POLL : Is Opening Day 1993 or Opening Night 2012 bigger for you ?

Old Timer

I'm torn. I was there on that hot but gorgeous day in 1993 when the Marlins beat the Dodgers (forget the score - was it 5-3 ?) and they took down one of the best pitchers in all of baseball at the time, in Orel Hersheiser.

This, however, is something I've been waiting for since that day, because I knew and so did many others that Sun Life could only be a temporary home for baseball. Then it lasted 19 long seasons.

I think I will have to go with 2012, because this is the REAL beginning of baseball here in Miami. Finally there will be no "comme si, comme sa" in regards to the Marlins future. Its here and to stay.

Guest Guest

David Cone, Gary Carter, Howard Johnson, those were my favorites growing up until 1993 when my favorites became Charlie Hough, Jeff Conine, Bryan Harvey and Chuck Carr.

David Cone, Gary Carter, Howard Johnson, those were my favorites growing up until 1993 when my favorites became Charlie Hough, Jeff Conine, Bryan Harvey and Chuck Carr.

Any day now you will reveal that this site has been a huge joke and it will turn into metsbaseball.com

I don't remember opening day 1993, but I still voted for it. How can anything but the franchise's inception be biggest? Sure, we're sporting a new look and a new stadium, but that's it.

I'm actually surprised how many here don't remember 1993. I can't claim opening day, but I watched them for most of 1993, and can still remember every player from that lineup, and probably team, extremely well.

93-easy. The emotion I had walking in to the stadium that day. The emotion was just that it was baseball, major league and our own team. There were no concerns about the future of the sport-no contraction, no fire sales, no movement out of town-just the joy of having baseball. This one is important also because of what it means, the guarantee of baseball and no more worries about contraction, moving out of town etc. and of course, a real ball park feel.

But nothing can beat the pure 1993 feeling.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.