December 19, 201312 yr Hill and Redmond said that they expect to give Garrett Jones the bulk of the playing time at first base--not a platoon. That's not going to be much of a measurable improvement over Morrison. It's silly to anticipate measurable improvement from Hechavarria simply because he "cannot be worse than last year." That's just idiotic logic. McGehee has a .632 OPS in his last 950 MLB plate appearances. And Ozuna should ideally begin the season in the minor leagues. So, I repeat, Salty is the only addition they've made in the offseason that will bring measurable improvement. The lineup could fare better if Yelich and Stanton pick it up. Those are far from certain. There is legitimate reason to expect Stanton to have some DL time too.
December 19, 201312 yr Hill and Redmond said that they expect to give Garrett Jones the bulk of the playing time at first base--not a platoon. That's not going to be much of a measurable improvement over Morrison. It's silly to anticipate measurable improvement from Hechavarria simply because he "cannot be worse than last year." That's just idiotic logic. McGehee has a .632 OPS in his last 950 MLB plate appearances. And Ozuna should ideally begin the season in the minor leagues. So, I repeat, Salty is the only addition they've made in the offseason that will bring measurable improvement. The lineup could fare better if Yelich and Stanton pick it up. Those are far from certain. There is legitimate reason to expect Stanton to have some DL time too. I disagree regarding 1B. The talent level between Morrison and Jones is probably similar, I agree. However, that's not the point. If we're just talking about improvement from last year, I think Jones improves the offense. Morrison had a terrible year last year and he also missed a lot of games. The games he missed, the production was even worse. We got a .230/.309/.333 slash line from 1B last year. Even if Jones plays every day (which is a dumb idea), the 1B production should still be better in 2014. For comparison's sake, Jones is a career .254/.316/.458 hitter.
December 19, 201312 yr As for Hechavarria, he's still the same Adeiny Hechavarria so I'm not sure why we should automatically expect improvement. If it's better, it'll probably just be slightly better. I'm expecting the offensive improvements to come from C, 1B, LF and then I expect Stanton to be better because he's better than what he did last year. Mcgehee is sort of a wildcard. I don't know what to expect with him. He was terrible his last two years in the big leagues but good his first two. He was good in Japan last year, although I'm not sure how that translates. Maybe something in between for him? Even if he puts up an .OPS in the low-700's (I don't think that that's unreasonable), it would still be an improvement over last year. We got a .255/.308/.320 slash line from 3B last year. I guess the conclusion here is that, well, we were so fucking terrible last year...
December 19, 201312 yr You're the man, I wrote sort of the same earlier today in your "p.s. portion". I too don't get why everyone is so down. I'm just asking one to compare this years lineup to last years. It is significantly better. I feel as if we are at least a 78 or so winning team and all it takes are some hot streaks and we can have 90 wins. Every year is a crap shoot so why does everyone have to bring the morale down by complaining. We are making upgrades so everyone chill. Great post though, marlinsmaniac. It's not embarrassingly bad, I'll grant you. The rotation will have to carry the load again and that's a lot to ask of young (though promising) arms. It's still not a good lineup, see penguino's post above. Furcal, McGehee, Jones probably aren't starting on good teams. Hech maybe not even on a bad team. We've got Stanton who we're really just hoping will stay healthy, Yelich, and a catcher coming off a career year. There is at least the chance McGehee and Jones sort of bounce back a little. Some of the moves seem like rearranging the deck chairs, but I am happy they've been active at least, & trying some different things. I don't want to sound like a downer because I'm not, and I love watching baseball regardless so I'll be excited for the season.
December 19, 201312 yr Even 2B could be better. We were so terrible last year. It was like rock bottom. I thought we had actually gotten better production from 2B, but we were horrendous there too. .234/.291/.348 from 2B last year. It's sort of a miracle that we only lost 100.
