Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins cheapen out on draft pick

Featured Replies

The Marlins have failed to sign their first round draft pick, left-hander Andrew Heaney, after offering him $200,000 less than the recommended signing bonus for that slot. They no longer have time to complete the negotiations before tomorrow's deadline, which means Heaney is free to walk away and play independent ball. But all is not completely lost, we would get the 10th draft pick next year as compensation for our failure to sign Heaney.

 

The sad thing is that we have the money, but the front office decided to be ridiculously cheap and we are losing out as a result.

 

Also a matter of concern, we are in danger of losing third-round Pick Avery Romero, as the Marlins are also pressing him to accept less money than the recommended bonus for his draft slot...but a deal here could still be reached.in time.

 

Folks, we may just botch this year's draft picks. :(

 

http://hardballtalk....-wont-sign-him/

 

http://blogs.sun-sen...ick-heaney.html

I don't really understand why anyone should get a bonus for getting drafted. -_- Earn your bonus through your play. There's no incentive for some of these kids once they sign with these bonuses. "Oh, you gave me $5 million? OK, cool. Gonna just chill over here since I've already made more than all these other guys combined, my skill obviously being superior I won't have to work."

  • Author

I don't really understand why anyone should get a bonus for getting drafted. -_- Earn your bonus through your play. There's no incentive for some of these kids once they sign with these bonuses. "Oh, you gave me $5 million? OK, cool. Gonna just chill over here since I've already made more than all these other guys combined, my skill obviously being superior I won't have to work."

 

 

I disagree. Why would you be lazy after receiving 2.8 million Dollars when with some hard work you could be in the majors in a few years and on the road to potentially making 100 Million Dollars+ over the rest of your career.

Maybe that example's a bit extreme, but in that player's head, he might think, "I'm better than these guys, I don't have to work as hard," since he's already made x amount more money. I think it's ridiculous that a 17 year old Bryce Harper got something like $15 million, if I remember correctly. He could have gotten injured soon after that and never been able to play Baseball again, but they've already cashed that check. Should be an earned bonus.

 

Shouldn't have to spend jack sh*t on a draft pick until he's officially part of one of your Minor League rosters.

Too cheap to spend $200,000 to sign our draft-pick...but not to cheap to blow $27 Million on Heath Bell

 

 

Dude no one knows te full story so how about wait untill we here from the FO first.

Maybe that example's a bit extreme, but in that player's head, he might think, "I'm better than these guys, I don't have to work as hard," since he's already made x amount more money. I think it's ridiculous that a 17 year old Bryce Harper got something like $15 million, if I remember correctly. He could have gotten injured soon after that and never been able to play Baseball again, but they've already cashed that check. Should be an earned bonus.

 

Shouldn't have to spend jack sh*t on a draft pick until he's officially part of one of your Minor League rosters.

 

 

Agree compeltely.

  • Author

Maybe that example's a bit extreme, but in that player's head, he might think, "I'm better than these guys, I don't have to work as hard," since he's already made x amount more money. I think it's ridiculous that a 17 year old Bryce Harper got something like $15 million, if I remember correctly. He could have gotten injured soon after that and never been able to play Baseball again, but they've already cashed that check. Should be an earned bonus.

 

Shouldn't have to spend jack sh*t on a draft pick until he's officially part of one of your Minor League rosters.

 

 

Agree compeltely.

 

I wish things were differently, but there is a nasty trend that dictates that we must shell out obscene amounts of cash before we can even sign up an untested rookie to find out if he is any good for us. Show the money or lose the potential talent. That's the way things are becoming in all sports.

According to BA, the Marlins are $116K under budget as of now on draft picks, so for an extra $84K the Marlins are going to let this guy walk. The signing bonus is for their potential, players like Harper are certainly worth more than others, as a high school kid I would hold out for as much as possible as you've limited your options for later years and taken away the prospect of college being paid for.

"Potential." :|

 

They shouldn't get paid for what COULD happen. They should get paid more for WHAT THEY'VE DONE on the field. I don't mean a college or high school field, either. A Major League field. That's it.

Oh that makes this the fourteenth (or thereabouts) 1st round pick by Beinest that will not help this team.

 

What a guy LOL

Alright. Write Loria a letter, and let him know you can do a better job and Beinfest should be canned immediately for you to replace him. Give 20 reasons why Beinfest should be canned [14 of which will, I'm sure, be about that first round of the draft], and maybe Loria will come to his senses and hire you. I mean, since you can do so much better at drafting.

 

How about putting some of the blame on the players themselves? If they don't improve, that's not Beinfest's fault. That's not Loria's fault. That's their own fault. You can't put blame on Beinfest that Kyle Skipworth can't hit for sh*t. You can't put the blame on Beinfest for Jeff Allison going on a drug binge. You can't fault Beinfest for any of that. All you can do in a draft is pick a guy, and hope things work out. Unless you're who you are, Old Timer, a guy with a crystal ball who will automatically know which player will be a bust or who will shine in the majors.

"Potential." :|

 

They shouldn't get paid for what COULD happen. They should get paid more for WHAT THEY'VE DONE on the field. I don't mean a college or high school field, either. A Major League field. That's it.

 

Yes this argument works well in all professional sports drafts. Unless all sports change there's little that can be done about this.

We're already here, but some of us are not commenting positively or negatively about the deal untill we here something official about it. Which should be commonsense.

"Potential." :|

 

They shouldn't get paid for what COULD happen. They should get paid more for WHAT THEY'VE DONE on the field. I don't mean a college or high school field, either. A Major League field. That's it.

 

Yes this argument works well in all professional sports drafts. Unless all sports change there's little that can be done about this.

 

Does the NHL have signing bonuses? I thought they all had to sign 3 year deals wih set amounts or go back in the draft?

  • Author

Ok...let's put a positive spin on this. Maybe the Marlins think the 2013 draft will be better and decided to hold out and reserve draft picks for next year, or maybe there is still the slim chance that they are just posturing and will extract a last minute deal.

Ok...let's put a positive spin on this. Maybe the Marlins think the 2013 draft will be better and decided to hold out and reserve draft picks for next year, or maybe there is still the slim chance that they are just posturing and will extract a last minute deal.

 

There ya go!

Hopefully when they clean out the front office after this ridiculous season the next FO will know what to do with draft picks.

Heaney was considered an over-reach. Top 8 in this draft were all that mattered. Heaney would've been gone by 21st pick but still a reach. Marlins offered 2.6M, the slot calls for 2.8M. As long as the offered 80% they'll get the 10th pick in next year's draft for sure.

 

This isn't that big of a deal.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.