Boni wins arbitration

AeroFishOne

According to multiple people on twitter Bonifacio wins his arbitration case.

Clark Spencer thinks the Marlins need to rethink their arbitration strategy since we're 3-6 on arbitration cases since 2003 and on a 5 case losing streak.

The arbitration decision is but a final part in a single, complex negotiatiom which itself fits into a web comprising the entirety of the Marlins financial management, including its reputation, which affects its [future] negotiation leverage and results.

Spencer should be embarrassed to a statement based on such incomplete analysis, especially with such a small sample, where 1 more win before today would have had them right at .500.

This really doesn't surprise me.

Last year Boni played every position (except for C & 1B) & still managed a BA just under .300 (.296) along with 40 SB's.

Hes finally learned how to keep the ball on the ground and get it past the infield. Last year he won the Flat Bat Award with the second highest BA on bunt hits & third highest total bunt hits.

I'm actually glad Boni won this case & got the raise. The Marlins really needed him last year & he stepped it up. Considering the team was willing to spend around $250MM on Pujols it's actually surprising that they were stingy on a mere $250K (I just think it would have been a nice gesture for them to give him the money he showed he deserved instead of having to make him go through all the troubles of arbitration).

Clark Spencer thinks the Marlins need to rethink their arbitration strategy since we're 3-6 on arbitration cases since 2003 and on a 5 case losing streak.

The arbitration decision is but a final part in a single, complex negotiatiom which itself fits into a web comprising the entirety of the Marlins financial management, including its reputation, which affects its [future] negotiation leverage and results.

Engrish please

Engrish please

OH, THEY MAKE DEAL. BUT THEY ALSO MAKE MANY MORE DEAL THIS YEAR. IF DEAL GOOD, THEY MAKE MANY MORE GOOD DEAL NEXT YEAR. CONGRADURATION! SANK YOU VERY MUCH!

The Marlins' offer wasn't much less relatively speaking so no big deal here.

Are you Ed Hochuli?

Are you Ed Hochuli?

This went over my head, so I'm going to have to call a "Personal Foul, Giving Him the Business, 15 Yards, Automatic First Down" on you.

This really doesn't surprise me.

Last year Boni played every position (except for C & 1B) & still managed a BA just under .300 (.296) along with 40 SB's.

Hes finally learned how to keep the ball on the ground and get it past the infield. Last year he won the Flat Bat Award with the second highest BA on bunt hits & third highest total bunt hits.

I'm actually glad Boni won this case & got the raise. The Marlins really needed him last year & he stepped it up. Considering the team was willing to spend around $250MM on Pujols it's actually surprising that they were stingy on a mere $250K (I just think it would have been a nice gesture for them to give him the money he showed he deserved instead of having to make him go through all the troubles of arbitration).

You must be the guy on MLBTR!!! Lololol

As for my last comment on there: of course it'd be silly for him to give a discount. But that works both ways.

There's an established payroll structure, and players choose to play MLB baseball and thus abide by those rules. I don't understand the heavy pro-employee bias, but that's just me.

Engrish please

Just because they've lost 6 of 9, doesn't mean their strategy is bad.

First, it's a small sample.

Second, their unwillingness to settle (and willingness to go to arbitration) might give them more leverage in pre-arbitration negotiations, thus saving them more money than they've lost in these arbitration hearings (or at least somewhat).

It's just not a simple "3-6 is below .500 so they're bad" calculation.

To add to that, I think Anibal's case could have really gone either way. Arbiters aren't known for their baseball knowledge and have been known to penalize mediocre W-L records and reward big RBI totals. Nothing wrong with the Marlins offer to Anibal.

Also, the 8 million Sanchez got was the highest total ever awarded to a pitcher in arbitration. Can't blame the Marlins for thinking they had a case.

i had no issue what they were offering anibal and because there was a much larger gap between what they wanted to pay and what anibal wanted....however it was like 200-300K for a player that was clearly one of the most valuable guys the Marlins had last season. That would have seemed like a slap in the face to me if I was Boni..especially aftering going crazy in FA and courting Boni's possible replacement (who has yet to see an MLB pitch and will command at least twice what Boni makes)

poor form by the front office on this one

I Don't see it as poor form really. Maybe they value Boni more as a super utitlity guy. Boni had a great year last season, no denying that but before the he was average and never put in as many games as he did last year. The FO has the oppotunity to try to get a player that is highly touted though unproven that would appeal to a broad audience and could possibly make a bigger impact on the scoreboard then Boni could.

There will be a spot for Boni as I'm sure injuries will pop up at some point(fingers crossed for no injuries)

Are you Ed Hochuli?

That's hilarious :LOL:

Are you Ed Hochuli?

This went over my head, so I'm going to have to call a "Personal Foul, Giving Him the Business, 15 Yards, Automatic First Down" on you.

Ed Hochuli is that NFL referee that has the big arms. He's also a lawyer in San Diego during the week.

Are you Ed Hochuli?

Ed Hochuli is that NFL referee that has the big arms. He's also a lawyer in San Diego during the week.

Yeah, I know who he is, I just missed the reference to his wordy calls, I guess ha

I don't see anything wrong with the team taking players to arbitration. People seem to think that means automatically that its contentious or that theres bad blood. Its part of the business and people understand that.

Yeah, that's my thought as well.

I don't see anything wrong with the team taking players to arbitration. People seem to think that means automatically that its contentious or that theres bad blood. Its part of the business and people understand that.

Yeah, that's my thought as well.

I agree. I think the team has to make it's case why the player isn't deserving and paint them in the worst possible light, though, which is where those worries probably stem from.

It seems overblown. I don't know if the players even attend the hearings or hear what is said.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.