Reds Sign Derek Dietrich

mrchainsaw

He probably didn't want it as he thought he would get more on the open market from a team that he hoped had a better chance at the postseason. Seems that a lot of free agents have been fooled by their agents into thinking that their markets are larger than they actually are.

But he was non-tendered. Marlins decided very early to not offer him a contract after last season, indicating he wasn't part of the plans. Now I kind of think it didn't have anything to do with money, really. lol

But he was non-tendered. Marlins decided very early to not offer him a contract after last season, indicating he wasn't part of the plans. Now I kind of think it didn't have anything to do with money, really. lol

Yeah, usually after a guy is non-tendered, he's not happy with the team to come back at the lesser price (which was the reason for the non-tender). That's why I'm thinking that the money they signed Walker for could've gone to Dietrich, but he probably didn't want it for multiple factors, some being what I mentioned. Also, with the Reds, he's closer to his hometown in Cleveland. So, that is another factor.

Yeah, usually after a guy is non-tendered, he's not happy with the team to come back at the lesser price (which was the reason for the non-tender). That's why I'm thinking that the money they signed Walker for could've gone to Dietrich, but he probably didn't want it for multiple factors, some being what I mentioned. Also, with the Reds, he's closer to his hometown in Cleveland. So, that is another factor.

Reds also offer him a better chance to have bigger numbers. Hitters park. He could beef his stats up more and land a better contract next off-season in theory.

Reds also offer him a better chance to have bigger numbers. Hitters park. He could beef his stats up more and land a better contract next off-season in theory.

Yes, that's another big factor. Very good point. In theory, if he does get the ABs there, he could be looking at entering the market off of a potential 25+/- HR .270+ avg season, as a lefty bat, who "plays" multiple positions, at age 30. That could potentially get him a 3 or 4 year deal of good $$$.

Yes, that's another big factor. Very good point. In theory, if he does get the ABs there, he could be looking at entering the market off of a potential 25+/- HR .270+ avg season, as a lefty bat, who "plays" multiple positions, at age 30. That could potentially get him a 3 or 4 year deal of good $$$.

This back handed comment made me lol

I think the # in arby would have been closer to $4 million. 

$4 million for the longest tenured Marlin on the team (2013).  Giving the fans an ounce of “hey, I at least recognize that guy”.  

$4 million for 15-20 HR’s on a team that will be starved to score runs.  

Getting rid of Deitrich was almost as dumb as getting rid of Wittgren.