NBC6: Marlins in Ft. Laud. Stadium?

miami15

On the NBC6 news at 5:30, a proposal was made for the Marlins to play in the stadium that houses the Baltimore Orioles spring training.

They said that the stadium was near I-95, the Turnpike blah blah blah. Midway between PBC and Dade.

31 miles from Miami.

The man who proposed it said that the Marlins should give up on Miami, because we have already had the team for 10 years, blah blah bulls***.

PPS is closer to Broward than it is to Miami. And they have opposite rush hour traffic.

He also said that Miami fans could still come up.

That would take 90 minutes rush hour from Downtown.

They also said the OB was bad because it was in a "crime ridden neighborhood".

Crime ridden??? Uh....I drive up and down that street every Monday NIGHT on my way to youth group and back home. Crime is everywhere. Look at what happened to that jewelry store on Miracle Mile that got robbed and I remember, I think it was last year, that they killed a security guard at that shopping mall close to Gables. Gimme a break, man.

Here's the Herald's version of the story:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Candidate proposes Fort Lauderdale stadium home for Marlins

By MICAH B. RUBIN

For the Herald

The Florida Marlins will call Fort Lauderdale stadium home if House District 91 candidate Bruce McNeilage has his way.

Located on Northwest 12th Avenue, the 8,340 seat stadium is where the Baltimore Orioles hold Spring training.

''I see here an asset that could be better utilized,'' McNeilage said.

Converting the stadium into a 35,000 seat ballpark will require a $100 million investment, funded through a public-private partnership, he said.

He said he would not be seeking public dollars through a bond issue.

McNeilage said Pro Player Stadium, in Miami, where the Marlin currently play, is inconvenient for Ft. Lauderdale residents and a closer stadium will draw bigger crowds.

''I think the central location is more advantageous to the Marlins fan,'' McNeilage said.

Fort Lauderdale stadium is located near Interstate 95, the Cyprus Creek Tri-Rail station and the Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport.

McNeilage said he has contacted Ft. Lauderdale Mayor Jim Naugle, Mike Agganis, owner of the Akron Aeros, a AA baseball team and David Samson, president of the Florida Marlins to discuss his plans.

''This needs to be further explored until all possibilities are exhausted,'' he said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, the guy has to get elected. Then he has to convince Naugle, who's on the record as being against a stadium in Broward.

I can't see how PPS location is inconvenient to Ft. Laud residents, especially compared to much of Dade. And Ft Lauderdale Stadium is actually in Northern Broward, not exactly centrally located.

its already a mission for me 2 go 2 a game at PPS cause i live near cutler ridge.

Have you ever considered this:

You have the Metro Bus lanes next to US-1 down there so you can quickly beat traffic and take the bus to the Dadeland South Metro-Rail station. Then, take the Metro to the Coconut Grove station and get the Route 27 Bus from there which takes you directly to Pro Player.

Granted, travel time will be about an hour and a half, but at least you wouldn't be driving.

its already a mission for me 2 go 2 a game at PPS cause i live near cutler ridge.

You have the Metro Bus lanes next to US-1 down there so you can quickly beat traffic and take the bus to the Dadeland South Metro-Rail station. Then, take the Metro to the Coconut Grove station and get the Route 27 Bus from there which takes you directly to Pro Player.

Granted, travel time will be about an hour and a half, but at least you wouldn't be driving. that's the thing...i dont drive. i have 2 catch a ride if i wanna go. i wouldn't mind going on bus but its too much time.

Granted, travel time will be about an hour and a half, but at least you wouldn't be driving. Question:

Does the 27 bus from Coconut Grove also go to the MLK station which is also on 27th Ave?

Wouldn't that save a lot of time?

So is Coral Gables a crime ridden neighborhood?

I saw a small story in the Herald earlier this week about a drug bust a few blocks from the OB finding a lot of cocaine.

That's not what we're trying to say. Don't get the wrong idea here. The point is that crime is everywhere you turn nowadays, even where you wouldn't regularly expect it to be.

The offer is not totally unreasonable. I live near the OB myself and would obviously prefer it there, however if that does not fall through the Broward option is reasonable (unlike the Don King offer) The only thing that the article is totally wrong about is that Miami already lost their chance with the Marlins b/c of low attendance at PPS. That is utter stupidity because PPS is closer to Broward than it is to the more populated areas of Miami. So Miami residents can use the same argument and say that Broward lost its chance with the Marlins and thats why Dade deserves the stadium. However, all that aside all I want is for the team to stay in So. Fla and to get a stadium in an area that will bring fans. Whether it be Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.