Manny Diaz Replies

miami15

Alex: I am sorry you feel that way. I do care, not just because I am the Mayor of Miami, but also because I am a life-long baseball fan. During the World Series run, I always indicated that the jubilation over the Marlins miracle should not be confused with the fact that ultimately a stadium deal is a business deal. While positive emotions get you to the negotiating table, no one should "give away the store" for nothing. This is not an easy business transaction, made more difficult by the fact that the Marlins have no cash today to invest in the stadium. The City of Miami never offered money. We have none to give. Nor for that matter does Miami-Dade County. The alleged money they are contributing are not general fund dollars. Just ask them. Rather, they are contributing convention development taxes generated in the City of Miami and Miami Beach primarily and currently dedicated (or least would be diverted from) other projects. I have no issue with this, just want you to understand that it is not their money.

We are still prepared to look for sites. Keep in mind that we have suggested the Orange Bowl to the Marlins on numerous occasions. To date, they have turned us down. Alternatively, a downtown site would have to be assembled, i.e. the land would have to be purchased or condemned from private owners. The cost of such an effort would be somewhere between 75-100 million. Where would you suggest this money be obtained?

Trust me, this is not about cameras and parades. When the cameras are no longer on me, I have to do the right thing for taxpayers of Miami, notwithstanding my own personal enthusiasm for baseball.

I hope Santa understands.

Interesting . . .

Alex:? I am sorry you feel that way.? I do care, not just because I am the Mayor of Miami, but also because I am a life-long baseball fan.? During the World Series run, I always indicated that the jubilation over the Marlins miracle should not be confused with the fact that ultimately a stadium deal is a business deal.? While positive emotions get you to the negotiating table, no one should "give away the store" for nothing.? This is not an easy business transaction, made more difficult by the fact that the Marlins have no cash today to invest in the stadium.? The City of Miami never offered money.? We have none to give.? Nor for that matter does Miami-Dade County.? The alleged money they are contributing are not general fund dollars.? Just ask them.? Rather, they are contributing convention development taxes generated in the City of Miami and Miami Beach primarily and currently dedicated (or least would be diverted from) other projects.? I have no issue with this, just want you to understand that it is not their money.

We are still prepared to look for sites.? Keep in mind that we have suggested the Orange Bowl to the Marlins on numerous occasions.? To date, they have turned us down.? Alternatively, a downtown site would have to be assembled, i.e. the land would have to be purchased or condemned from private owners.? The cost of such an effort would be somewhere between 75-100 million.? Where would you suggest this money be obtained?

Trust me, this is not about cameras and parades.? When the cameras are no longer on me, I have to do the right thing for taxpayers of Miami, notwithstanding my own personal enthusiasm for baseball.

Interesting . . . Well now I know he isn't a jerk....

In any case, that brings up many good points though who would want to play in the Orange Bowl as a baseball team....

We need to keep this up because they will start to see that many people will support the stadium and the tax issue...

Great! :lol

I see Manny's point, I think the Marlin's want too much without commiting much. Let's be objective here.

They want a prime location, but aren't willing to committ additional dollars.

On the other hand, the Miami polititians (including Manny) over hyped the stadium during the parade and such. They made it sound like a slam dunk at that moment.

I hope something can be worked out.

He has a point, guys. The Marlins just don't have the $$ right now and Miami-Dade County/City of Miami has other things to deal with (they're really busy with transit now a days). The Orange Bowl could've worked,but it would've been the same problem as PPS since the 'Canes play there as well. So I see both sides here.

Hopefully, the Marlins can get a deal done.

I see Manny's point, I think the Marlin's want too much without commiting much. Let's be objective here.

