Miguel Cabrera- our future first baseman?

Hollyberry

Does anyone think Miggy might switch positions (to 1B) sometime in the near future? If you look all around the ML the "biggest" guys are almost always are at firstbase (Pujols, Fielder etc: ). It just seems more suitable for him.

WDYT? Do you see a change for Miggy (not another team ;) ).

I've been saying this for a long time now, and not because of the weight issue. He just dosen't have the range or the work ethic for a great 3B defensively. I don't think 1B is "easier" or "safer" to play than any other position, just different. Boone has made the transition fairly well but he has had to work at it pretty hard. I'm not so sure Miggy would work at it as hard in order to become a viable 1B. Maybe if he could be convinced it was his idea for the move, but still not so sure.

Ok so we draft this kid and everyone is already projecting him to be our future 3B? High draft picks don't always turn into all star players, so lets give this kid a couple of years before we start thinking about moving Miggy to 1B. So lets not put the wagon ahead of the mules please.

It has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that Miguel is getting fat enough to be the butt of national columnists jokes.

It's getting out of hand.

From Bill Simmons NBA finals preview:

Let's face it -- you have a better chance of seeing Billy Donovan's family vacationing at Epcot than Cleveland winning this series. You have a better chance of Michael Jordan or Admin David convincing you to get married without a prenup. You have a better chance of seeing Jeff Van Gundy tell the truth after an ugly divorce with an NBA franchise. You have a better chance of seeing Carlos Zambrano and Michael Barrett making out like Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

(Should I keep going? Yeah, screw it.)

You have a better chance of seeing Charles Barkley at a $10 blackjack table or Miguel Cabrera eating a salad. You have a better chance of seeing Sammy Sosa use his own pee for a urine test. You have a better chance of seeing a diehard Patriots fan give Bridget Moynihan a baby gift. You have a better chance of seeing Memphis interview Chris Wallace multiple times for its GM vacancy even though we're only four years removed from his trading for an alcoholic making max money.

The guy only has the highest readership of any writer on ESPN.com... no biggie.

The draft has little to do with Miguel in a proposed future move to 1b, its more like his 250+ lbs he's lugging around at 3b. He has a great arm and when he's able to move he'll get to a lot of balls others maybe couldn't. Right now and if his conditioning habits continue he'll be a firstbaseman or eventually a DH in the AL.

Didn't he severely injure his throwing shoulder/arm?

He injured his elbow in 2003 but managed to play through it, though I think he did switch to first after the injury. But I think his arm is fine, they just wanted to protect him, and 1st is the easiest position to not injure yourself, I would say.

I would think 1st base is more dangerous than other spots

How so? You aren't using your throwing arm as much, you don't have to move as much. The only real injury risk aside from like freak injuries are rolling your ankle on the bag while trying to beat a runner there or hurting yourself on a dive, which really doesn't happen as much for 1B as 3B.

Ask Cliff Floyd how safe 1st base is.

Word

I've never spoken to Hutton, so I'll have to take your word for it. However, if he were that idiotic surely some of those comments would be reaching the airwaves...

I've pretty much heard all of the TV color guys in the nation through MLB Extra Innings and he is certainly among the most intelligent sounding.

I don't know about that. Where Hutton stands out is as the biggest homer there is.

No way. He is one of the first people to criticize a boneheaded move or play. Rich Waltz and Tommy Hutton are without a doubt among the best commentators in MLB.

I'll agree there. This is my first year getting MLB TV, and I would take Rich and Tommy over anyone else I've heard thus far. I especially like Hutton.

No way. He is one of the first people to criticize a boneheaded move or play. Rich Waltz and Tommy Hutton are without a doubt among the best commentators in MLB.

Homerism doesn't mean you can't be critical.

Waltz has grown on me as a PBP guy, and Hutton's color is fine it were a video game, but the Marlins audience is so limited, and hardcore, you'd rather hear more info of consequence rather than "it's AMAZING what happens when you throw strikes."

That, and it's tough to watch him criticize players, yet never management. For example, with Julio, he never once questioned why the hell he was out there to give up a walkoff grandslam or stuff like that.

