Marlins Stadium

thats the technical way to look at it...but thats not the way it is

693239[/snapback]

I know that is the technical way, but if you have rented in one place for that long and then get kicked out by the landlord because he got a better offer, you cannot blame anyone but your landlord for taking the better offer. That is how a capitalist society works.

I understand the sentimental value of a person's home. However, there are other places to live and you are what makes it a home.

No question people will be misplaced and hurt at first. Losing your home is tough. But in the long run will they be better off? I say yes, the buildings in that area are aging and this will allow those tenants to find better housing elsewhere. It will also help people like you (I assume you own your residence) to increase your property values and the aura of your neighbourhood will change.

Look at the plan before you shoot it down.

i did and i don't like it...

693242[/snapback]

Your reasoning is not good enough to convince me. The US Constitution gives this right to local government. Eminent Domain is what it is called, as you surely know.

The plan will improve the neighborhood. Some will be displaced, but they will find other places to live and life will go on.

how do u know, there is no improvement, they're tearing down the neighborhood and building a brand new one, how can u gaurantee anything like that, there's nothing wrong with the neighborhood now, to the residents of the neighborhood there's nothing wrong with it

693247[/snapback]

There is nothing wrong with the neighborhood. But the facility being built adds the ballpark, the aquarium, the community center, the parking garages to keep traffic away from the surface lots that now exist but won't after this is built.

Plus it gives the neighbors more events that they can sell parking for.

*sighs* this is getting redundant...whatever, thats my opinion and whether u agree with it or not there it is...lil havana is not the hellhole some of u make it out to be...

693251[/snapback]

It isn't a hellhole. I don't know where you got the idea that I called it that.

Dolphins Stadium is in a hellhole compared to the OB.

We can agree to disagree on the Eminent Domain issue, but Little Havana is no hellhole.

so many of the marlins fans live in broward, you would think they would buildthe stadium in broward, bu no! if the team, the county and the city are gonna spend $420 million for a new marlins stadium next to the orange bowl, then they should at least renovate the orange bowl to make look nicer. what about parking?!?

693326[/snapback]

Broward wouldn't put up the money. But they could have made a nice park somewhere in Ft. Lauderdale or maybe even where Lockhart is...

so many of the marlins fans live in broward, you would think they would buildthe stadium in broward, bu no! if the team, the county and the city are gonna spend $420 million for a new marlins stadium next to the orange bowl, then they should at least renovate the orange bowl to make look nicer. what about parking?!?

693326[/snapback]

The Orange Bowl will be renovated. 2 new parking garages will be built by the City.

i'm not sure if any of you geniuses are aware but samson said when they completed their 'memorandum of understanding' that there would be ample alternative ways of transportation to get to the ball park, and i'm not talking about the metro rail or the trirail. let me bring this to your attention.

like many of you said, the miami heat draw sellouts nearly every night and of course they get their fair share of fans from the north as well. so, what do they do. at outdoor world they have a shuttle in dania beach that drives down there for a minimum amount of money. this is what samson was talking about and trust me, its the most convenient, easy way to get down there.

and if they are putting a winning product on the field, it doesn't matter where it is. fans love to see a winner, and south florida fans are the true patrons of this philosophy. people need to stop complaining.please

i'm not sure if any of you geniuses are aware but samson said when they completed their 'memorandum of understanding' that there would be ample alternative ways of transportation to get to the ball park, and i'm not talking about the metro rail or the trirail. let me bring this to your attention.

like many of you said, the miami heat draw sellouts nearly every night and of course they get their fair share of fans from the north as well. so, what do they do. at outdoor world they have a shuttle in dania beach that drives down there for a minimum amount of money. this is what samson was talking about and trust me, its the most convenient, easy way to get down there.

and if they are putting a winning product on the field, it doesn't matter where it is. fans love to see a winner, and south florida fans are the true patrons of this philosophy. people need to stop complaining.please

694690[/snapback]

I agree, but some people were just born to complain :whistle

The Orange Bowl is a Toilet. So knocking it down is a good idea whether a new stadium is built on that land or not.

But there are many problems with putting the stadium there. It's difficult to get to - traffic on I-95 sucks and then it's a few local streets. It's in bad part of town - people just don't feel safe. There is so little parking it could almost be called a negative amount of parking - there is no lot to handle the parking and parking on people's lawns and getting blocked in for $20 isn't secure. The majority of Marlins fans come from Broward and even Palm Beach county - it's too far away for people to get to after work for weeknight games.

I know I would go to far fewer games at that location.

There is other land in Broward County, but it is either too expensive or the people who live near it don't want the stadium there. So, sadly, there isn't much alternative for a new stadium. But then I don't really think there is so much wrong with playing at Joe Robbie Stadium...

First off, the Orange Bowl is not a toilet, its a Historic landmark of football(professional and college). renovations were long overdue so when you think about it you are only calling it a toilet because of neglect. Ever been to a Hurricanes game? you couldnt buy my season tickets for any ammount of money... and before you say "yeah right how about a million dollars". the only thing that would do is move me to the air conditioned suites with all the other rich donors and I'd rather be in the seats where you can appreciate the game.

Now that I'm over my rant. I happen to live in the neighborhood and to be brutally honest you dont know what the f*** your talking about. i cant even remember the last time something happened in my area. no parking space? your right, there isnt... but a parking garage with 2500 spaces will help bring the price down around the stadium once they realize they have competition. And who's to say the price for parking in the garage would be so much less that $20 dollars? 10? 5? the fact is that there will be more than enough parking. I cant wait to be there opening day is a true ballpark, a marlins ballpark. a MIAMI MARLINS ballpark.

no parking space? your right, there isnt... but a parking garage with 2500 spaces will help bring the price down around the stadium once they realize they have competition. And who's to say the price for parking in the garage would be so much less that $20 dollars? 10? 5? the fact is that there will be more than enough parking.694977[/snapback]

I can understand your objection to someone making statements about the safety of your neighorhood. People who don't live in the area mistakenly compare it to other areas of downtown Miami.

The primary issue for most people is access and parking. And no, 2500 additional spaces is not going to solve the parking problem for a 38,000 seat stadium. In fact, it is woefully inadequate.

I have relatives that live extremely close to the Orange Bowl. In fact you can see one of the light poles from the yard.

The moderately safe because there are constantly kids playing outside, BBQ's on weekends, or just people outside.

Once in a while there is the occasional stolen license plate. But that can happen even in the richest neighborhoods.

I'm so happy the stadium is going to be built there. :thumbup

You have a better chance of being struck by a vehicle than you do of being a victim to a violent crime.

695235[/snapback]

i live in a building a couple blocks from the OB...someone is 100 times more likely to get mugged around here than to get hit by a car.

in fact, i have a house in that area just down the road from the OB (in the same zip code), and the only reason i refuse to move into it is because of how much the area sucks. hell, just two weeks ago that piece of s*** house got broken into and some scumbag took off with a lawnmower (which was really the only thing inside the house).

on msn homeadvisor, the violent crime risk in that zip is 8 out of 9, and the property crime risk is also 8 out of 9. you can't call that safe.

the only redeeming factor, as marlinguru pointed out, is you're fine as long as people are outside. personally i don't mind at all walking around there alone at night, but most folks i know do have concerns.