The remaining pitchers

Admin

with someone like rich hill is it's useless to compare last year to his previous years as he is a completely different pitcher. His curveball is absolutely legit and he should hold up for a year or two

I hear what you saying but if I m gonna spend 20 million let it be  to build the future of the team not on a stop plug. Hill had a great year...a career year. At age 36 it all came together for him. No doubt if he  pitches as well as he did last year and  STAYS HEALTHY, he would made the Rotation better next year. I feel The Marlins are better off investing long term. I have a new crush that the Marlins  would need to get into a bidding war to acquire. Already the World Champion Chicago Cubs are trying to sign this player( I trust Theo Epstein's judgement  over Mike Hill's  a thousand times over) The Marlins should spend in signing Shohei Otani 

Otani is the Japanese Roy Hobbs

"Shohei Otani was honored for both his batting and pitching Monday when he was named MVP of Japan's Pacific League.

Otani helped the Nippon Ham Fighters win the Pacific League pennant and the Japan Series this season. The 22-year-old right-hander went 10-4 as a pitcher and batted .322 with a career-high 22 home runs."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18155219/shohei-otani-named-pacific-league-mvp-japan

Otari has been clocked at 103 mph  1.86 ERA  174/45 K/BB 140 IP and for a bonus as a hitter his OPS was 1.004

Considering The Marlins have Ichiro on the team and receive full TV coverage in Japan would make it much easier to sign him. They would just need to ante up

Otani is not even potentially eligible until next off-season and even that isn't a sure thing yet. He's going to land a deal that eclipses 200 million according to that story. That's a major commitment to a question mark. Let us not forget Hideki Irabu (RIP).

Otani is not even potentially eligible until next off-season and even that isn't a sure thing yet. He's going to land a deal that eclipses 200 million according to that story. That's a major commitment to a question mark. Let us not forget Hideki Irabu (RIP).

Otani is anything but a question mark and him and Irabu aren't even in the same stratosphere (only similarity is played japanese ball). I would absolutely love to have Otani (won't happen obvs)

Otani is anything but a question mark and him and Irabu aren't even in the same stratosphere (only similarity is played japanese ball). I would absolutely love to have Otani (won't happen obvs)

I wouldn't expect you to do anything but take the opposing argument. Every post I make, you go the other way. Even the other day when I suggested having Rich Hill in the rotation makes the team better overall because it lets Phelps go into the pen, you disagreed. Your shtick is becoming very clear.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/11/30/rival-execs-reportedly-believe-cubs-will-be-all-in-on-japanese-star-shohei-otani/

That is true  however it seems his kid is special. I believe the Marlins should also ready themselves to take the plunge. On another note even though Irabu threw hard he didn't throw as hard as this kid. Also, at that age Hideki Irabu was no where near the level of Otani pitching-wise. Their only comparison is that they were both Japenese

Their only comparison is that they were both Japenese

They played in the same league and were both hyped is where I was going with it. Irabu was highly touted too, Yankees or media called him the next Nolan Ryan I believe.  I don't care what nationality they are or were.

I wouldn't expect you to do anything but take the opposing argument. Every post I make, you go the other way. Even the other day when I suggested having Rich Hill in the rotation makes the team better overall because it lets Phelps go into the pen, you disagreed. Your shtick is becoming very clear.

not a shtick i've followed otani for years and adore him as a player. He's very special

They played in the same league and were both hyped is where I was going with it. Irabu was highly touted too, Yankees or media called him the next Nolan Ryan I believe.  I don't care what nationality they are or were.

Otani has a completely and utterly and drastically different repertoire than Irabu had. This is also 2016 not the mid 90s. Baseball scouting and talent assessment have drastically changed despite what you and @Mike Hill think. Otani's stuff is on another level. The only risk for him is TJ surgery, which I'm sure he'll have to get at some point

I still completely disagree on the Phelps thing. He's got 4 pitches and is finally healthy. He should be given a chance to start and has a very good chance to be our 3rd best starter. If they hadn't of traded capps for a few bucks this wouldn't even be a thing