Marlins vs Rays

TaiwanMarlins

"Since Stuart Sternberg purchased the Raysin 2005, the franchise has “lost money from every point in time you can pick,” he toldMarc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. In spite of that, Sternberg has no interest in selling the team and is optimistic about keeping it in Tampa Bay with a new stadium to replace Tropicana Field. “If we are going to propose it, it will be because we believe it works for generations,” said Sternberg, who is encouraged that local politicians – including the mayors of both Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg – have been cooperative in the process. Sternberg & Co. are working on cutting down a half-dozen potential stadium sites to a “pin-perfect” choice. He’s also looking to land a new TV deal sometime in the near future, but he admitted it could be years before that comes to fruition."

Two Florida MLB franchises,which market was better and which owner was worse ?

Just a comparison between two Florida teams,and I'm wondering if Marlins would be a much better franchise under Sternberg.

Maybe but maybe not. Loria got us a ballpark within 7 years of buying the team. Sternberg has been with the Rays for 12 years and still no ballpark. Sternberg is also arguably cheaper than Loria and never once has put any real money into the on field team. At least Loria has gone for it a few times for better or worse. Sternberg doesn't even seem to try and keep his better players outside of Longoria. It's an endless cycle of trading away players to get younger over there. There are almost an unlimited amount of owners better than Loria but I'm not convinced Sternberg is one of them.

I don't think Sternberg would have done much more differently. I actually think we wouldn't have a team.

Loria knew that Miami is a who you know, not what you know place- and let Samson take the reigns on a ballpark and  might have manipulated the fuck out of our politicians but got the job done. The tax payer portion of it was over blown and he found the right loopholes to get the Hotel Bed Tax money and art in public places money.

The teams always has had strong TV ratings and will eventually manifest itself into a big TV deal that will be another key piece for this franchise.

He learned from his montreal mistakes in trying to get a stadium and put up a long, steady fight to get one done in Miami. It's no coincidenc ethat once the Orange Bowl was delapadated and abandoned, the Marlins stadium deal came about pretty quickly (if it werent for Braman).

Sternberg on the other hand has consistantly upset his St Petersberg politians by saying he wants to play in tampa, and they don't trust him. He keeps trying to push the same people to do the same thigns and it's not working. If he wanted to stay in the TB-St.Pete area, he should have stuck to the site of Tropicana to get a stadium built and played for a few seasons in Raymond James. That was his best chance to get anything done in that political enviorment.

St Pete has a little brother complex, and he kept saying Tampa is where he wants to be. He fucked that negotiation up royally. Loria always said he didnt want to move, and he made sure if he did it was to San Antonio or NY (for a moment i believe). Sternberg had pushed for Orlando, Tampa and anywhere else but where he was.

Never mind the baseball decisions, some have been horrendous by Loria- some have been great (2003, Stantons contract).

But for the longevity of this franchise, we got lucky he owned the team during the horrible years and he was stuck here, becuase he had no other choice but to make it work. Huzingua fucked our lease up at Joe Robbie, John Henry didn't want to put in the work (he could have been the best owner) and Loria wanted to up the value and sustainability of the franchise.

He may not make the best baseball decisions, but when he sells- this team is going to be set up pretty nicely for the future and for the next owner.

Sternberg I'm afraid will be forced to move if he ever wants to leave Tropicana Field, and whatever city he ends up in is going to get one hell of a baseball team, and then and only then WILL he truly benefit from his baseball people by moving into a baseball starved market with a ready made contender.

If the rays have gone in the hole the last few years it's because they literally make zero outside of revenue sharing and the national rights deals. Which is mind boggling if true. Almost sounds like a loria we lose money plea which is probably true on paper because it's easy to manipulate numbers. In reality it's retarded and stupid business to have a business that truly loses money for over a decade.

If the rays have gone in the hole the last few years it's because they literally make zero outside of revenue sharing and the national rights deals. Which is mind boggling if true. Almost sounds like a loria we lose money plea which is probably true on paper because it's easy to manipulate numbers. In reality it's retarded and stupid business to have a business that truly loses money for over a decade.

Quite true, but I've visited that Dump in Tampa. A pain to get to, nothing around it except a WaWa and realistically more depressing than a Stipper who can collect social security.

Montreal is the #1 relocation choice at this point though.

Its probably Manfred's preferred location above all others.

Brooklyn wont happen anytime soon.

That's actually kind of sad if true. They had their chance recently to keep a team, and they didn't attempt a single thing. I think Brooklyn should have never lost the Dodgers, and the Rays look like a Faux Dodgers team right down to their touching Don Zimmer tribute.

That's actually kind of sad if true. They had their chance recently to keep a team, and they didn't attempt a single thing. I think Brooklyn should have never lost the Dodgers, and the Rays look like a Faux Dodgers team right down to their touching Don Zimmer tribute.

The Montreal community got fucked over royally in all truth really.

The Montreal community got fucked over royally in all truth really.

You think so, besides the 1994 strike, I can probably argue the whole town didn't support their teams- Expos and Nordiques together. The canadian dollar went down sure, but a game isn't terribly expensive where you can't go out and support them.

Good luck getting the Yankees or your Metropolitans to agree.

Marlins fan first, but I think that was the Road Block when the marlins looked into it or NJ. Admin might know more. If the broadcast rights deal were right, and the teams actually try to split who is home when- it coul dhappen.

You think so, besides the 1994 strike, I can probably argue the whole town didn't support their teams- Expos and Nordiques together. The canadian dollar went down sure, but a game isn't terribly expensive where you can't go out and support them.

Well the Nordiquies were in Quebec City.  

The Expos got fucked by the strike.  Then they got fucked by ownership groups (especially our friend Loria)

Well the Nordiquies were in Quebec City.  

The Expos got fucked by the strike.  Then they got fucked by ownership groups (especially our friend Loria)

Atleast he learned a thing or two up north lol.

With all the shit the Raiders are getting in Las Vegas, think they end up with a MLB team?