Dietrich to be LF on Opening Day

Admin

Ichiro’s combined WAR the last 2 years: 1.2

Deitrich’s is 3.5

I’m totally fine with Ichiro coming back but not to replace Deitrich in the lineup.  

Well, you're being kind because the last 3 years combined WAR (aka his time as a Marlin) is actually +.6. So yes, 2 out of the 3 years with us, Ichiro had a negative WAR season.

I understand some have an emotional attachment to him and it's Ichiro and all but still baffles me why anyone would want the Marlins to sign him. He's 44 and a lock for .620-.680 OPS type season meaning absolutely no one would want to trade for him at the deadline. He'd be blocking the potential development of a guy like Braxton Lee or Van Slyke. I much rather just plug in some random AAA OF prospect running out of time and hope we get lucky and find the next Cody Ross or Justin Bour or Dan Uggla. Or signing a guy like Jon Jay who could have a solid season and be a trade chip. He needs to go back and play in Japan for a year or two where it all started and retire then.

If the goal is to be competitive as well as evaluative, Brinson, Sierra and Lee comprise the OF. They are superior defenders with great arms. Dietrich lands at 2B, where he's actually done a reasonable job, in platoon with Rojas. Castro needs to be the SS. There is no Addison Russell or Didi Gregorious to supplant him on this roster. His offense will be huge at that position. Opening Day lineup: Lee (huge OBP), Realmuto, Castro, Bour, Prado (ouch), Dietrich, Brinson, Sierra, pitcher. That's one fan's take.

If the goal is to be competitive as well as evaluative, Brinson, Sierra and Lee comprise the OF. They are superior defenders with great arms. Dietrich lands at 2B, where he's actually done a reasonable job, in platoon with Rojas. Castro needs to be the SS. There is no Addison Russell or Didi Gregorious to supplant him on this roster. His offense will be huge at that position. Opening Day lineup: Lee (huge OBP), Realmuto, Castro, Bour, Prado (ouch), Dietrich, Brinson, Sierra, pitcher. That's one fan's take.

Gotta keep several, if not all, of Brinson Sierra and Lee down to delay their service clock and potentially keep them an extra year or two longer. It's a necessary evil forced by the way service time is calculated.