing up.