Five low-cost starters to target

Admin

Yep. Sign one of them and go in Urena, Conley, Peters, Free agent, and Despaigne/C. Smith/Nicolino/warm body.

Alcantara, Niedert, Gallen, and others up in June/July/August as ready/when needed.

Hopefully a healthy Chen makes an appearance at some point, and they get another potential SP option moving Straily/Bour/Castro/others.

It's not pretty, but who cares. Play the kids.

The benefit of these guys is you can sign them relatively cheap and spin them off at the deadline if they succeed. They have plenty of motivation to succeed, in some cases to resurrect a career.

Exactly. Trade out what you have under contract (Bour, Straily, Castro, Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa) for prospects.

Sign reclamation projects, and trade them out for more prospects in July.

Pretty much.

its crazy how its nearly february and almost 0 top free agents have signed.  And i really havent looked that much into it but off the top of my head i have no idea why.

One thing I think MLB should do just off the top of my head though in regards to high priced free agency is to stop taking away draft picks from teams that sign big free agents.  The teams who lose them should be compensated with a draft pick, but i dont think teams should be penalized for signing big name free agents.  All that's doing is hurting the free agent value of the guys who have rightfully earned the right to be signed to the biggest contracts.

It's a slow offseason, sure, but you still aren't hearing rumors that the Marlins are eager to unload those guys. In fact, at least a couple of articles hinted at the possibility that the Marlins were inclined to start the season with Castro, although one was reading between the lines on what Denbo said about him.

Not saying you in particular since i dont actually remember who was doing it in particular, but people were also complaining that we were making it obvious we intended to trade Stanton and Ozuna and that doing so killed their trade value.  Everything Jeter has said and done since taking over indicates that the front office and new ownership group knows that they need to completely clean house and do a full rebuild.  I dont see anything that has changed that.  Whether it means waiting till the deadline to get the most value or waiting until the hot stove actually gets hot and free agent possibilities disappear, thus opening up trade opportunities.

I specifically think a Straily trade in particular is being held up by the lack of free agent signings.  guys like Yelich and JT will have huge trade markets no matter who is available in free agency, but Straily is a consistent innings eater who has decent trade value, but no one is going to go after him until some of the top free agent pitchers sign. 

It's a slow offseason, sure, but you still aren't hearing rumors that the Marlins are eager to unload those guys. In fact, at least a couple of articles hinted at the possibility that the Marlins were inclined to start the season with Castro, although one was reading between the lines on what Denbo said about him.

Yea but that also doesn't mean anything. If I were the Marlins, I would be tight lipped short term about shipping out other guys based on the fan reaction and Yelich/Realmuto/Castro mouthing off.

Castro I think would be the only difficult one to move. Straily and Bour are cheap and can go fast. Ziegler, Tazawa, and Prado are probably so cheap in prospects they would go fast if the Marlins eat 30-50% of their salary (which I think is reasonable for them to eat).

Castro may be a little difficult based on a lot of contending teams not necessarily needing a 2B. Hell I just looked at the standings from last year, and I have no idea where Castro can go. The best fit might be the team that just traded him and that's not going to happen. Milwaukee could use him, but then Villar is pushed to the bench and I suspect they will give him a shot. They may have to keep him until the deadline when a need arises elsewhere.

Yea but that also doesn't mean anything. If I were the Marlins, I would be tight lipped short term about shipping out other guys based on the fan reaction and Yelich/Realmuto/Castro mouthing off.

Castro I think would be the only difficult one to move. Straily and Bour are cheap and can go fast. Ziegler, Tazawa, and Prado are probably so cheap in prospects they would go fast if the Marlins eat 30-50% of their salary (which I think is reasonable for them to eat).

Castro may be a little difficult based on a lot of contending teams not necessarily needing a 2B. Hell I just looked at the standings from last year, and I have no idea where Castro can go. The best fit might be the team that just traded him and that's not going to happen. Milwaukee could use him, but then Villar is pushed to the bench and I suspect they will give him a shot. They may have to keep him until the deadline when a need arises elsewhere.

I think Milwaukee has a real good shot at getting both Straily and Castro.  A package of both of them to milwaukee makes sense for them given their needs and for us given their prospects.

I think Milwaukee has a real good shot at getting both Straily and Castro.  A package of both of them to milwaukee makes sense for them given their needs and for us given their prospects.

Can't see them pushing Villar to the bench before opening day, and they are in pretty good shape with Anderson/Davies/Chacin/Woodruff and can get by with Suter/Gallardo as their 5 while they see how fast Nelson gets healthy.

They seem like a team that is going to shop in June.

Just saying. Castro may be real tough to move before the season. No one needs a 2B, and Neil Walker is just sitting out there right now too.

Just spit balling, but as of now unless we can get one of those top top top prospects like Acuna/Vlad Jr etc. id keep Yelich and JT and Bour for now and only trade Straily and Castro before the season starts. 

Then roll out the season with a lineup of

C-JT

1b-Bour

2b- Prado

SS- Rojas/Riddle platoon

3b- Anderson

Lf- Dietrich

Cf- Yelich

RF- Cooper/Van Slyke/not yet signed guy.

That isnt good by any stretch of the imagination but its at least major league quality, and with solid and healthy first halves you can increase the value of Bour, Prado, and Dietrich while allowing young guys like Sierra to develop more in the first half in the minors.  Then at the deadline deal Prado and Bour and Dietrich after they've hopefully stayed healthy for the first half and put up some numbers and continue adding pieces to the farm system to keep churning the prospect base we have.

Rotation would be garbage to start the year, but thats expected.  Then after the deadline we can kind of tank the rest of the season and when we have another year of team control we can bring up Neidert, Alcantara, and Gallen and see what we have and then reexamine what we have next offseason going into year 2 of the rebuild with a likely top 5 pick in the draft and hopefully we can get this Cuban IFA guy.