April 21, 200422 yr People from PBC and Broward should quit their complaining and write to their congressmen and selectmen to put something on the table resembling what Dade County and Miami have done if they want a stadium close by. No thanks. We know that publicly financing stadiums is a losing proposition when it comes to making money. You guys can jump on the grenade down there. So let's keep the Marlins at PPS where they can be bleed dry by Huizenga and your trip is shorter.
April 21, 200422 yr I guess you have 0 trust in Loria and the Marlins FO. They are not perfect, but I think they have demonstrated that they are competent. Don't you think they know what other options are available? If you or I don't know if something else has been proposed or pursued, doesn't it hasn't been considered and it is better than the OB proposal. I think they know exactly what they are doing. They targeted sites and financial subsidies that were unattainable so that public sentiment would grow for them as they repeadedly got shot down. Then they would count on the public being so exasperated at the lack of political support that they would accept a stadium just about anywhere as long as it got done. And here we are today, with you all throwing the baby out with the bathwater because you are so pleased at the very notion that there will be a new stadium, regardless of where it is. Yes, they know what they are doing. Or you think they have to play fair and square against the hordes of lying politicians? You have been very critical, I would like to know what are your suggestion for baseball to succed down here?
April 21, 200422 yr People from PBC and Broward should quit their complaining and write to their congressmen and selectmen to put something on the table resembling what Dade County and Miami have done if they want a stadium close by. No thanks. We know that publicly financing stadiums is a losing proposition when it comes to making money. You guys can jump on the grenade down there. So let's keep the Marlins at PPS where they can be bleed dry by Huizenga and your trip is shorter. I don't have a problem with that. It's not like MLB/Henry/Loria didn't know the financial situation when they purchased the team. They bought the team on the if-come they could get a stadium. Just b/c they own the team does not mean the community is indebted to spend money on them, especially when it comes to new stadiums, which are never, ever, ever a winning proposition for hte communities that invest in them.
April 21, 200422 yr People from PBC and Broward should quit their complaining and write to their congressmen and selectmen to put something on the table resembling what Dade County and Miami have done if they want a stadium close by. No thanks. We know that publicly financing stadiums is a losing proposition when it comes to making money. You guys can jump on the grenade down there. So let's keep the Marlins at PPS where they can be bleed dry by Huizenga and your trip is shorter. I don't have a problem with that. It's not like MLB/Henry/Loria didn't know the financial situation when they purchased the team. They bought the team on the if-come they could get a stadium. Just b/c they own the team does not mean the community is indebted to spend money on them, especially when it comes to new stadiums, which are never, ever, ever a winning proposition for hte communities that invest in them. OK, so you have changed your argument from OB being an horrible site to the social responsibility of using tax dollars to build a stadium. hmm, I'm confused
April 21, 200422 yr They are trying to secure the attendance of people who will and do use traffic, parking, crime etc... as reasons not to go with their families. Fish - I've been here long enough to know that South Florida is the undisputed world champion of making excuses. For example, I can see a day when we roll out a beautiful 400MM, 40,000 seat retractable roof stadium, and people will definitely say that they can't go because it looks like rain and they might get wet walking from their car to the stadium. That said, Samson is taking the only viable option, and counting on MDC fanbase to expand and more than displace non-migratory Broward & PBers.
April 21, 200422 yr Yeehaw! Lets go watch the fish! Wait a second, I'm stuck on Dolphin Exwy... maybe by the 9th inning I'll be there...
April 21, 200422 yr Yeehaw! Lets go watch the fish! Wait a second, I'm stuck on Dolphin Exwy... maybe by the 9th inning I'll be there... lolololol :thumbup
April 21, 200422 yr I guess you have 0 trust in Loria and the Marlins FO. They are not perfect, but I think they have demonstrated that they are competent. Don't you think they know what other options are available? If you or I don't know if something else has been proposed or pursued, doesn't it hasn't been considered and it is better than the OB proposal. I think they know exactly what they are doing. They targeted sites and financial subsidies that were unattainable so that public sentiment would grow for them as they repeadedly got shot down. Then they would count on the public being so exasperated at the lack of political support that they would accept a stadium just about anywhere as long as it got done. And here we are today, with you all throwing the baby out with the bathwater because you are so pleased at the very notion that there will be a new stadium, regardless of where it is. Fillet, I think you've summed this up better than anyone else. Good job :thumbup A month ago everyone was calling the OB horrible, but now it's a gift from God.... :thumbdown
April 21, 200422 yr TY.... I also remember when we were all arguing about particular plots of land on the bay..... Looks like those days are, as Ernie Harwell says..... Looonnnnggggg gone! But, like Ernie said, the public just sat there like a house by the side of the road and watched this one go by.