$200 million isn't enough for the marlins to commit? other municipalities have covered the entire cost of their teams' stadiums. the marlins' contribution is more than adequate, and the fact that they are willing to pay for any cost overruns should make their financial contribution a non-issue.

let's be honest here. $73 million + land for a stadium really isn't a whole lot.

there really aren't too many locations in miami-dade county that would be suitable for a long-term investment such as a baseball stadium. asking the team to play in the orange bowl is ridiculous. it's worse than sharing a football stadium with the dolphins.

honestly, i'm extremely disappointed that the city and county aren't willing to contribute more to this venture. it is unquestionably in the best interests of the citizens that the marlins have a stadium to play in. that should be sufficient for the politicians to make their decisions.

$200 million isn't enough for the marlins to commit? other municipalities have covered the entire cost of their teams' stadiums. the marlins' contribution is more than adequate, and the fact that they are willing to pay for any cost overruns should make their financial contribution a non-issue.

let's be honest here. $73 million + land for a stadium really isn't a whole lot.

there really aren't too many locations in miami-dade county that would be suitable for a long-term investment such as a baseball stadium. asking the team to play in the orange bowl is ridiculous. it's worse than sharing a football stadium with the dolphins.

honestly, i'm extremely disappointed that the city and county aren't willing to contribute more to this venture. it is unquestionably in the best interests of the citizens that the marlins have a stadium to play in. that should be sufficient for the politicians to make their decisions. I see you point, but where are the $200 Million from the Marlins? If they don't have the cash to show for the city has the right to question the Marlins financial situation. So far, it doesn't seem that anyone is willing to stand behind the Fish and gurantee their piece of the deal (not even MLB)

On the other hand, the City shouldn't have gone public about "if you build it, would you come" statements without taking another look at this.

That wasnt really him he must get thousands of letters a day.

Manny Diaz is the mayor of city which is too apathetic to produce any changes. Thousands of letters is quite an overstatement on your part. My bet is that Mr. Diaz gets a small fraction of that each day and is easily able to answer that because he has nothing else to do.

Keep in mind that we have suggested the Orange Bowl to the Marlins on numerous occasions.

Anybody care to explain to me how you turn the orange bowl (football exlusive) into a baseball field? who would want to go there to watch a baseball game anyway? Worst idea ever. Agree, all the whiners that complain about the Pro would look back like it was the Ritz Carlton

Keep in mind that we have suggested the Orange Bowl to the Marlins on numerous occasions.

Anybody care to explain to me how you turn the orange bowl (football exlusive) into a baseball field? who would want to go there to watch a baseball game anyway? Worst idea ever. It wouldn't be played IN the Orange Bowl. It would be IN THE AREA of the Orange Bowl. You can't touch the OB IMO, it's much to sacred to us real Canes fans. Too much tradition there.

Manny is right.....

Like I always said this will be alot easier if the Marlins were own by some one who had bigger pockets.The Marlins want everything to be handed to them.Why don't they try harder to get private money from companies willing to pay for advertising in the new stadium.They need to be more creative for this deal to work.

On the other hand, the Miami polititians (including Manny) over hyped the stadium during the parade and such. They made it sound like a slam dunk at that moment.

I hope something can be worked out.

Absolutely agree on everything you said.

Manny and the rest of the politicians are at fault for getting over-excited after the World Series (who didn't?), but I remember him BEFORE the WS saying how the city had no money and that it had to be considered regardless of how much we want the Marlins here.

i dont see how this has anything to do with the marlins coming up with their end of the deal.

the city could easily make stadium land available contingent upon the marlins coming up with their portion of the money by march, just as the county did with the $73 million.

the city isn't going to contribute ANYTHING if the marlins come up with their end of the bargain. by discussing whether or not the marlins can come up with their money, the politicians are attempting to change the subject and deflect blame from themselves.

maybe we should do what the rockies did. Have the tri county area get together, pick a site that is best for all and all give money as well as the Marlins to build it.

No because that would have to be a Broward park and Dade wouldn't pay for their own so why would they pay for one in Broward.

