Marlins Stadium

Pray 4 Rain

The Orange Bowl is a Toilet. So knocking it down is a good idea whether a new stadium is built on that land or not.

But there are many problems with putting the stadium there. It's difficult to get to - traffic on I-95 sucks and then it's a few local streets. It's in bad part of town - people just don't feel safe. There is so little parking it could almost be called a negative amount of parking - there is no lot to handle the parking and parking on people's lawns and getting blocked in for $20 isn't secure. The majority of Marlins fans come from Broward and even Palm Beach county - it's too far away for people to get to after work for weeknight games.

I know I would go to far fewer games at that location.

There is other land in Broward County, but it is either too expensive or the people who live near it don't want the stadium there. So, sadly, there isn't much alternative for a new stadium. But then I don't really think there is so much wrong with playing at Joe Robbie Stadium...

You are part of the problem, instead of being so negatie be happy we may be able to keep the Marlins in Florida and give the the benefit of the doubt, with some MAJOR renovations in the area maybe they will figure out a way to make it fan friendly and fix the parking situation. I eman at least wait till the deal is done and built to pass judgement, and make statements like" I WILL GO TO LESS GAMES.

Here we go again with the same crap as always. :thumbdown

It's in bad part of town - people just don't feel safe.

I am a 22 year old woman and I don't know how many times I have driven down that neighborhood late at night ALONE and nothing has ever happened to me. I am sorry, but crime is everywhere and where the stadium is now, is not the best of the best of neighborhoods either.

If during events in Downtown Miami go well with security, so can a Marlins game.

Truthfully, I think the area could provide some excitement and atmosphere for Marlins games. This could be turned into a real event and forge an identity - a blue collar one - that only the Dolphins seemed to cash in on at one time. Putting the Marlins back in Miami - in its very heart - may prove more shrewd than some here give credit for.

I dont see what the big deal is. Commuters from Broward/Palm Beach are going to add maybe 10-15 minutes to their time; 30 minutes total round trip. That is not so bad especially considering chartering a jet as the alternative if the Marlins DONT get a stadium.

I think there will be some creative solutions that will address the issue - which really is only parking. There could be other areas bought up around the stadium or down a few blocks that could offer parking. Heck, something like that could rejuvenate the area's economy and cause entrepreneurs to seek out ways to accomadate a new influx of customers. This could be a very good thing for the economy of Miami and help rejuvenate downtown. This could help the city get back on its feet financially too...

I think there will be some creative solutions that will address the issue - which really is only parking. There could be other areas bought up around the stadium or down a few blocks that could offer parking. Heck, something like that could rejuvenate the area's economy and cause entrepreneurs to seek out ways to accomadate a new influx of customers. This could be a very good thing for the economy of Miami and help rejuvenate downtown. This could help the city get back on its feet financially too...

I've heard this one before.... Problem is, new stadiums do not precipitate urban renewal. There are a ton of reasons out there to justify a new stadium, but please don't use the idea that it' s going to drastically improve finances in the area.

I've heard this one before.... Problem is, new stadiums do not precipitate urban renewal. There are a ton of reasons out there to justify a new stadium, but please don't use the idea that it' s going to drastically improve finances in the area. Then I guess you arent familiar with what Camden Yards did, or Jacob's Field, or several other parks built downtown.

Besides, does it really matter if the area gets rejuvenated anyway? Ask Yankee fans or Mets fans...those teams STILL draw crowds despite being in 'bad' neighborhoods. You can come up with thousands of reasons to not build a stadium in OB local, but you can also come up with thousands of reasons TO build a stadium there. Most importantly, what other options do the Marlins have?

You know your argument is weak when all you do is detract other's arguments and offer NO SOLUTION of your own. That is not hard to do - any one with a pulse can do that. So, try again.

15 minutes each way....HA. 30 minutes each way buddy and if we start drawing crowds then go ahead and tack on 45

Then STAY HOME you pathetic whiner!

