The Marlins look like the most careless team in baseball.

dirtyarcade

Anybody else bugged by the fact that after someone like say LoMo strikes out or pops up with RISP and 2 outs in a late inning, rather than show emotion, he just mopes his way back to the dugout all casually and business as usual? I see this with other guys too aside from LoMo. It's like all our players are content with losing so long as they are still getting paid. It's super f***ing annoying. I remember back in the day when Alex Gonzalez would strike out, he'd be pissed, maybe smack his bat on the floor, scream at himself, SOMETHING. I mean, I get that you should maintain some sort of composure out there but sh*t, show that you have some damn life in you! Especially when we're playing as bad as we are right now.

This team needs a damn fire under their ass. I can't stand watching them right now. I bought tickets a few weeks ago to see them play this Friday against Philly, and I'm driving 6 hours to go see the game. Now I'm starting to second guess my decision to make the drive since it's just a pain in the ass, if we just plan on f***ing losing 12-1.

I'm trying to keep the faith, I really am. I've been with this team since 95', and haven't stopped being a fan since. But it's been long time since 03' to not have made the playoffs. After all these changes, I was really expecting a difference, but so far.....f***.

I think for once, we should have a game where every damn hitter that gets on base, has to steal. Who cares if he gets caught? Does it matter? It's not like anyone else is making the plays to get RISP. We're a fast team, why the f*** don't we play like we are?

PLAY MORE AGGRESSIVELY DAMMIT.

I hate how baseball in general is such a private behind the scenes sport. When you watch basketball, you regularly get to see coaches talking to players about making adjustments, and getting them fired up. The same goes for football and soccer. But baseball is the only sport where you'll see a guy have a horrible approach at the plate every time he's up, strikes out, and walks back into the dugout without anyone saying a word to him. I think this also makes it more frustrating for the fans because we don't get to see what the players or coaches have to say about a particular game, and it leaves us wondering if anyone even gives a sh*t that we're playing so bad. I'm not expecting for baseball to completely change as far as how players and coaches act, but sh*t, you'd think we'd have mic'd up dugouts nowadays with the way it's done in every other sport.

Just something, something to make me feel more connected to the players as people. I feel like with the Miami Heat, you really have an idea of who these dudes are as people. You see their interactions with each other, you see them yelling trying to get each other hyped up, what the coaches are saying.

It's all about situational hitting, this team doesn't know how to do it, and it won't get any better until we get a coach who teaches that.

I think Gaby Sanchez moved a runner to 3rd today by grounding to the right side and that was honestly the first time I have noticed someone on the team do the little things right since... heck... ever. Dobbs does it on occasion, and every once in a while so does Infante, everyone else is clueless.

I guess what I'm describing is the type of baseball they play in Cuba. It's just more lively, with a lot more banter between players. When a player is on base, you'll see him yelling at the dude at bat to get a hit and drive him home. You'll see players strike out, and when they walk back to the dugout you'll see the coach talking to them, either telling them something to change, or just giving them a little pep talk. And it's not like I've never seen this before in MLB. There's been teams in the past that play like this. Like you get the feeling all the guys are friends and actively enjoy playing with each other. You just don't get that feeling with this current Marlins team. Whether that's the coaches fault or not, I don't know, but realistically when you take a look at our record and the way we're playing, you start to get the feeling maybe these guys either don't care, or they're just not MLB caliber players.

I know I'm going on and on, and most of this stems from the fact I'm so pissed off at this team right now, but in my honest opinion if we don't change things around fast, it might be time to start considering a new coaching staff. Ozzie clearly isn't getting through to these guys.

As a Hispanic who knows a lot of guys like Ozzie in terms of how they manage, I don't think Ozzie is the right coach for this team right now. Sometimes I cringe at the sh*t he says in post-game interviews, most of it due to the language barrier, but it's still sh*t he's saying. I get the feeling he just thinks things will change on their own because well hey "this team has a lot of talent, and we're better than this".

Sucks I even have to say this, I was so excited when I found out Ozzie was coming. :confused

"Be more aggressive" is always the magic mantra for every player who is struggling in every sport.