April 21, 200422 yr How about parking? OB has little to no parking... Yeehaw! I'm gonna park on someone's driveway! Woohoo!
April 21, 200422 yr How about parking? OB has little to no parking... Yeehaw! I'm gonna park on someone's driveway! Woohoo! First you have to get there, remember?
April 21, 200422 yr How about parking? OB has little to no parking... Yeehaw! I'm gonna park on someone's driveway! Woohoo! In the long run you'll save money by parking there b/c the car will be stolen long before your return, which lets you get rid of those pesky car payments and insurance premiums! !
April 21, 200422 yr How about parking? OB has little to no parking... Yeehaw! I'm gonna park on someone's driveway! Woohoo! First you have to get there, remember? I'm currently stuck on the off-ramp... so I'm getting near!
April 21, 200422 yr How about parking? OB has little to no parking... Yeehaw! I'm gonna park on someone's driveway! Woohoo! What else is there? If there was a viable replacement then I would be all for it, but there is no other place right now. They said it was 'near' the Orange bowl which doesnt necessarily say its right there. Still leaves traffic problem though. The question is do you take what u can get or lose another 20 million dollars for another year.
April 21, 200422 yr OB has it's positives! :thumbup Good for the environment, cuts down on FFuel emissions and economically enpowers locals citizens by freeing up more discretionary income!!! Let's do it!!!
April 21, 200422 yr I don't approve of the Marlins taking this option. Here's why: -They're settling for a cookie-cutter plan quickly drawn up by the City of Miami and proposed to the team back in March. -The city has no idea about how they're going to handle the parking situation. They're going to have to build parking garages, or expand the lots somewhere. Perhaps they can move the parking farther away, and have a shuttle take people to the ballpark, or something. -From what I've seen of the Marlins stadium idea, the ballpark doesn't exactly look ideal, and I don't believe it includes the roof that the Marlins want either. -Once we take this plan, we're stuck with it for a generation. -IMO, Loria should just swallow another year of losses and open the park in 2008, if he's truely devoted to this team as much as I've seen so far.
April 21, 200422 yr How about parking? OB has little to no parking... Yeehaw! I'm gonna park on someone's driveway! Woohoo! What else is there? If there was a viable replacement then I would be all for it, but there is no other place right now. They said it was 'near' the Orange bowl which doesnt necessarily say its right there. Still leaves traffic problem though. The question is do you take what u can get or lose another 20 million dollars for another year. I'd prefer to take another year of losses and do things right... Similar with Miami's road woes... they attempt to hurry things up and end up making a bigger mess...
April 21, 200422 yr I'd prefer to take another year of losses and do things right... Easier said than done when is not your own money.
April 21, 200422 yr 20 million in losses? Someone better hurry up and lock this thread. Seems like after every other post that number goes up a few million. By tonight the Fish may well have lost 100 million if we don't put an end to this right now.
April 21, 200422 yr I'd prefer to take another year of losses and do things right... Easier said than done when is not your own money. I'd prefer to get things right for an entire generation of profits instead of the first year...
April 21, 200422 yr -From what I've seen of the Marlins stadium idea, the ballpark doesn't exactly look ideal, and I don't believe it includes the roof that the Marlins want either. on floridamarlins.com the story says: Movement has been made to secure more local funding, and for the first time Samson announced the probable site. An announcement on the local part of the deal could come as early as Monday. Samson said the site would be in the Orange Bowl NEIGHBORHOOD and it calls for a retractable roof.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.