I live in Palm Beach County and would look forward to a stadium at the Orange Bowl site. First off, I would not drive there. I would merely park my car over at the Palmetto Metrorail station and take the train in (just like I used to do when I lived in Miami and took the Metrorail to Dolphins games before they moved).

Most of you people are pathetic. If the stadium isn't built within 5 minutes of your house in Plantation, Tamarac, Hollywood, Coral Springs, Lauderhill, Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Coconut Creek, Sunrise, Davie, Cooper City, Dania.... then you complain that you have to drive. Last time I checked, you've got to drive ANYWHERE in South Florida.

And stemming from the first post in this thread, I know where a lot of you "Broward People" are coming from. If you don't see "white" people, or people who don't speak English, then you automatically assume that it is a bad neighborhood, that it is dangerous. I don't even have to say what that makes you!

The OB site is not ideal, I know, but beggars can't be choosers. Not once did a single municipality in Broward come up with a financing plan or land to donate! And Commissioners Parrish and Lieberman of the Broward County Commission personally told the Plantation City Commission in a meeting I attended that the County has NO MONEY for a ballpark. They said that the Panthers and Huizenga burned them with the "Rent-a-Center" and that they just didn't have the wherewithall to do it again!

So quit your whining about the location of the stadium. If it's the OB site, then be glad it is the OB. Most of you idiots who complain and say a move to Orlando would be better are just cutting of your noses to spite your face! If the new ballpark causes the creation of a ballpark village like in Denver, Cleveland, Boston, Chicago, and Seattle, all the better.

Besides, does it really matter if the area gets rejuvenated anyway? Ask Yankee fans or Mets fans...those teams STILL draw crowds despite being in 'bad' neighborhoods

Stop comparing fan attendance with NY or CHI. It's absurd. People are not going to come down from North Broward or PBC to go to games. Simple as that. They barely do now. If the Marlins can survive without the attendance from those areas, great.

You can come up with thousands of reasons to not build a stadium in OB local, but you can also come up with thousands of reasons TO build a stadium there. Most importantly, what other options do the Marlins have?

The only reason you have to build there is because it's the ONLY OPTION THERE IS. Think about that for a minute. Is this the stadium you really want? You all are so excited at the possibility of a new stadium that you don't care where it goes. But I guarantee you you'll care where it is in 10 years, when it's a tuesday night in August and the Fish are 55-60 and you are looking at going to a stadium that was built just because it was the only option.

Come to think of it, I'm guessing the Fish chose the Pro because it was their only option at the time. You like the Fish at the Pro right now?

You know your argument is weak when all you do is detract other's arguments and offer NO SOLUTION of your own.

I'm a fan, I don't need to offer a solution. If Winn-Dixie doesn't sell what I want I don't call the store manager and tell him how to fix it. I don't go there anymore. When the FO hires me as an advisor then I'll start coming up solutions.

15 minutes each way....HA. 30 minutes each way buddy and if we start drawing crowds then go ahead and tack on 45

Uh...no. Well, unless you are one of the old folks who predominantly populate Palm Beach and Broward...you all do drive a little slow after all. :thumbup

It isn't the "old folks", its families with kids (who have to go to school the next day) that I'm concerned about and who have been an important group when it comes to attending Marlins games and buying season tickets. Every season ticketholder around me is from either borward or PBC. I am the sole Miami-Dade season ticket-holder in the 30-40 seats around me.

It takes a minimum of fifteen minutes (on a good day) to drive from PPS (at the Turnpike onramp) down 95 to downtown. Add on the 836 portion, getting accross the Miami River by the hospitals and down two lane (one in each direction) streets and you are adding another 20 minutes or more to their commute, bringing the added time in each direction to 30-35 minutes IF ALL GOES WELL.

As I said in response to one of Jonny's posts, I am 100% in favor the OB IF THAT"S THE ONLY WAY to keep the Marlins here, don't misunderstand me, but let's call a spade a spade, from a transportation and parking standpoint it's a horrible site.

