Posey signs 9 year / 167 mil deal

Guest Guest

Nice birthday present for him (3/27). That's going to be a whole lotta money in the second half of that deal, year 31-35. And I don't see him staying at catcher. Plus he has an injury history. He's a fantastic hitter, though. We'll see how it turns out.

By the way, what are some of these 7-10 year, big money deals that have actually turned out well. Johan Santana is another in the long list of terrible ones.....

Nice birthday present for him (3/27). That's going to be a whole lotta money in the second half of that deal, year 31-35. And I don't see him staying at catcher. Plus he has an injury history. He's a fantastic hitter, though. We'll see how it turns out.

By the way, what are some of these 7-10 year, big money deals that have actually turned out well. Johan Santana is another in the long list of terrible ones.....

He only has an injury history cause of one bad throw to the plate and a collision. I agree, though, will most likely be a first or maybe even third baseman in the future.

Guest Guest

Miguel Cabrera has turned out well so far (8 years/$153 million), for one. Even with the weight issues, he's been pretty durable and hasn't stopped hitting.

Most big contracts have been disasters, though. You never give a 7 year deal to a pitcher or someone older than the mid-20s.

If I were a GM, I'd never agree to pay a player a high dollar amount ($15 million or more) after 34 years of age. Most players tend to hit a cliff at that point. PEDs might have something to do with that.

I don't think this is true.

Most big contracts that have been extensions by a player's team (as is the case with Posey) have actually been pretty successful contracts thus far.

Those are the ones that buy out young players arbitration years. The players sign in the prime of their careers. So it's not surprising if the majority of them work out.

The FA contracts are the ones that almost always fail.

Guest Guest

I think that for most of those it's too early to tell either way. Matt Kemp is one example.

Many of the contract extensions have been disasters too, though. Ryan Howard is one. It's kind of early, but Joey Votto's is certain to be a disaster.

I think that for most of those it's too early to tell either way. Matt Kemp is one example.

Many of the contract extensions have been disasters too, though. Ryan Howard is one. It's kind of early, but Joey Votto's is certain to be a disaster.

Why?

Why?Unless we get the DH in 2017 (hope not, but whatever), Votto will be on the field and swinging a bat for $22,500,000.00 at ages 36-41. That contract doesn't kick in til next season, I do believe.

Why?Unless we get the DH in 2017 (hope not, but whatever), Votto will be on the field and swinging a bat for $22,500,000.00 at ages 36-41. That contract doesn't kick in til next season, I do believe.

He's currently the best hitter in baseball right now.

Guest Guest

Why?

He's getting paid $25 million per year from ages 34 through 39. I find it unlikely that his production will match his salary over most of that period of time. That's a ton of money to be paying out to someone on the wrong side of 35.

Guest Guest

He's currently the best hitter in baseball right now.

I don't see how that justifies the amount of money they'll be paying him at the end of his contract.

You're basically saying that long-term contracts should never be given out though. Is that what you're saying? If so, I'd probably agree, really. Most long-term deals don't look good toward the latter parts of it. You're basically hoping for a bargain in the early portions of the contracts when giving these deals. There was a recent article on fangraphs discussing this sort of thing.

Guest Guest

In most circumstances they are not worth it. I'm cool giving out a 7 year extension to a 26 year old (or younger) position player if he's consistent with the bat and has few injury concerns.

I think it's really dumb, though, to be paying players a ton of money in their mid to late 30s. Those players who produce at that age in extremely rare circumstances and even those are probably PED related. The Reds could end up shelling out $100 million or more to Votto at a point in his career when he's not producing much (if he doesn't have a ton of injury problems before then). I'm not convinced that the "good years" of the early parts of the contract are enough to justify this.

Erick, have you ever let any statement go by on this board without trying to go against it? I'm just curious. I understand he is the best hitter in Baseball RIGHT NOW, but will he be able to keep up this production when he's 36 to 41 years old and they're paying him over 20 million dollars? Doubtful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.