Hutton's decent for his actual contributions, yet pretty comfortable on the mic, and that's what sets him apart on TV. As for what he actually contributes, I wouldn't say it's anything all that earth shattering.

I enjoy T Hutt for the most part. It could be because he's been the voice of the Marlins for so long now. I agree with Swift that he doesnt bring anything earth shattering in terms of analysis but who really does these days in baseball? Joe Morgan? I don't think so. Give me a good PBP guy with a good baseball voice and Im happy.

With that said, T Hutt is getting whinier and whinier as the years go by.

I was listening to the Cubs broadcast on XM radio and it was a stuttering, muttering fest and almost embarrassing to listen to.

Rich Waltz is average at best. He doesnt have a good voice for television and often sounds like an over excited child at his first baseball game.

A question for those who think Rich Waltz is a great PBP guy: If Waltz is great, then what is Vin Scully?

I enjoy hutt but he is nowhere close to the best in mlb.

There are many other guys out there that are a lot better then Hutt.

As for Miggy, I dont see him wanting to move to 1B right now. And the marlins arent going to Force him to move because that would just piss him off and create tension and you would end up seeing him gone. Could he do 1st base? Sure. Could he stay at 3B and fine? Sure.

I think things will average out. Last year he wasnt that bad for the second half at 3B, actually he was one of the better ones out there. He will never be a Rolen but his value at the hotcorner with his bat is far more then his defense lacking.

Even if I dont mind seeing Jacobs traded away for his lack of being able to be remotely healthy.

That, and it's tough to watch him criticize players, yet never management. For example, with Julio, he never once questioned why the hell he was out there to give up a walkoff grandslam or stuff like that.

I remember him saying a lot when Julio was in there, "if he can't get the job done, you've GOT to find someone else...you can't keep running him out there to lose leads, its demoralizing for the team" and things like that.

Also, this is all a matter of taste. I really wish some of you would be posting names (or teams) rather just saying "there are better guys out there." Obviously people look for different things in broadcast.

Assuming we are talking local TV (or national broadcasts like ESPN), I like:

Rockies

Mets

Dodgers

Padres

Dislike:

Giants

Reds

Phillies

Braves

Angels

I will admit that I am more familiar with NL announcers, but I certainly have heard all of AL teams at least once as well.

If there are 5 broadcast booths I could pick to have as my own, they'd be the Dodgers, White Sox, Rockies, Red Sox and Yankees.

From Bill Simmons NBA finals preview:

Let's face it -- you have a better chance of seeing Billy Donovan's family vacationing at Epcot than Cleveland winning this series. You have a better chance of Michael Jordan or Admin David convincing you to get married without a prenup. You have a better chance of seeing Jeff Van Gundy tell the truth after an ugly divorce with an NBA franchise. You have a better chance of seeing Carlos Zambrano and Michael Barrett making out like Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

(Should I keep going? Yeah, screw it.)

You have a better chance of seeing Charles Barkley at a $10 blackjack table or Miguel Cabrera eating a salad. You have a better chance of seeing Sammy Sosa use his own pee for a urine test. You have a better chance of seeing a diehard Patriots fan give Bridget Moynihan a baby gift. You have a better chance of seeing Memphis interview Chris Wallace multiple times for its GM vacancy even though we're only four years removed from his trading for an alcoholic making max money.

The guy only has the highest readership of any writer on ESPN.com... no biggie.

Bill Simmons is an idiot. His writing is downright atrocious, and he's basically famous for making as many ridiculous pop culture reference as he can in his sports columns. He's the dumb man's Chuck Klosterman.

I don't care for most national broadcasters (Morgan, Berman, Miller, Buck, McCarver). I'm a huge Bob Costas fan but he hasn't done baseball for awhile.

Wow, so one person says the White Sox are the worst, another among the best. :|

And I feel that the Mets may have one of the three worst announce crews along with the Nats and Phillies.

Unless, of course, you feel that "women don't belong in the dugout." ;)

That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.