December 19, 201312 yr I disagree regarding 1B. The talent level between Morrison and Jones is probably similar, I agree. However, that's not the point. If we're just talking about improvement from last year, I think Jones improves the offense. Morrison had a terrible year last year and he also missed a lot of games. The games he missed, the production was even worse. We got a .230/.309/.333 slash line from 1B last year. Even if Jones plays every day (which is a dumb idea), the 1B production should still be better in 2014. For comparison's sake, Jones is a career .254/.316/.458 hitter. Those career numbers for Jones are skewed when you consider that he's been properly platooned by the Pirates for the last couple of seasons. If the Marlins use them as they say they want to use him, the career splits would be considerably lower. He's also starting to get older, so if you expect him to repeat what he did in 2013, the projections are even bleaker. I think that first base would bring a measurable upgrade if they properly platoon, but if you listen to Hill and Redmond, that's not going to happen.
December 19, 201312 yr Even 2B could be better. We were so terrible last year. It was like rock bottom. I thought we had actually gotten better production from 2B, but we were horrendous there too. .234/.291/.348 from 2B last year. It's sort of a miracle that we only lost 100. That 2B line is basically what Furcal did in 2011. Now, he had a better season in 2012, but he missed all of last year, and will now be returning at age 36. The line you quote is close to what I expect from Furcal this season, with maybe a higher batting average. Something like .250/.300/.350.
December 19, 201312 yr That 2B line is basically what Furcal did in 2011. Now, he had a better season in 2012, but he missed all of last year, and will now be returning at age 36. The line you quote is close to what I expect from Furcal this season, with maybe a higher batting average. Something like .250/.300/.350. You understand the line that you yourself just estimated would be an improvement at second base, right? Also, things are said before ST all the time. What they actually end up doing could be very different. I fully anticipate this team to use Lucas OFTEN against LHP, especially because the third baseman we acquired is not left-handed.
December 19, 201312 yr You understand the line that you yourself just estimated would be an improvement at second base, right? Also, things are said before ST all the time. What they actually end up doing could be very different. I fully anticipate this team to use Lucas OFTEN against LHP, especially because the third baseman we acquired is not left-handed. A negligible improvement. If the Marlins change their philosophy on platoons, I'd change my opinion. But based on what they've said publicly, there's no reason for me to expect them to do otherwise right now.
December 19, 201312 yr A negligible improvement. If the Marlins change their philosophy on platoons, I'd change my opinion. But based on what they've said publicly, there's no reason for me to expect them to do otherwise right now. Garrett Jones' career is my reason to believe they will do otherwise. They probably made him a few small promises they couldn't keep, such as, "Sure, you can play everyday" and "No, we won't trade you" and they want that to reflect publicly before the season starts.
December 19, 201312 yr Garrett Jones' career is my reason to believe they will do otherwise. They probably made him a few small promises they couldn't keep, such as, "Sure, you can play everyday" and "No, we won't trade you" and they want that to reflect publicly before the season starts. You have absolutely nothing to base that on. We can only take the words of Hill and Redmond at face value. If they realize suddenly that platooning Jones is a wise move, then the production at first base will certainly improve.
December 19, 201312 yr You have absolutely nothing to base that on. We can only take the words of Hill and Redmond at face value. If they realize suddenly that platooning Jones is a wise move, then the production at first base will certainly improve. You're right, I have nothing to base it on, just me using that good ole "common sense" you keep promoting.
December 19, 201312 yr You're right, I have nothing to base it on, just me using that good ole "common sense" you keep promoting. If you had been able to master the "logic" side of things, you would have been able to see that's not the case.
December 19, 201312 yr If you had been able to master the "logic" side of things, you would have been able to see that's not the case. Everything I implied is logical. It's easy to make a player promises when you know he will fail to deliver on his end of the deal. Then the Marlins can use his poor performance against LHP to justify why he's in a platoon.
December 19, 201312 yr Everything I implied is logical. It's easy to make a player promises when you know he will fail to deliver on his end of the deal. Then the Marlins can use his poor performance against LHP to justify why he's in a platoon. There is no reason for the Marlins to have to entice Jones with such a "deal." That's why it's just empty conjecture by your part. When it comes to projecting how the Marlins will use players, the most common sense approach is to listen to their actual statements. This is not to say that the Marlins will never switch to a platoon. It's simply saying that you are making stuff up with no basis.
