Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cardinals @ Marlins 8/19 [& 8/20 I guess - Michael]

Featured Replies

Cardinal Devil Magic at play this week.

But also we absolutely have to move Agustin from behind the plate. Cannot continue to kill his confidence like this. I'm sure he's taking these failures with him to bat, too.

26 minutes ago, Michael said:

Cardinal Devil Magic at play this week.

But also we absolutely have to move Agustin from behind the plate. Cannot continue to kill his confidence like this. I'm sure he's taking these failures with him to bat, too.

Indeed Eddy truly unlucky tonight.

Gus is one of the worst defensive Cs I’ve ever seen. But he is far more valuable as a C than a DH so they might as well keep him at C and see if he gets better since winning isn’t important. Bat seems be fine still though.

1 minute ago, pollythewog said:

Indeed Eddy truly unlucky tonight.

Gus is one of the worst defensive Cs I’ve ever seen. But he is far more valuable as a C than a DH so they might as well keep him at C and see if he gets better since winning isn’t important. Bat seems be fine still though.

I didn’t realize this was his third day in a row at C which is pretty crazy really

3 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Indeed Eddy truly unlucky tonight.

Gus is one of the worst defensive Cs I’ve ever seen. But he is far more valuable as a C than a DH so they might as well keep him at C and see if he gets better since winning isn’t important. Bat seems be fine still though.

If he's a far net negative with the glove, then is he truly more valuable as a catcher? Just cause his offensive numbers get shinier in the WAR calculation?

Just now, Michael said:

If he's a far net negative with the glove, then is he truly more valuable as a catcher? Just cause his offensive numbers get shinier in the WAR calculation?

I think the hope is keep putting him out to see if he vastly improves and their calculation is that it’s worth it to have him be terrible and cost this games now even if it’s a small chance he could be an average defensive C which makes him far more valuable.

As bad as Gus is catching, Hicks isn't a whole lot better. Confident this will be addressed this offseason. Mack is far superior defensively and even though it will take a couple of seasons for his bat to catch up he should be the number one catcher next year. Would like to see Navaretto called up in September and work with these two young guys.

Right now with little at stake they are tending to overkill the tryouts (see Simpson) just to make sure there is nothing they can fix or salvage.

Agustin should be a 1B/DH in the mold of Pujols and if we can get even half of that productivity for his career that will be a resounding success. Considering there is a gaping hole at first anyway this is the only logical conclusion.

As bad as our hitting was with Stallings/Bethancourt/Astudillo our defense is just as bad if not worse currently. Casuals tend to overrate the hitting aspect but the defense is what wins (and loses, cough Yankees) championships.

11 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

I think the hope is keep putting him out to see if he vastly improves and their calculation is that it’s worth it to have him be terrible and cost this games now even if it’s a small chance he could be an average defensive C which makes him far more valuable.

I figure as much too, but at what point is it too much and going to ruin his confidence?

Then, does he end up focusing too much on the defense in the offseason just to get to be average at best while his bat regresses?

9 minutes ago, TheMarlinsProject said:

Agustin should be a 1B/DH

Just might have to go this route.

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

I figure as much too, but at what point is it too much and going to ruin his confidence?

Then, does he end up focusing too much on the defense in the offseason just to get to be average at best while his bat regresses?

Just might have to go this route.

I agree but as you would say, trust the dix!

12 hours ago, Michael said:

I figure as much too, but at what point is it too much and going to ruin his confidence?

Then, does he end up focusing too much on the defense in the offseason just to get to be average at best while his bat regresses?

Just might have to go this route.

To your point, his WRC+ as a catcher is 50 points lower than when he’s DH, so you may be on to something

19 hours ago, pollythewog said:

I agree but as you would say, trust the dix!

Why can't they DH him vast majority of the time while working out the catching issues on the side, where it won't cost outs and runs?

19 minutes ago, Michael said:

Why can't they DH him vast majority of the time while working out the catching issues on the side, where it won't cost outs and runs?

Probably the same reason why they put Josh Simpson in a tie game in the bottom of the 9th I guess.

  • The title was changed to Cardinals @ Marlins 8/19 [& 8/20 I guess - Michael]

I continue to believe that Sandy is gonna be really good next year. He just has not been able to get into an extended rythm this year. I do think he will get things worked out for next season.

5 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Which terrible RP will get high leverage reps tonight?

They are all terrible at this point. Ronny and maybe Bachar are the exceptions. Bender is out for the year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.