Everything posted by bobbob1313
-
Knocked Up
I refuse to use that site plus I'd rather enjoy it on TV I can't watch much anything on the computer for long periods if I can have a choice. I could possibly pick it up this weekend, I've got all that FYE credit that I 'need' to use. That said, I don't know when I'll get to watch it. I really can't reccomend it enough. It's one of my top 5 tv shows of all time (up there with Scrubs and Seinfeld and the like). What I did was borrowed the DVD's from a friend and we just watched them like 4 at a time for a few nights in a row when we were in the dorms.
-
Knocked Up
But those guys were just like the 40 year old virgin guys, and that movie was just as realistic and believable, in terms of how the characters worked and interacted. Fox: http://tv-links.co.uk/show.do/1/3001 Watch these episodes at least. It sucks that the final 8 aren't on there, as I'd say the 2nd half of the season is way stronger than the first. The last 3 episodes of F&G are as good as any episodes of any show ever. I'm so sad that it ended after one season. Mabdul, when I get back to living at FIU I'll be closer to you and I can let you borrow it sometime if you want.
-
Knocked Up
That guy from 'How I Met Your Mother' was amazing but didn't get near the screen time he needed. When they finally brought him back in the hospital he had me dying with his continuous flirtation of Heigl's friend (as you can tell I don't remember a single character's name from this movie) and being the 'brains' of that group. Such a good character. Fox, have you ever watched Freaks And Geeks? You need to watch that show, you'll love it. It's got more of Apatow's quick fire dialogue, but with some of the most hysterically awkward scenes and characters ever. It's not as laugh out loud funny as his movies, but it's probably some of the most accurate portrayals of teenage awkwardness ever. Can't reccomend that show enough (Plus the soundtrack kicks f***ing ass).
-
I'm on such an 80's kick right now
Best songs from the 80's... Discuss "Paradise City". That song is the perfect glam metal song. Basically, anything from Appetite for Destruction rocks. That album was solid gold. :thumbup Easily the best metal album of the 80's, and arguably one of the top 10 albums of the 80's. Hell, that's the best metal album ever. Does ACDC cut it as metal? If so Back in Black is up there. Its the 2nd best selling album of all time. The master of puppets album is there as well. ACDC isn't really metal, per se, but Back In Black did like invent the guitar tone that nearly every 80's heavy metal band tried to copy. Listen to "Shook Me All Night Long" and then listen to like every glam metal song in the 80's and they all seem to be striving for that sound. I'm not a huge Metallica fan, though I will say that Kirk Hammet is one of the most underappreciated guitarists of our era, even if he's boring as hell 75% of the time. When he's good, he's amazing and does stuff that other people would never think of (in terms of riffs), but other wise it's kind of standard heavy metal guitar playing. And I'd say Ride The Lightning is better than Master. Master's 2nd half is too inconsistent.
-
Anyone wanna buy an English soccer team?
70,000 bucks a member (assuming he sells the team for $300 Million, which would probably be about right). I don't have that kind of dough.
-
Knocked Up
Hate's a strong word and I didn't hate the Vegas scene but I did hate that bouncer scene. Was Apatow trying to make some big stirring social statement or something with that scene? I don't know why the bouncer scene was there, but I thought it was pretty funny. Not necessary, but funny. I think he's at his best when dealing with small issues (Why people are gay, why Asia is gay, why chairs don't even make sense unless you are sitting in them) than big issues (Why black people aren't allowed into clubs, or something).
-
Miguel Cabrera- our future first baseman?
He was actually a pretty good 3B and he's developed into a pretty good 1B. I could see Miguel become a really good 1B, as he covers much more ground to his right side than his left side, so he could play close to the bag and still have solid range to his right. I think it's a move that happens eventually, and I think if we have a good third baseman come through, it's a move that improves our team.
-
Paris Hilton out of jail.