December 19, 201312 yr There is no reason for the Marlins to have to entice Jones with such a "deal." That's why it's just empty conjecture by your part. When it comes to projecting how the Marlins will use players, the most common sense approach is to listen to their actual statements. This is not to say that the Marlins will never switch to a platoon. It's simply saying that you are making stuff up with no basis. Maybe Jones had an platoon opportunity for similar money on a contender, and chose to come here for full-time ab's because that's what they promised him to sway the decision? I'm not wrong to speculate. I'm not saying I am right, but I am saying it's certainly possible. Front offices and managers say things like this all the time publicly and change their minds constantly. It's nothing new.
December 19, 201312 yr Maybe Jones had an platoon opportunity for similar money on a contender, and chose to come here for full-time ab's because that's what they promised him to sway the decision? I'm not wrong to speculate. I'm not saying I am right, but I am saying it's certainly possible. Front offices and managers say things like this all the time publicly and change their minds constantly. It's nothing new. It's just completely unsubstantiated nonsense. You could just as easily speculate that Jones would prefer to be platooned because it pads his stat line and inflates his value. His career numbers only look appealing because the Pirates have been using him properly over the past couple of seasons. He's a worse player if he plays everyday and you can speculate that Jones knows this.
December 19, 201312 yr It's just completely unsubstantiated nonsense. You could just as easily speculate that Jones would prefer to be platooned because it pads his stat line and inflates his value. His career numbers only look appealing because the Pirates have been using him properly over the past couple of seasons. He's a worse player if he plays everyday and you can speculate that Jones knows this. THAT is nonsense. EVERY player in the history of sports, any sport, wants to be in the game as much as possible. Usually I enjoy a good debate with you, but that was more ridiculous than any statement you've ever made. That's just you trying to find a way to argue with me. If you've ever played a sport before, you should know how dumb that comment is.
December 19, 201312 yr THAT is nonsense. EVERY player in the history of sports, any sport, wants to be in the game as much as possible. Usually I enjoy a good debate with you, but that was more ridiculous than any statement you've ever made. That's just you trying to find a way to argue with me. If you've ever played a sport before, you should know how dumb that comment is. Players want to make as much money as possible. They are inclined to take on whatever role accomplishes that. There is a market for platoon bats.
December 19, 201312 yr Players want to make as much money as possible. They are inclined to take on whatever role accomplishes that. There is a market for platoon bats. Now you're trying to defend nonsense. Players want AB's, they want innings, they want downs, they want points, they want minutes. EVERY player in EVERY sport wants to be in the game as much as possible. They're professional athletes, they are competitors, it's in their nature. To say Jones would prefer to have less playing time in a platoon to make his numbers look better is pure bullshit.
December 19, 201312 yr Now you're trying to defend nonsense. Players want AB's, they want innings, they want downs, they want points, they want minutes. EVERY player in EVERY sport wants to be in the game as much as possible. They're professional athletes, they are competitors, it's in their nature. To say Jones would prefer to have less playing time in a platoon to make his numbers look better is pure bulls***. Why would he want a bunch of PAs against lefties when he's OPSed .578 against them over his career and well under .500 against them over the last three seasons? It's dumb to think that he needed to be enticed by a ton of playing time to sign with the Marlins after that track record against LHP.
December 19, 201312 yr Why would he want a bunch of PAs against lefties when he's OPSed .578 against them over his career and well under .500 against them over the last three seasons? It's dumb to think that he needed to be enticed by a ton of playing time to sign with the Marlins after that track record against LHP. Because he's a baseball player and he wants to get into the batters box as often as humanly possible. He probably doesn't care if it's Jennie Finch pitching, he wants to be in the box. To think otherwise is stupid, honestly, and you're not usually a stupid guy.
December 19, 201312 yr Jones came here because we almost certainly offered the most money, and more importantly he was going to get a starting job. I'm sure that was made clear to him before he signed, since even before that the LoMo trade rumors had begun.
December 19, 201312 yr This is so silly. Jones was non-tendered and almost immediately signed with the Marlins with hardly any (if any at all) rumors of other teams being interested--let alone a contender. The idea that the Marlins need to lure him in with promises is just absurd speculation.
December 19, 201312 yr I read somewhere that McGhee was making more than $1.1m in Japan last year and was due to make $2m this year if he stayed. Definitely seems like dude has something to prove, FWIW. Or he really hates sushi.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.