March 4, 200422 yr While I was at the game today, I was in the front row of the first baseline (my sister is a UM batgirl). I kept asking Perry Hill to talk to me, and shook me off for a few innings. I was persistant, and by the 7th he came over briefly and spoke to me. When I asked him if he would be McKeon's succesor, he said, "No way. I'm staying right here (at first base)." When I asked him if he was offered the job in May, he basically said, "I told you I want to stay at first (wink)," but not in so many words. So, it seems as if he was probably offered the job and rejected it. I guess he likes the simple baseball life. When I asked who he thought it would go to, he said, "I don't know, really, not up to me. But if it's within the organization, probably Dougy, Bill, or Treanor."
March 4, 200422 yr first of all did you say Treanor?.... as in Matt Treanor? and Perry Hill wasnt offered the job.... Doug will be the next Marlins Manager
March 4, 200422 yr Author first of all did you say Treanor?.... as in Matt Treanor? and Perry Hill wasnt offered the job.... Doug will be the next Marlins Manager I think Treanor the triple-A coach. And today I found out the Matt Treanor is pretty chubby. And Abe Nunez has to be up to 220-230. He looked as big as Choi today.
March 4, 200422 yr Doug Davis will get it. I like the look of him too. Abe looked up to 220/230, huh? Interesting...hope that translates into him making the team. I think this guy has a lot of potential - if we can just tap it...
March 4, 200422 yr what about rosenthal are pitching coach. Or Doug Davis our assisstint ( spelling ) manager.
March 4, 200422 yr first of all did you say Treanor?.... as in Matt Treanor? and Perry Hill wasnt offered the job.... Doug will be the next Marlins Manager I think Treanor the triple-A coach. And today I found out the Matt Treanor is pretty chubby. And Abe Nunez has to be up to 220-230. He looked as big as Choi today. Yes, the former AAA manager was Dean Treanor, who I believe is now on the big-league staff (Woodson is the AAA manager this year).
March 4, 200422 yr This should be Abraham Nunez's final chance to make the team, they'll probably waive him if he bombs.
March 4, 200422 yr You guys are gonna laugh, but I think Conine might consider being manager somehow in the future.
March 4, 200422 yr You guys are gonna laugh, but I think Conine might consider being manager somehow in the future. he might consider it, but hell probably need to work 1st or 3B for a few years first
March 4, 200422 yr You guys are gonna laugh, but I think Conine might consider being manager somehow in the future. That would kick ass.
March 4, 200422 yr Conine would make a terrific manager. Mordecai is another guy who could someday fit that role. I wonder if Juan Pierre would give it a go when he is finished...
March 4, 200422 yr You guys are gonna laugh, but I think Conine might consider being manager somehow in the future. HAHAHA j/k
March 4, 200422 yr Conine would make a terrific manager. Mordecai is another guy who could someday fit that role. I wonder if Juan Pierre would give it a go when he is finished... Mordi is a coach in the making, you can just tell hes really interested in being a coach somewhere down the road. Hes always right beside our manager (torborg, McKeon) and the dude has been around long enough. Dont be surpriced if hes our 3rd base coach by 2006
March 4, 200422 yr Author Not just Modri and Niner, but don't forget about Red, either. He'll definately enter managing.
March 4, 200422 yr Author Abe looked up to 220/230, huh? Interesting...hope that translates into him making the team. I think this guy has a lot of potential - if we can just tap it... Yea, Abe looked every single bit as big as Choi, which came out of nowhere. He got BIG (not fat, don't get it mixed up), and it doesn't look like he lost much speed if any at all.
March 4, 200422 yr I was amazed at how big he's gotten, and as Wild points out, in a good way. He looks like a man now, last time saw him (Sept 2002) he was this scrawny kid who looked out of place in MLB.
March 4, 200422 yr Author last time saw him (Sept 2002) he was this scrawny kid who looked out of place in MLB. That's how I had remembered him. Then I saw him yesterday and just thought, "Man, that's where all that power suddenly came from." I don't think we're going to let him leave the organization. He'll be on the opening day roster.
March 4, 200422 yr I'd hate to see Nunez regress by spending a season on the bench. My guess is (unfortuntely) he gets traded before the end of spring training or if he makes the roster, in July. What are you going to do, trade Juan Pierre? Sit Conine down? Trade Lowell or Agon? Abandon Big Choi and move Cabs one more time? In order to make room for him as an everyday player someone has to sit or be traded. You already have a bonafide MLer in Cordero who is going to be the first guy off the bench in most situations involving an OFer. I'm not anti-Nunez in any way. I just don't see where he fits in.
March 4, 200422 yr Author His triple-A numbers were impressive. So were his winter league stats. It seems to me like he's come into his own (finally), and if he doesn't make it onto the ML roster, he's out of options and someone will probably take him off waivers. I'm sorry, but if there isn't a spot for him, they need to FIND one.
March 4, 200422 yr His triple-A numbers were impressive. So were his winter league stats. It seems to me like he's come into his own (finally), and if he doesn't make it onto the ML roster, he's out of options and someone will probably take him off waivers. I'm sorry, but if there isn't a spot for him, they need to FIND one. Aren't you getting ahead of yourself? He hasn't seen major league pitching in two years. Let's see how he does in ST before we push someone else to the sidelines. I hope the Marlins are in the enviable position of being forced to make room for him but we have a month to find out what he's capable of.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.