I hate to say this, but I'm just waiting for that unfortunate day when Paris Hilton runs over a six-year-old. If that kid happens to be black, you'll see a ginormous riot that'll completely dwarf Crown Heights, Watts, and South Central combined. BTW, I don't think this even needs to be doubted now: Paris Hilton is the face of the Republican Party in the minds of Democrats -- stupid, spoiled, trust-fund baby, elitist, famous for doing nothing, queen of sloth, probably hypocritical (guesses on how many abortions she's probably had?). I can't tell if this is serious or not, but if it is, then this is definitely a candidate for "Dumbest Post Ever"! Sounds like you received your bl*wjob already. So it is serious? I don't get it. I've never recieved a blowjob from Paris Hilton.
-
Knocked Up
I thought the Vegas part was the best part of the movie. I also like Ryan Seacrest a lot more after seeing this. I watched an American Idol clip where him and Randy were going after each other and it made me think of this movie, and I just laughed my ass off. I really don't think he's as much of a nice guy as he has to pretend he is.
-
Miguel Cabrera- our future first baseman?
Didn't he severely injure his throwing shoulder/arm? He injured his elbow in 2003 but managed to play through it, though I think he did switch to first after the injury. But I think his arm is fine, they just wanted to protect him, and 1st is the easiest position to not injure yourself, I would say. I would think 1st base is more dangerous than other spots How so? You aren't using your throwing arm as much, you don't have to move as much. The only real injury risk aside from like freak injuries are rolling your ankle on the bag while trying to beat a runner there or hurting yourself on a dive, which really doesn't happen as much for 1B as 3B.
-
Miguel Cabrera- our future first baseman?
Didn't he severely injure his throwing shoulder/arm? He injured his elbow in 2003 but managed to play through it, though I think he did switch to first after the injury. But I think his arm is fine, they just wanted to protect him, and 1st is the easiest position to not injure yourself, I would say.
-
Happy Birthday to maybe the greatest album ever...
They're a little too ubiquitous for me to love, but they deserve all the props they get. Their catalogue is deeper, stronger, and possibly more varied than anyone else's. Oddly, I think I would have to throw Aerosmith and Madonna up there for strong and varied staying power. Obviously in the world of rock, there are the Beatles then there is everyone else. Aerosmith sold their souls to have staying power. I'm not dissing them for it, but if it weren't for that godawful Armageddon song, they would have slipped completely out of the public consciousness. Their mid 70's output was solid, but I'm not sure they deserve all of the accolades they get. They aren't in the upper teir with the Beatles, Who, Stones, or Zep, and tputting them in that 2nd teir is a stretch in my opinion. I mean, ever since the early 90's they've basically released cheesy ballad after cheesy ballad. They perfected the Hard rock ballad with "Dream On" and they've been slowing trying to ruin it ever since. (I still like them, but I think they are vastly overrated.) Mark Prindle says it best: "I know this may be difficult for you jaded youngsters to believe, but Aerosmith haven't always been one of the most repulsively banal pop ballad groups in existence. They used to be a loud, guitar-driven hard rock band - kinda like a cross between the Stones and Zeppelin, but distinctly American, somehow. Kinda funky, too. And I don't mean that in a 90's "smelly" way, although they have certainly been one of the smellier bands of our decade. They were never the most ambitious band, but, in their heyday, they spat up some of the catchiest grit rock stompers you'll ever condescend to lend an ear to. So give 'em a break. Like Black Sabbath, their first six albums were good - ALL of them. But then, due to drugs, egos, and whatnot, both of the guitarists quit, the singer replaced them, then the guitarists came back, eventually they all went through rehab, and now they're little more than popular purveyors of puerile pubescent pablum. And they blow. Interested? Well, walk this way!!! Oh, the wacky woolly wit!" As for Madonna, she's way too overtly aware of changing her image to really matter in the way the Beatles do. They never really consciously changed with the times, they kind of absorbed the world and spit it back out to us naturally. Still, her early stuff is some of the best pure pop music ever. Her and Michael Jackson released some of the best pop music ever from like 1980-1990. And then they've both kind of fallen off, but for different reasons.
-
I'm on such an 80's kick right now
Best songs from the 80's... Discuss "Paradise City". That song is the perfect glam metal song. Basically, anything from Appetite for Destruction rocks. That album was solid gold. :thumbup Easily the best metal album of the 80's, and arguably one of the top 10 albums of the 80's. Hell, that's the best metal album ever.
