Guys, look at this

CapeFish

OK first of all. Pac Bell Park is now SBC Park.

Now if you have seen the money meter, the Marlins and Dade County have already pledged $210 million to the new ballpark.

Well, SBC Park was built with private funds at a cost of $215 million.

Here is how they did it:

$100 million from naming rights

$145 million loan secured by the Giants

$10 million tax increment financing by the City's Redevelopment Agency

Source: http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/pacbel.htm

Why can't the Marlins build an open air ballpark in Dade County like SBC Park with what they have already? All they need is to call HOK, have them find land and form a financing plan.

This is starting to tell me that the County was bluffing and doesn't have the money. This could also tell me that the city is telling the press one thing and doing another.

Did anyone see Arriola's response to an email one of this board's members sent him?

The quicker the Marlins can cut out the city of Miami and either get another city to do the deal or get the city of Miami signed to a deal in paper the better.

Well, SBC Park was built with private funds at a cost of $215 million.

Why can't the Marlins build an open air ballpark in Dade County like SBC Park with what they have already? All they need is to call HOK, have them find land and form a financing plan.

SBC Park was $255 million, not $215 million. So the Marlins are still $45 million short and that's before the cost of acquiring land.

I checked two sources and they have it at $215 million, but the difference was the special seawalls and earthquake proofing that is needed in the China Basin, but not here in Florida.

Okay - sorry. But the source you provided the link to said $255 million as did your total math numbers.

They still need the land.

If they could build a stadium for $210 million, why don't they?

I meant the actual ballpark. the improvements due to code brought up the cost.

Okay, but what about your PNC Park comparison? We're way short there too.

Do you really believe you can build a stadium for $210 million in Dade County if you haven't yet acquired any land?

I hate to beat a dead horse here but the reason the Fish need a domed stadium, whether it be retractable or not, is not just the rain, but more importantly to ticket sales, the threat of rain.

We attended 52 games last season, and would attended perhaps another 15-20 were it not for the threat of rain, or the broiling sun, which creates it's own set of problems if you are bringing youngsters.

As long as fans, especially families, cannot be guaranteed an enjoyable experience it's foolhardy to believe season ticket sales will ever get above 15,000.

There are simply too many other ways to spend entertainment dollars besides the Marlins and not knowing whther a game will be played or whether your family will get soaked or burned to a crisp leaves the franchise at a competitive disadvantage.

Rainouts and make-up games have been part of baseball ever since the game was started. The real reason why so much focus has been on rain in South Florida is simply because northern cities aren't used to the tropical climate. So they mock the climate and the organization.

Guys, a decent ballpark can be built in S. Florida for $210 million. Look at the minor league facility in Jupiter. If they could study that structure and then figure out a way to add 20,000-23,000 seats to it then we have a ballpark. It doesn't have to be all benches, which I'm afraid might happen with a "cheap" design. :rolleyes:

Rainouts and make-up games have been part of baseball ever since the game was started. The real reason why so much focus has been on rain in South Florida is simply because northern cities aren't used to the tropical climate. So they mock the climate and the organization.

Guys, a decent ballpark can be built in S. Florida for $210 million. Look at the minor league facility in Jupiter. If they could study that structure and then figure out a way to add 20,000-23,000 seats to it then we have a ballpark. It doesn't have to be all benches, which I'm afraid might happen with a "cheap" design. :rolleyes:

Exactly!

Rainouts and make-up games have been part of baseball ever since the game was started.? ? The real reason why so much focus has been on rain in South Florida is simply because northern cities aren't used to the tropical climate.? ? So they mock the climate and the organization.

Guys, a decent ballpark can be built in S.? Florida for $210 million.? ? Look at the minor league facility in Jupiter.? ? If they could study that structure and then figure out a way to add 20,000-23,000 seats to it then we have a ballpark.? ? It doesn't have to be all benches, which I'm afraid might happen with a "cheap" design.? :rolleyes:

Exactly!

To each his or her own I guess. I remember those late summer Philly games that we (Marlins fans) have been ridiculed for not attending. We (my family) didn't attend and it was purely the foreboding black skies and rain over PPS every afternoon.

Perhaps when more of you have kids and you are deicding whether to drop a C note or two on a night at the ballpark you'll be more understanding of why weather is a major factor. Four terrace box seats for a season are $3600 a year plus parking plus concessions plus "stuff" or at minimum $6,500 a season. And in exchange for that kind of investment people demand comfort.

The Marlins business model is to build a small(ish) stadium they can fill every night. In order to do that they have to build a large season ticket base and to do that you need climate control. This is the Marlins thinking not mine.

The alternative would be to build a much larger stadium, say 50,000, and hope that larger "event game" crowds would offset the lower season ticket base. The problem is the cost of constructing, maintaining and staffing a larger venue which is part of the problem with PPS.

lets be honest......

we played 81 games at home this year......

the rain only affected about 7-8 games...... with one being postponed and one ended in the 5th inning a game agasnt the rays i went to.....

we dont

You just don't get it. People don't get scared of 5 or 6 delays or cancellations. If it is raining, there is a threat of a cancellation or a game in the rain. People will stay home even if it doesn't get delayed just because the chance.

I would have to agree, there have been numerous times that I have stayed home because I made the assumption that it was going to rain.

There have also been days that I go to the ballpark with no thought of rain, and, it rains.

Having the dome is just for mental comfort purposes for those fans that would otherwise stay home and watch the game.

Now Im not saying that WE MUST GET A DOME, but if it is possible it would be a great way to get both: more season ticket buyers, and more impulse game visitors and fans.

All I want in the end is a stadium that says MARLINS all over it, for God's sake we've won 2 World Series already! How about some respect from all these brown nosing politicians!

lets be honest......

we played 81 games at home this year......

the rain only affected about 7-8 games...... with one being postponed and one ended in the 5th inning a game agasnt the rays i went to.....

we dont

You just don't get it. People don't get scared of 5 or 6 delays or cancellations. If it is raining, there is a threat of a cancellation or a game in the rain. People will stay home even if it doesn't get delayed just because the chance. i totally agree - it's not a rainout every time there's rain. most games are still played, but if there's rain at all, the damage is done - people aren't coming out to sit in the rain.

It is very necessary that we get a retractable roof/dome. I think it can be done too, but a new stadium will have to be built in phases. First, build a stadium that can hold 30,000-40,000 with a structure that can support a dome/retr. roof. After several years and generating some more revenue, add it on.

One thing I think is important is that the facility be used for more than just baseball. I would like to see it host football games, but more importantly be located in an area that it could have a solid economic base. I like the OB because UM could pitch in with the new building, and could use it the other half of the year, keeping operating costs down.