You can't touch the OB IMO, it's much to sacred to us real Canes fans.

yeah, all 10,000 of you

The OB could be an interesting venture. I think it would cost very little to reconfigure it towards being a baseball stadium with football capacity. I believe that Pac Bell also hosts college bowl games. If I am correct, there is no reason why the OB could be reconfigured to house extra seating that rolls out during football season. The Hurricanes only have to host at most 6 games. Besides, you get the OB nice enough - it may be able to snatch the OB game back from JRS - which would hurt H-Bomb and bring more revenue to that venue.

There is upside here. The Marlins, Hurricanes, and the city of Miami and Dade County could all collaborate and share the cost of such a venture. It could be done in stages - first the stadium reconfiguration, then after some years of more revenue, add a retractable dome. Add to the stadium over the years as the money comes in, not all at once - this is more economically viable. We of course, would have to find a solution for parking - extend the Metro out there, provide parking garages. You could even re-zone/redevelop the area to be more suited for business - restaurants, etc. Like Wrigleyville in Chicago...it would take years.

Plus, another upside is that this venue, a revamped OB, would be used YEAR round and not just a few months out of the year - and local businesses could thrive as they wouldnt have to be seasonal businesses.

Oh, and to bring the Noles into this - this is precisely what they did with Doak Campbell. They gradually added to it as they kept winning and generating fan interest. And, by the way, the Hurricanes are going to lose....

i dont see how this has anything to do with the marlins coming up with their end of the deal.

the city could easily make stadium land available contingent upon the marlins coming up with their portion of the money by march, just as the county did with the $73 million.

the city isn't going to contribute ANYTHING if the marlins come up with their end of the bargain. by discussing whether or not the marlins can come up with their money, the politicians are attempting to change the subject and deflect blame from themselves.

I agree. The Marlins have shown their commitment, and could come up with the money when the plan is actually put into effect by getting on board private investors. Hell, go to Don King and tell him no on the land, but make it public that we would love to have him on board as an investor/part owner. Then he would have to put his money where his big ol mouth is. It can be done, but with the city of Miami pulling its land deal, it aint going to happen. The reason? Too much money involved...

An Orange Ball reconfiguration project isn't "cheap" why don't you look up how much it is costing the County and UM for the seat and luxary boxes addition...

And I don't know about adding a retractable roof unless the Marlins are going there for a long time since the Orange bowl would lose some of its mystique with it...

Its great in the rain at the OB...

Oh yeah, the Canes will not lose to the Noles...

The OB could be an interesting venture. I think it would cost very little to reconfigure it towards being a baseball stadium with football capacity. I believe that Pac Bell also hosts college bowl games. If I am correct, there is no reason why the OB could be reconfigured to house extra seating that rolls out during football season. The Hurricanes only have to host at most 6 games. Besides, you get the OB nice enough - it may be able to snatch the OB game back from JRS - which would hurt H-Bomb and bring more revenue to that venue.

Bad idea. The ob is hands down the best football stadium I have ever been in for strictly watching the game. "reconfiguring" it would change that completely. It would be a total joke trying to watch a major league game in that stadium. I'm not trying to rag on the ob, but it is the kind of stadium that can only support a college team because of tradition. I would never think of having the canes play somewhere else, but watching a baseball game there would be an overall bad experience. Look at all the new baseball parks going up all over the country. Think of what a joke it would be for us to play in an ancient place like the ob.

yeah, all 10,000 of you

10,000 regardless. The place is the Fenway Park of College Football. You see anyone rushing to mess with the place where Carlton Fisk hit the homer? Then why is anyone going to rush to mess with the place where Doug Flutie (unfortunately) threw up The Hail Mary of Hail Marys? Or the Call on 2 point conversion in the Orange Bowl of 1984? Or Wide Right II? Or Wide Right III (and the comeback that led to it)? Or Wide Left I? Or Joe Namath's Guarantee? Or all those Marino to the Marks connections? How about the site of the Perfect Season?

The OB cannot and Will not be touched. If we are going to leave what we have done in JRS, then let it be to our own stadium. The Ghosts of Cane past will not be pleased if their stadium is touched.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.