Jeff Mathis' value extends far beyond the box score

Erick

I posted this article sarcastically because I think he's awful, but I will say that even though I think cERA is a pretty shitty stat, his track record with all these pitchers is actually kind of impressive. Considering the list of pitchers and the differences in ERA, maybe he is making a difference that can't be measured yet.

But seriously, his hitting stats are embarrassing.

I posted this article sarcastically because I think he's awful, but I will say that even though I think cERA is a pretty shitty stat, his track record with all these pitchers is actually kind of impressive. Considering the list of pitchers and the differences in ERA, maybe he is making a difference that can't be measured yet.

But seriously, his hitting stats are embarrassing.

Your hitting stats are more embarrassing.

So Jeff Mathis will likely make a really good coach...

With that said, by no means should he be filling a 25-man roster spot on any major league team. He's one of the only major league players in history who can't even hit the Mendoza line. I don't care if you are one of the best defensive catchers in baseball (Mathis is not that), you should at least have some kind of ability to get on base or hit the ball in order to occupy a roster spot.

It's always amazing when articles about Jeff Mathis come up it is always about the "intangibles" and things that go "beyond the box score". They have to say that because any rational person can look and see that Mathis should've been a career minor leaguer long ago but keeps getting opportunities because he's a good locker room guy and pitchers like him.