Best classic book

g8trz2003

Shakespeare isn't really meant to be read (as in at all) and really the intellectuals have ruined any enjoyment anyone could get out Shakes...

Best play is Waiting for Left by Clifford Odets. Pretty powerful stuff about unions in the 30's (and many of the audience members are supposed to be made up of actors pretending to be at the meeting, booing etc.). Probably one of the best plays I've ever wanted to do and never got the chance...

Guest Juanky

Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

I absolutely hated that book. So Pointless IMO.

Throw up there the Art of War by Sun Tzu and the Illiad by Homer. I always like the Trojan War better then I liked his journey afterwards.

yah, I can definitely see where Importance of Being Earnest would be better in writing. I mean, it's just silly (yet clever) humor. Nothing too deep in it.

Anyone like Great Gatsby? I didn't enjoy it at all, but a lot of my friends absolutely love it. I also enjoyed Lord of the Flies.

I guess those are much too recent to be classics maybe? I don't know. If you throw Gatsby in there, one must also throw in To Kill A Mockingbird, which is one badass book.

I would say anything not written in the last ten years is a classic. It's hard for a book, with as many authors are there are out there, to have that kind of staying power. So, I'd say ten years is a good barometer of what defines a "classic."

Grantes there are modern day classics which capture the imagination of the contemoporary mind or audience that they can skip the whole ten year period. I would say Fight Club is the best one I can think of (due in part, no doubt to the popularity of the movie, but all those ideas were presented originally in the book).

you know a lot more about theatre than I do, but I enjoyed reading Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde.

Outstanding pic for a classic.....

Great thread overall, come to think of it.

A couple others on my all time:

The Great Gatsby

Grapes of Wrath

Dante's Inferno

Animal Farm

And, of course... Lord of the Flies.

Fire up for political commentary by novelists.

Ive actually never seen Anne Frank, although I've seen it at a playhouse. I have friends who've read it, and said that it was incredibly boring.

Speaking of boring classics, Mark Twain's "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" was quite possibly the worst book I've read....ever. I had to put it down about 200 pages through and say "screw it".