Miguel Cabrera- our future first baseman?

Does anyone think Miggy might switch positions (to 1B) sometime in the near future? If you look all around the ML the "biggest" guys are almost always are at firstbase (Pujols, Fielder etc: ). It just seems more suitable for him.

WDYT? Do you see a change for Miggy (not another team ;) ).

If it were up to me right now Boone would be playing third base and Miguel would be playing first. Jacobs would be packing his bags to whichever team offered the best package or didn't Jacobs also play catcher at one point? Kind of too late to switch him back I guess.

Way too early.

To early for what?

To even consider the presence of Dominguez to mean Miggy's switching positions.

I think it goes far beyond that.

Miguel doesn't seem to want to get in shape and maintain it. He also doesn't have the range to play third, and as strong as his arm is he throws at a horrible arm slot.

Way too early.

To early for what?

This has nothing to do with him (Dominguez).

Well then no, I think this has absolutely no merit to be even considered.

Jacobs is our firstbaseman for the near future and nothing is going to change that. The FO likes him, as we've seen with Hanley being forced to hit 3rd, we like his bat in our lineup a lot, and the team does need lefthanded power from somewhere.

Way too early.

To early for what?

Miguel doesn't seem to want to get in shape and maintain it. He also doesn't have the range to play third, and as strong as his arm is he throws at a horrible arm slot.

Call Andy Fox, let him know.

Way too early.

To early for what?

This has nothing to do with him (Dominguez).

Well then no, I think this has absolutely no merit to be even considered.

Jacobs is our firstbaseman for the near future and nothing is going to change that. The FO likes him, as we've seen with Hanley being forced to hit 3rd, we like his bat in our lineup a lot, and the team does need lefthanded power from somewhere.

Way too early.

To early for what?

Call Andy Fox, let him know.

I think anyone who watches Miguel play third already knows.

I hate when I hear people in the organization say he is 'sensitive' about his weight. He needs to get in shape and commit to being a good third baseman or move.

Also if you listen to ten games on FSN you will hear the words 'Cabrera' and 'Arm Slot' at least once or twice it seems, even if he doesn't make an error.

If it were up to me right now Boone would be playing third base and Miguel would be playing first. Jacobs would be packing his bags to whichever team offered the best package or didn't Jacobs also play catcher at one point? Kind of too late to switch him back I guess.

Bingo, except the part where you talk about Jacobs and catching.

because Tommy Hutton is the be all end all of baseball thoughts

I forgot you are.

If you don't see the way he flings the ball sidearm up there half the time and the way it trails off I don't know what to say.

Didn't say I was

just that Hutton is an idiot

It makes sense that they would move him to protect his health. Pujols was recognized as a fairly good fielder at 3rd and in the outfield, but they moved him to first because it's easier to play and doesn't put as much strain on the body.

Didn't he severely injure his throwing shoulder/arm?

He injured his elbow in 2003 but managed to play through it, though I think he did switch to first after the injury. But I think his arm is fine, they just wanted to protect him, and 1st is the easiest position to not injure yourself, I would say.

He injured his elbow in 2003 but managed to play through it, though I think he did switch to first after the injury. But I think his arm is fine, they just wanted to protect him, and 1st is the easiest position to not injure yourself, I would say.

I would think 1st base is more dangerous than other spots

How so? You aren't using your throwing arm as much, you don't have to move as much. The only real injury risk aside from like freak injuries are rolling your ankle on the bag while trying to beat a runner there or hurting yourself on a dive, which really doesn't happen as much for 1B as 3B.

The fact that they acquired Rolen and Pujols no longer had the arm to play the position is why he was at 3rd. Id say his defensive skill set overall probably wasnt great over there in the first place(it took him a while to get acclimated to 1b afterall).

He was actually a pretty good 3B and he's developed into a pretty good 1B. I could see Miguel become a really good 1B, as he covers much more ground to his right side than his left side, so he could play close to the bag and still have solid range to his right. I think it's a move that happens eventually, and I think if we have a good third baseman come through, it's a move that improves our team.

How so? You aren't using your throwing arm as much, you don't have to move as much. The only real injury risk aside from like freak injuries are rolling your ankle on the bag while trying to beat a runner there or hurting yourself on a dive, which really doesn't happen as much for 1B as 3B.

Every single time they have to reach on a ball thrown towards home plate they are possibly putting their seasons/careers on the line.

Tommy Hutton is not an idiot.

Well I'm not going to argue with you on this peng, because it's an opinion but after talking to him countless times, I'm pretty sure he is a registered idiot

Ask Cliff Floyd how safe 1st base is.