True, but in baseball being more aggressive actually translates to more stolen bases, more aggressive baserunning, which in turn equals more runs or the potential for runs.

True, but in baseball being more aggressive actually translates to more stolen bases, more aggressive baserunning, which in turn equals more runs or the potential for runs.

Maybe. It could also lead you to situations like Ozzie's old chicago teams that stole bases at like a 68% clip. That is bad.

But if "everyone who gets on" tries to steal, we're gonna be something like ... 4 for 12. :|

But isn't that better than what we're doing now? I'm just saying, so much talk about adjustments but they're NOT WORKING! You want to switch things up and put a fire under these guys asses? Make them get dirty and earn that damn paycheck! I mean yeah, maybe we don't send LoMo or Kearns, or even Stanton, but everyone else, USE THOSE LEGS.

But if "everyone who gets on" tries to steal, we're gonna be something like ... 4 for 12. :|

But isn't that better than what we're doing now? I'm just saying, so much talk about adjustments but they're NOT WORKING! You want to switch things up and put a fire under these guys asses? Make them get dirty and earn that damn paycheck! I mean yeah, maybe we don't send LoMo or Kearns, or even Stanton, but everyone else, USE THOSE LEGS.

No

No

I didn't mean literally. I honestly think we'd do a whole lot better than that.

I've got a step by step approach to how your method would work.

Step 1 - be more patient at the plate, draw more walks

Step 2 - swipe second like a mothaf***a.

Step 3 - ???

Step 4 - Profit

Step 1 is wrong. "We gotta be more aggressive."

Step 3 - ???

Step 4 - Profit

Not be more patient. Stop swinging for the f***ing fences and just put the ball in play.

Step 3 - ???

Step 4 - Profit

Not be more patient. Stop swinging for the f***ing fences and just put the ball in play.

We should trade Stanton for a slap hitter.

Step 3 - ???

Step 4 - Profit

No, definitely be more patient. Take more pitches.

I am a major advocate of taking the first pitch. If it's right down the middle/able to hit up the middle and there's a runner on third with less than 2 outs, fine, go ahead, but other than that, I hate it when people swing at the first pitch. Make the pitcher EARN his outs. Make him throw more pitches. Be more SELECTIVE. And by God, stop swinging at the bouncing change-up...

Seriously, what's so bad about taking strike 1? Honestly, I think if this team's offense [as a whole] allowed itself to take the first strike in every at bat, we'd probably see A) better swings later on due to pitch recognition and B) the pitcher's pitch count will skyrocket. Opposing pitchers take advantage of our overaggression. Let's be passive aggressive.

Guest Guest

"Be more aggressive" is always the magic mantra for every player who is struggling in every sport.

A lack of aggressiveness or aggressive baserunning isn't really the problem.

This month team OBP is virtually at the bottom of the league. People just aren't getting on base at a clip even close to being satisfactory. You don't worry about aggressive baserunning until you can get on base. The Marlins can't.

Pitching is the other half of it. Team ERA this month is 6.42, which is dead last in the league.

You can attribute this to a large number of players performing below their talent levels.

Step 3 - ???

Step 4 - Profit

No, definitely be more patient. Take more pitches.

I am a major advocate of taking the first pitch. If it's right down the middle/able to hit up the middle and there's a runner on third with less than 2 outs, fine, go ahead, but other than that, I hate it when people swing at the first pitch. Make the pitcher EARN his outs. Make him throw more pitches. Be more SELECTIVE. And by God, stop swinging at the bouncing change-up...

Seriously, what's so bad about taking strike 1? Honestly, I think if this team's offense [as a whole] allowed itself to take the first strike in every at bat, we'd probably see A) better swings later on due to pitch recognition and B) the pitcher's pitch count will skyrocket. Opposing pitchers take advantage of our overaggression. Let's be passive aggressive.

I prefer the patient approach, but taking strike 1 isn't always the right thing to do. I'd say it's highly dependent on the pitcher you're facing, situation, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.