Update of Ex-Marlins

geemoney

I've scoured this week's Sports Weekly, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to update everyone on where all the ex-Marlins are heading into Spring Training 2004

(ML means they were only in the Florida's minor league system, and didn't make it to the big leagues while a part of the Marlins)

(I means they were in the Marlins org., but were never active for any game):

Atlanta Braves (5): RHP Antonio Alfonseca, RHP Will Cunnane (ML), LHP Armando Almanza, LHP Mike Hampton (I), RHP Chuck Smith

New York Mets (6): C Mike Piazza, IF Todd Zeile, OF Cliff Floyd, RHP Braden Looper, RHP David Weathers, LHP Al Leiter

Philadelphia Phillies (1): OF Mark Smith

Montreal Expos (8): IF Andy Fox, OF Carl Everett, RHP Livan Hernandez, RHP Claudio Vargas (ML), RHP Mike Judd (ML), C Paul Hoover (ML), C Randy Knorr, C Gregg Zaun

Chicago Cubs (7): C Paul Bako, 1B Derrek Lee, OF Moises Alou, OF Todd Hollandsworth, RHP Matt Clement, RHP Ryan Dempster, RHP Hector Carasco (I)

Cincinnati Reds (1): LHP Jesus Sanchez

Houston Astros (2): RHP Dan Miceli, C Chris Tremie (I)

Milwaukee Brewers (3): IF Craig Counsell, OF Scott Podsednik (ML), IF Matt Erickson (ML)

Pittsburgh Pirates (6): RHP Brian Meadows, RHP Juan Acevedo, RHP Hector Almonte, C Sandy Martinez, OF Andy Abad (ML), OF Henry Rodriguez

St. Louis Cardinals (4): SS Edgar Renteria, RHP Julian Tavarez, RHP Allen Levrault, OF John Mabry

Arizona Diamondbacks (5): 1B Greg Colbrunn, OF Danny Bautista, RHP Matt Mantei, RHP Brandon Villafuerte (ML), OF Julio Ramirez

Colorado Rockies (4): C Charles Johnson, OF Preston Wilson, RHP Vladimir Nunez, IF Benji Gil (ML)

Los Angeles Dodgers (1): OF Juan Encarnacion

San Diego Padres (1): RHP Trevor Hoffman

San Francisco Giants (3): RHP Dustin Hermanson (I), RHP Robb Nen, OF Rob Stratton (ML)

Baltimore Orioles (3): LHP Buddy Groom, OF Chad Mottola, RHP Denny Bautista

Boston Red Sox (5): 1B Kevin Millar, LHP Ed Yarnall (ML), IF Brian Daubach, IF Jesus Medrano (ML), C Jeff Bailey (ML)

New York Yankees (4): OF Gary Sheffield, RHP Kevin Brown, LHP Felix Heredia, IF Homer Bush

Toronto Blue Jays (3): IF Dave Berg, RHP Miguel Batista, RHP Justin Speier

Chicago White Sox (3)[/b}: IF Ross Gload, RHP Jason Grilli, LHP Vic Darensbourg

Cleveland Indians (3): IF Chris Clapinski, IF Kevin Orie, C Dusty Wathan (ML)

Detroit Tigers (4): C Ivan Rodriguez, RHP Gary Knotts, LHP Rob Henkel (ML), LHP Nate Robertson

Kansas City Royals (5): C Benito Santiago, P Donnie Bridges (ML), LHP Mike Venafro (ML), IF Wilton Guerrero (I), IF Mendy Lopez

Minnesota Twins (2): RHP Rick Helling, LHP Johan Santana

Anaheim Angels (1): IF Shane Halter (ML)

Oakland A's (4): OF Mark Kotsay, OF Billy McMillon, LHP Chris Hammond, LHP Mark Redman

Seattle Mariners (4): IF Luis Ugueto (ML), OF Randy Winn (ML), LHP Mike Myers, OF Eric Owens

Texas Rangers (5): 1B Adrian Gonzalez (ML), RHP Jay Powell, LHP Ron Mahay, LHP Ryan Snare, OF Chad Allen

I hope I didn't miss any, but if I did, feel free to correct me, and I'll edit the list for posterity.

I did the same thing you did, but on the MLB web site and found only a few you missed. In Baltimore there is Denny Bautista-ML, Boston-Jeff Bailey-ML, CLE-Dusty Wathan-ML, Det-Pablo Ozuna, Greg Norton-ML. You did a great job.

Wow, how did I miss Bautista?....I believe we had DEREK Wathan, not Dusty, or did we have both?....Ozuna isn't listed as on the 40-man roster, or as a non-roster invitee for Detroit, and Norton actually didn't play in the organization according to baseball-reference.com; I think there was someone with a similar name in the org. though.

I had Norton listed in 1999 Media guide and team yearbook. Dusty Wathan played at Portland in 2001. Also when did Shane Halter play in the Marlins system?

According to his stats, Norton played a FULL year with the White Sox in '99. I'll have to do more investigating on that....

You're right....Wathan was with the Marlins.

I could've sworn Halter played in AAA years back.....

The Tigers formally opened spring training by losing C Ivan Rodriguez's luggage ... In addition to signing Rodriguez, owner Mike Ilitch said the Tigers will further re-establish their identity and boost their self-esteem by replacing their bullpen carts with fully-loaded Cadillac Escalades that will need to be refueled after every pitching change

:lol