-
Miguel Cabrera- our future first baseman?
It makes sense that they would move him to protect his health. Pujols was recognized as a fairly good fielder at 3rd and in the outfield, but they moved him to first because it's easier to play and doesn't put as much strain on the body.
-
I'm on such an 80's kick right now
Best songs from the 80's... Discuss "Paradise City". That song is the perfect glam metal song.
-
Paris Hilton out of jail.
I hate to say this, but I'm just waiting for that unfortunate day when Paris Hilton runs over a six-year-old. If that kid happens to be black, you'll see a ginormous riot that'll completely dwarf Crown Heights, Watts, and South Central combined. BTW, I don't think this even needs to be doubted now: Paris Hilton is the face of the Republican Party in the minds of Democrats -- stupid, spoiled, trust-fund baby, elitist, famous for doing nothing, queen of sloth, probably hypocritical (guesses on how many abortions she's probably had?). I can't tell if this is serious or not, but if it is, then this is definitely a candidate for "Dumbest Post Ever"!
-
Happy Birthday to maybe the greatest album ever...
So my mom sends me a link to the American Idol people doing a Sgt Pepper's medley, and it made me realize just how good the album is, and how much cheesy rearrangements should never be done with it. The song writing may not be the best, but the arrangements on that album are absolutely perfect, no question. And those f***ers took out the 2nd verse of "She's Leaving Home" and just skipped to the third verse. What the hell, the song makes no sense if you do that. The 2nd verse is the emotional core of it. Otherwise the background "We gave her most of our lives, etc" part makes no sense. In short, not the best written album (many of the songs are sort of spare, and I think it's because John was less involved than on any other album, so they miss his half), but the arrangement and production is absolutely perfect.
-
Happy Morning, Fellows.
Got up at 8 in the am the past two days. It's a nice change from 3 in the pm. BLASPHEMY agreed its just not right :thumbdown It wouldn't be so bad if I had something to do during the day... But still, I feel better not waking up with the day mostly done..
-
Quit leaving Bronson Arroyo out for 120+ pitch count outings
I have had nothing to do with Bronson's being left out too long, and I don't like your insinuations to the contrary, sir.
-
Sheffield: Latin Players Easier To Control Than Blacks
I think what he was aiming to say is that people feel more comfortable with latin players initially because they have a harder time to talk back due to the language barrier and fear of being sent from America back to their homelands. Carlos Guillen supported this theory. Whether or not it's true, whether or not anyone here believes it is one thing. To me, that was the message he was attempting to send. I don't think he was trying to bash latin playerss, I don't think he was attempting to say blacks are superior. Maybe he used some "politically incorrect" methods, but I don't believe he was trying to be a racist. Shoot me. I mean, thats definetly racist, because you know he wouldn't say the same thing about whites. He's either trying to say hispanic players get preferential treatment over blacks, or that black players are better because they won't let them push them around. Either way, he's claiming the inferiority or superiority of one race over another.
-
Sheffield: Latin Players Easier To Control Than Blacks
Guillen's comments are definitely interesting. Although, I wonder how much he would be willing to talk if he wasn't Sheff's teammate. I personally think this whole situation is being blown wayyyy out of proportion by the media, as usual. To me, it's clear Sheffield wasn't trying to bash Latinos and definitely was not trying to be racist, either. Racism often isn't an active attitude. It lives in the passive acceptance of irrational stereotypes. Whether Sheffield intended to be racist or not, he certainly expressed a view of his own racial superiority. That is racism. I personally don't think Sheffield's point was an attempt to express a view of racial superiority. People can twist other's words to mean whatever they think, but I personally have a different view here than you on the meaning of what was said. Ok, what is your view on it? That he didn't say anything? He obviously said something racist. The only way you can think he didn't say something racist is if you think he didn't say anything at all. I'm not really offended by this, and I get what he was trying to say, but it's still clearly a racist statement.
-
Happy Morning, Fellows.
Got up at 8 in the am the past two days. It's a nice change from 3 in the pm.
