Ballpark questions for a trip in May

Hi there.  I am heading to Miami the first weekend of May with my wife (we are piggy-backing on a work trip).

So, I am planning to take in a game on Saturday.  I do have a few questions though:

1.  Are there any restricted access areas?  If I buy a seat in the 500 level for the White Sox, I cannot get into the 100 level.  I would like to walk around and take in as much of the park as possible.  Will these be possible, regardless of where I buy tickets?  I know that there are always ultra-exclusive areas.  I am not talking about those.

2.  Parking looks to be $20 on Saturdays, correct?  If so, Stubhub seems to have cheaper parking, right?

3.  How is the area around the stadium?  Food/bar?  We haven't worked out all the details, but driving in to the park and eating nearby sounds like a decent idea.

I'm sure I'll have more later.....

1. You won't be able to move to an empty seat other than your own until after the 8th inning. If the person sitting in that seat comes back you will have to move. 

You can always move around freely. I do it all the time. You can check out the bobblehead museum, team shop, and the Budweiser balcony. 

2. Parking is cheaper if you take 15 bucks and park at Valero across the street. Or in one of the near by houses. I do it all the time the people are really nice and i never get blocked. (Get there early though)

3. The only place worth eating nearby is Batting Cage, it's a bar and grill across the street from the ball park. 

1. With a little effort u should be able to get into most seating areas, depends on which employees are around because some are more, shall I say efficient at their job than others. As the game goes on they tend to be more lenient. I've always noticed too that there isn't an usher at every aisle or section so if u see one check a couple sections over and u should be able to get in.

2. Parking might be $15 but it might be $20 like u said. I'm assuming those are the parking garages which are your best bet if u don't mind the price. For cheaper there's a bunch of lots and/or people who will let u park on their property within a block or two of the ballpark. If it's just u and your wife u could do this if u feel comfortable, if not the safety and convenience and peace of mind of the parking garages is for u. I've never bought parking on stubhub but that should work fine since you're most likely just buying a season ticket holders parking pass.

3. I'm not the expert on specific food and bars nearby as I've never once stopped anywhere there but from what I know, and I've lived here for like 25 years, your better options are gonna be a few minutes away from the park as opposed to being directly nearby.

Enjoy, hopefully others hear can help h more.

Sent from my HTC One using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

1. The other guys here covered pretty much everything.

The only thing I can think of is that the Clevelander might be restricted, and if this is your first time here I'd probably recommend grabbing a seat there. Very unique, I definitely enjoyed it. Drinks close by, fun atmosphere, and on the field level right behind Yelich.

2. Yeah parking is relatively cheap. Garages will run about 20, some random Cuban guy's yard about 10, and even further away there should be free street parking. The garage is probably your best bet, just for peace of mind.

3. Food. Nothing is really that special at the ballpark, and tbh the surrounding area is lower income and residential. If you are looking for a place to eat, Mary Brickell Village is really nice or maybe Versailles in Little Havana.

Thanks for the info so far.

I wasn't looking to buy in one section and sit/move in another.  I just wanted to know about free movement (walking and seeing everything). 

How bad is traffic in Miami on a Saturday eve?

To add two things, the Clevelander is free after the game so you can check that out afterwards, obviously you won't see the game after it ends but u can grab a drink there and hang out there to check that out.

Free movement around the ballpark is easy and welcome since you're not actually asking to sit in someone else's seats.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with someone above who said food is nothing special. That takes perspective. I'm assuming you're not from down here so there's gonna be plenty of food options that are different to you and that may interest you outside of regular ballpark food like hot dogs burgers and pizza. The Taste of Miami section in the corner of the red quadrant in left field is a more Hispanic style food offerings and I've never disliked anything I've had from there. Some will tell u it's no big deal but u have to remember some of us have eaten that type of food our whole lives and for you it might be something totally new. Also, there's apparently a bunch of new food items throughout the ballpark this year. Check the On Cloud Conine blog because about a week ago they had a post detailing the new food options and where to get them with pics to boot. So yeah, for u I wouldn't say food is no big deal.

Sent from my HTC One using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

Anyone else have this problem where the food looks really great on paper, but then when you're actually there eating it something always feels off? This happens every damn time I go. I get really excited by the food beforehand, but then afterwards it's really nothing special. I always feel the ingredients aren't fresh, fries are always on the stale side, etc. 

To be fair I feel like this happens a lot in that type of environment. That being said, the food at marlins park IS above average. 

Anyone else have this problem where the food looks really great on paper, but then when you're actually there eating it something always feels off? This happens every damn time I go. I get really excited by the food beforehand, but then afterwards it's really nothing special. I always feel the ingredients aren't fresh, fries are always on the stale side, etc. 

To be fair I feel like this happens a lot in that type of environment. That being said, the food at marlins park IS above average. 

I feel like this about 90% of the food in Miami as a whole. 

The Lexus Legends Level is ticket-restricted access, for what it's worth. 

Parking is cheaper online on the Marlins website than in person. marlins.com/parking

Food is good. The new grilled cheese stand is fire. The Bash Burger was pretty good too. I like the pork sandwich at Mama Choa in the Taste of Miami too.

Around the ballpark - not walkable, but there's Ball & Chain on Calle Ocho and Little Bread on 12th Ave that are awesome awesome spots.

• 2 weeks later...

1. You can walk around the park freely. I actually always make my way to the Budweiser Bar in left field towards the end of every game. There's also a much more low key bar in right field. Both bars usually play the Miami Heat playoff games on tv, that's where you will find the fans that are watching both games. The Taste of Miami areas is kind of cool. I really like the chicken sandwich at the regular Burger 305 concession area, and they have had some great craft beers at the stadium as well. That's where I first ever tried Sweetwater Brewery beer, now I work with the beer company. 

2. I park a block behind the Valero. It's $10 to park, and it's super easy to leave the stadium with zero traffic. I have to walk a little further, but I am out immediately.  

3. You DO NOT want to venture to the batting cage (bar across the street). It doubles as a trashy whore house on the weekend nights. They have done a great job with the look and feel of the place, but the crowd that goes there on a weekend night is pretty out there. I have seen some shady stuff going on in videos online about that place, it's like a cheap strip club in the hood.  You will be way better off checking out Wynwood, or Brickell for food/night life option. Check out The Butcher Shop in Wynwood, or Kush by Lokal. The Chili at Kush in Wynwood and Lokal in Coconut Grove is the best chili on earth. Wynwood is the Art District, and hosts the Wynwood Art Walk the second Saturday of every month, so it gets super busy, but it's a great atmosphere. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vince0926
Made it.  At the park now.  We got to Miami today and decided not to wait until tomorrow. It's a nice looking park. Not a huge fan of the colors, but overall I like it. 

then you saw a hell of a game. good for you!

Dakuda was the guy in deep left center that had the Stanton Homer go through his hands. What the media left out is that it literally went through his hands and melted them right off. He's currently at Jackson Memorial's ICU as they try to reconstruct whatever is left. They found the remnants of his hands still attached to the ball inside a Mazda Miata across the street from the stadium. The early prognosis doesn't look good. As soon as Stanton got word of it, he sent Dakuda a set of Giancarlo Hulk Hands to cover his knubs. 

Get well soon, Dakuda!