Uh...no. Well, unless you are one of the old folks who predominantly populate Palm Beach and Broward...you all do drive a little slow after all. :thumbup

It isn't the "old folks", its families with kids (who have to go to school the next day) that I'm concerned about and who have been an important group when it comes to attending Marlins games and buying season tickets. Every season ticketholder around me is from either borward or PBC. I am the sole Miami-Dade season ticket-holder in the 30-40 seats around me.

It takes a minimum of fifteen minutes (on a good day) to drive from PPS (at the Turnpike onramp) down 95 to downtown. Add on the 836 portion, getting accross the Miami River by the hospitals and down two lane (one in each direction) streets and you are adding another 20 minutes or more to their commute, bringing the added time in each direction to 30-35 minutes IF ALL GOES WELL.

As I said in response to one of Jonny's posts, I am 100% in favor the OB IF THAT"S THE ONLY WAY to keep the Marlins here, don't misunderstand me, but let's call a spade a spade, from a transportation and parking standpoint it's a horrible site. I'm in 100% agreement.

Is it me, or does it seem to anyone else that the Marlins organization is acting like a kid with birthday money? I mean, they seem to be willing to settle for something sub-par if it meant they go home with something. Put aside all the homerism for a second, the Marlins aren't moving anytime soon, they still are $55 million short even if they get the money from the state so this isn't a slam-dunk if the state does a complete 180. It just seems to me that the Marlins are acting rashly where patience might be the best thing for the franchise.

I live in PBC and I can tell you I'd be pissed if they went to the OB because God knows that more casual fans from PB and Broward are going to be turned off, and we've seen how wonderfully Miami supports its team...

One more thing, if you N. Broward, PB Fans dont want to come to games, good riddance. We wont need you. For the same reason you wont come to games, fans from S. Dade and the Keys will fill up the gap. Look at the MIAMI HEAT games. Most of the fans are from Dade county and since they've been winning, the arena has been selling out or close to capacity

Wha???? You don't need PB fans? That's just flat out dumb. PBC money spends just like any other money, and there is no reason why you should write off PBC's concerns.

The Heat are totally irrelevant. They are a playoff team that has a 20K stadium. If you want to compare the Heat, take a look at the attendance in Nov-January. Where were your MDC and Keys fans then?

I couldnt agree more with Browards people misconception that all of Miami is a bad neighborhood. I went to Nova up in Davie and i would hear it from the students and the teachers. It was sick. Just b/c there are Latins in Miami dont make it a bad neighborhood. It is a poor neighborhood around the OB but that doesnt make it bad.

It doesn't matter i it is a misconception or not. It is what it is. And it will keep people from going. Add that to the miserable parking/transpo issues and you won't draw flies unless the Marlins are in contention. And you know what? The Marlins (like about 29 other MLB teams) are not going to be in contention every year. So once again you are looking at 7to 10K on a weeknight in August when the Fish are having a mediocre year.

First of all, there is no need to personally attack anyone based on their opinions. I know people have strong feelings one way or the other, but there is no need to degrade another person because they disagree with you.

Ill believe this stadium when I see it. There have been so many times when deals were either "done" or "dead" and people fly off the handle. I would be glad with a stadium with an OB as long as it is a good deal for the Marlins and Im very confident Loria would not sign a long-term lease if the deal was as bad as it is now with WH. As for neighborhood, parking, access, etc., all of those need to be addressed, but people have said some of the same things before stadiums were built in previously horrible parts of Baltimore, Cleveland, Denver, to name a few. I think a big factor in how successful this stadium would be down the road is when the Metrorail station is built there. Under the People's Transportation Plan, there is an east-west line planned with a station at the OB. That would make a huge difference for people getting there, but when it is built is unknown as of now.

