Bats

We don't know how much of an influence Loria had on those bad moves though. A lot of times Loria demanded money back in deals and that would tie Hill''s hands. It has been reported that Loria is the one who pushed for the Cashner trade. He also was the one who wanted to sign Tazawa and Ziegler along with extending Prado -- all against the front office's wishes reportedly.

I don't think Hill is a good GM so I am not trying to defend him, but at the same time -- we have to factor in Loria's work in a lot of the moves.

Don't forget Chen and Volquez... proven Loria choices. 

Mike Hill was way more of a puppet than we realize. To be fair now I wonder how many other GMs are, or have been, in the same position. 

Am I the only thing who remembers hearing good things about Hill before he became President of Baseball Operations? I heard about him when he was assistant GM back around the 2003 championship team years. If he was well thought of then it's not impossible that he can be better then his reputation has shown.

With that said, I absolutely do think he was kept as a transitional piece but it's not at all out of the question that he can win this job in a more permanent basis over time especially if he's good at doing Jeter's specific bidding. Let's be honest that Hill's ability to do Loria's bidding is probably why he was still here to begin with.

Lastly, if Hill was kept in a transitional role then this offseason could be critical for him. He could be cut as soon as the last weekend of the season. If he survives into 2019 he may not be going anywhere. 

Am I the only thing who remembers hearing good things about Hill before he became President of Baseball Operations? I heard about him when he was assistant GM back around the 2003 championship team years. If he was well thought of then it's not impossible that he can be better then his reputation has shown.

With that said, I absolutely do think he was kept as a transitional piece but it's not at all out of the question that he can win this job in a more permanent basis over time especially if he's good at doing Jeter's specific bidding. Let's be honest that Hill's ability to do Loria's bidding is probably why he was still here to begin with.

Lastly, if Hill was kept in a transitional role then this offseason could be critical for him. He could be cut as soon as the last weekend of the season. If he survives into 2019 he may not be going anywhere. 

It also make me wonder about Beinfest too and how many moves were out of his hands.

It also make me wonder about Beinfest too and how many moves were out of his hands.

Good question. I can't say for sure but the question is was Loria more meddling or less meddling. Several have said Loria was less meddling his last few years here but with Chen Volquez Tazawa Ziegler and the Prado extension all being confirmed Loria moves its hard to say that he was less meddling with Hill than with Beinfest. 

More and more I hear Hill speak, the more I think of him as the husband who KNOWS the family needs a new car, but lets the wife (Loria) go and pick out the washer and dryer she likes instead because he's afraid of confronting her about how the ones they have are just fine.

In other words... Girardi had the Balls to tell Loria to STFU, while Hill wanted the job stability.

In other words... Girardi had the Balls to tell Loria to STFU, while Hill wanted the job stability.

I never considered Girardis role in this. What kind or relationship did he have with Jeter?  Perhaps there were conversations there which painted Hill in a more favorable light as you are alluding to 

I never considered Girardis role in this. What kind or relationship did he have with Jeter?  Perhaps there were conversations there which painted Hill in a more favorable light as you are alluding to 

I don't think Hill has anything to do with Girardi here. I think he was making a comparison between a guy who was willing to follow Loria's commands and a guy who literally told Loria off before his first season was even halfway done. 

You know, I never considered that either.

From what I've ever seen, everyone seems to like the guy- and Samson played the role of the two Bobs (office space) before he ultimately left too.

The few times I've interacted with Hill, be it crossing paths in a hallway or staircase- or at Spring Training.. he seems like a friendly enough person to where I felt comfortable saying "Hi" and striking up a little convo and wishing him luck. He SEEMED genuinely happy to have someone pulling for him.

But after the ownershipo change, his media sessions are more company line and more scripted respronses. Chances are he's now able to be more introverted with the media and do his job rather than always interviewing for his next one.

I really hope he succeeds, not only as a Marlins Fan, but as a minoritytoo. They talk about wanting to open doors to the Americas and bring baseball into the inner cities with programs like R.B.I.

If he succeeds, it'll be good for the game.

Lets just hope the "Bi-racial Angel" in the owners suite knows what he's doing.

Disturbing thought.... if Joltin' Joe isn't named the manager in St. Louis anytime soon... I really pray he doesn't come down here and wreck our farm system one mismanaged bullpen and staff at a time.

Gotcha. I misread that 

Yeah I meant it as Michael said- however....

You did bring up a good point, I wonder if Girardi was asked what he thought of the staff as well and what his relationship with Jeter is. Girardi strikes me as someone who would have taken Jeter under his wing in 1996 and shown him how to be a pro.