-
The Migueless Lineup 6/6
No Cabrera = goodbye biggest line up threat. Guess Fredi is content to win just the two games. MIGUEL CABRERA IS INJURED!!!1111 Guess Fredi is content with not sabotaging the entire season by risking further injury to our best player and biggest line up threat and thereby possibly sacrificing one game. Fire him now. Actually it was kinda nice watching someone play 3B without letting the ball go past. That non play Monday night was typical Miggy. So was the bomb he hit to dead center to put the Marlins ahead last night. Yes it was. Never have questioned his bat. But I'm talking defense and the last I checked you don't hit when you are in the field. Best option IMO would be having him be the DH during interleague play. Keeps the good things and gets rid of the liability. Just gotta convince him it's his idea. He's not nearly as awful as you say he is, and defense isn't nearly as important as you are implying it is. If he was Alfredo Amezaga's bat with his (miguel's) glove, then it'd be a problem. As it is, his defense barely makes a dent in the overall scheme of things. I guess if you are just a stat watcher you can get away with saying that. Would love to see how many runs have been scored that were axtually his fault because he really try for a ball hit his way. Miggy's defensive scheme..."If you don't try for it you don't get an error." That play Monday night shows that precisely. That ball was his to make a play on. He could have bent over, scooped it up, and made a throw to 1B. Instead he let's it go by evidently thinking that Hanley was going to make a play. Yet he is blocking the view on the ball and it goes through for a hit. Happens all the time with him, no exaggerration. But at least it's not an error and makes his stats reflect his capabilities and/or desire. Don't kid yourself. Defense is important. He made an error in Pitt(?) which allowed 4 unearned runs to score in a 6-4 loss. We have pitchers that throw sinkers invoking grounders and you think the D dosen't matter to them? I say it all the time. I think Miggy could become one of the top 3 3basmen in the league if he put forth the effort on a regular basis. The home series vs Philly showed what he can do when the effort is there. But he just dosen't put forth the effort on anything even remotely resembling consistentcy. Yet he is a current MG. So to say anything negative about him makes one subject to a bashing. (Not that I think you were bashing me, just giving your opinion which is different to mine. No problem there.) Can't say anything bad about our current MGs or MGITs. Better to slam any other player for their negatives while ignoring the positives they bring to the game. However, until I see him improve I will continue to praise his bat and slam him for the non glove work he, and his most ardent fans, evidently thinks is good enough to carry him through. My point is that the home runs and the putting up ridiculous offensive numbers is much more "Typical Miguel" than the errors. The defense, over the course of a season, won't have nearly as much impact as the offense.
-
The Migueless Lineup 6/6
No Cabrera = goodbye biggest line up threat. Guess Fredi is content to win just the two games. MIGUEL CABRERA IS INJURED!!!1111 Guess Fredi is content with not sabotaging the entire season by risking further injury to our best player and biggest line up threat and thereby possibly sacrificing one game. Fire him now. Actually it was kinda nice watching someone play 3B without letting the ball go past. That non play Monday night was typical Miggy. So was the bomb he hit to dead center to put the Marlins ahead last night. Yes it was. Never have questioned his bat. But I'm talking defense and the last I checked you don't hit when you are in the field. Best option IMO would be having him be the DH during interleague play. Keeps the good things and gets rid of the liability. Just gotta convince him it's his idea. He's not nearly as awful as you say he is, and defense isn't nearly as important as you are implying it is. If he was Alfredo Amezaga's bat with his (miguel's) glove, then it'd be a problem. As it is, his defense barely makes a dent in the overall scheme of things.
-
The Migueless Lineup 6/6
No Cabrera = goodbye biggest line up threat. Guess Fredi is content to win just the two games. MIGUEL CABRERA IS INJURED!!!1111 Guess Fredi is content with not sabotaging the entire season by risking further injury to our best player and biggest line up threat and thereby possibly sacrificing one game. Fire him now. Actually it was kinda nice watching someone play 3B without letting the ball go past. That non play Monday night was typical Miggy. So was the bomb he hit to dead center to put the Marlins ahead last night.