One more thing - just like i used an example of the Miami Heat, look at the Fla Panthers. Where are the fans? You Broward fans are so dedicated then why do the Panthers lag so much in attendance and the venue is in Broward. Made my point!!

PBC Season ticket sales still keep that franchise barely viable. The Panthers are just a bad team with one amazing player (Luongo), if they start winning, they'll draw fans, and if they play a big name team (Rangers, Avs, Red Wings) they draw.

The Panthers just haven't done enough to solidify themselves as even the third best team in South Florida, a stadium alone doesn't bring fans, it's the product on the field + ease of access...

One more thing - just like i used an example of the Miami Heat, look at the Fla Panthers. Where are the fans? You Broward fans are so dedicated then why do the Panthers lag so much in attendance and the venue is in Broward. Made my point!!

AMEN!! :notworthy

As I said in response to one of Jonny's posts, I am 100% in favor the OB IF THAT"S THE ONLY WAY to keep the Marlins here, don't misunderstand me, but let's call a spade a spade, from a transportation and parking standpoint it's a horrible site. I'm in 100% agreement.

Is it me, or does it seem to anyone else that the Marlins organization is acting like a kid with birthday money? I mean, they seem to be willing to settle for something sub-par if it meant they go home with something. Put aside all the homerism for a second, the Marlins aren't moving anytime soon, they still are $55 million short even if they get the money from the state so this isn't a slam-dunk if the state does a complete 180. It just seems to me that the Marlins are acting rashly where patience might be the best thing for the franchise.

I live in PBC and I can tell you I'd be pissed if they went to the OB because God knows that more casual fans from PB and Broward are going to be turned off, and we've seen how wonderfully Miami supports its team... Are you considering that we have a special team right now? And being patient will mean that we won't be able to resign most of our young players? This market won't be able to sustain another fire sale

I live in PBC and I can tell you I'd be pissed if they went to the OB because God knows that more casual fans from PB and Broward are going to be turned off, and we've seen how wonderfully Miami supports its team...

Well i dont think Miami would have as much as a problem as the Panthers are having in attracting fans. At least Miami Fans support the only sports team (only one in county lines) the Miami Heat - you cant say the same about Broward.WTF? The Heat are in the playoffs, they damn well better support them. Games during the first 3 months of the season weren't even at half capacity, and even during the last 3 weeks of the season, good seats were available for all games. And this is with the cheapest lower bowl seats in all of the NBA, and the Heat couldn't fill the Miami Arena, which was the smallest arena in the NBA capacity wise...

THE biggest mistake of all time by a South Florida sports franchise. But then again, we all know who got the damn thing built, thank you very much Mr. H Wayne. :plain

i feel like a broken record here, but the stadium is not in miami. for all intents and purposes, it's in broward county.

there's a reason why the club has wanted to relocate farther south from the getgo.

I live in PBC and I can tell you I'd be pissed if they went to the OB because God knows that more casual fans from PB and Broward are going to be turned off, and we've seen how wonderfully Miami supports its team... Are you considering that we have a special team right now? And being patient will mean that we won't be able to resign most of our young players? This market won't be able to sustain another fire sale Loria's smart enough to know that if there's a fire-sale, he might as well contract the franchise. Of the players that I see being potentially lost, only Lowell strikes me as a major casualty. Remember, Hampton's money and Pudge's money are coming off the books in 2 years, so after that there's going to be a jump of $13 mil annually in our budget if things remain constant.

The bigger problem would be that we'd have to stay at the Pro for another year.

Are you considering that we have a special team right now? And being patient will mean that we won't be able to resign most of our young players? This market won't be able to sustain another fire sale

Guarenteed that if there is another fire sale, it won't matter how many times this team makes a playoff run like last season, fans of South Florida will not care anymore about the Florida Marlins. This team is here and doing what its doing because of that run last year and the fans that were driven away several years ago are showing back up because they have given this team a second chance.

You can only break the hearts of fans so many times before they finally quit on you and that could very well happen to this team.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.