Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins stadium plan passes

Featured Replies

how could you play a bowl game and play in a baseball on stadium???

Well, I know that SBC hosts a bowl game, and the BOB does as well.

A good day indeed! We're one step closer to getting the stadium.

 

I was quite skeptical of the team's intentions early on, but in the past month or so they have shown that they are truly committed to keeping the team in S FL.

 

Really, the team, city, and county have all stepped up. I feel pretty confident that the stadium will eventually get built, and that the $30 mil gap will be filled if not by the state tax rebate then by some other source. I don't think the team would be so set on breaking ground in December or January (before they would know about a tax rebate) unless they already have an alternate plan.

May 11th, 2004.

 

A date which will live

 

In Infamy

May 11th, 2004.

 

A date which will live

 

In Infamy

thats also jack mckeons 1 year anvi. and my bros bday cool

May 11th, 2004.

 

A date which will live

 

In Infamy

Do you even know what that means?

 

Infamy?

 

I think you've got your quotes all wrong!

 

Not to rain on this "parade," but nothing really was finalized today. All this vote did was formalize the County's acceptance of the financing arrangement. In Florida, a local government cannot be bound unless voted upon by the local government.

 

There is still a $30M gap that hasn't been accounted for. Second, there is no physical way that ground will be broken and construction will begin in December. For starters, the stadium will be a DRI which is going to require review by the Department of Community Affairs in Tallahassee and the South Florida Regional Planning Council, not to mention site plan review, traffic studies, concurrency review, and other local government reviews. There is NO way that all those approvals will be completed before December, trust me. Especially if there is another county commission meeting and vote on the matter in October.

 

Don't go celebrating just yet, this is only one step in a long process of reviews and approvals. I'm sorry, but I'm coming to you from a position of FACT not EMOTION.

Do you even know what that means?

 

Infamy?

 

I think you've got your quotes all wrong!

No. I don't have my quotes all wrong. I like the quote, I wanted to use it. WTF is it to you.

 

Yes, I know what infamy is. And you know what? Technically, it applies.

 

Main Entry: in?fa?my

Pronunciation: -mE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -mies

1 : evil reputation brought about by something grossly criminal, shocking, or brutal

2 a : an extreme and publicly known criminal or evil act b : the state of being infamous

Today, Wayne and his evil ways towards the Marlins were exposed. See Bolded definition for further clarification.

Do you even know what that means?

 

Infamy?

 

I think you've got your quotes all wrong!

No. I don't have my quotes all wrong. I like the quote, I wanted to use it. WTF is it to you.

 

Yes, I know what infamy is. And you know what? Technically, it applies.

 

Main Entry: in?fa?my

Pronunciation: -mE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -mies

1 : evil reputation brought about by something grossly criminal, shocking, or brutal

2 a : an extreme and publicly known criminal or evil act b : the state of being infamous

Today, Wayne and his evil ways towards the Marlins were exposed. See Bolded definition for further clarification.

Not to rain on this "parade," but nothing really was finalized today. All this vote did was formalize the County's acceptance of the financing arrangement. In Florida, a local government cannot be bound unless voted upon by the local government.

 

There is still a $30M gap that hasn't been accounted for. Second, there is no physical way that ground will be broken and construction will begin in December. For starters, the stadium will be a DRI which is going to require review by the Department of Community Affairs in Tallahassee and the South Florida Regional Planning Council, not to mention site plan review, traffic studies, concurrency review, and other local government reviews. There is NO way that all those approvals will be completed before December, trust me. Especially if there is another county commission meeting and vote on the matter in October.

 

Don't go celebrating just yet, this is only one step in a long process of reviews and approvals. I'm sorry, but I'm coming to you from a position of FACT not EMOTION.

you have a point, there is no reason to consider this a slam dunk, but there is no reason to be negative o pessimistic either.

 

The deal is moving forward, all we can do is wait and cross our fingers. This is a step in the right direction

Do you even know what that means?

 

Infamy?

 

I think you've got your quotes all wrong!

No. I don't have my quotes all wrong. I like the quote, I wanted to use it. WTF is it to you.

 

Yes, I know what infamy is. And you know what? Technically, it applies.

 

Main Entry: in?fa?my

Pronunciation: -mE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -mies

1 : evil reputation brought about by something grossly criminal, shocking, or brutal

2 a : an extreme and publicly known criminal or evil act b : the state of being infamous

Today, Wayne and his evil ways towards the Marlins were exposed. See Bolded definition for further clarification. So, the County Commission's vote on approving the stadium financing plan is an "infamous" act? So when we think of May 11, 2004, we'll think of a day that should live in shame.

 

You obviously have NO knowledge of context!

 

Whatever..... :blink:

Ugh, some people just don't get it

Aaaaannyywwwwaaaayyyyyyyyyyy....

 

 

http://www.local10.com/sports/3293609/detail.html

 

Marlins Stadium Deal Gains Support, Faces Challenges

 

Price Goes Up, Commissioners Vow Support

 

POSTED: 5:46 pm EDT May 11, 2004

 

MIAMI -- Miami city commissioners endorsed a proposal to build a new stadium for the Florida Marlins, and even though the price may be higher than first thought and there are a lot of details to work out, they say they still support the plan.

 

The team hasn't even agreed to change its name to the Miami Marlins, and the owner's financial commitment, listed at $20 million, is still reportedly still a bit fuzzy.

 

The Miami-Dade County commitment, initially $73 million, was upped Tuesday by $47 million -- bringing the county's contribution to $120 million, one third of the stadium's total cost.

 

Miami is providing land at the Orange Bowl and would contribute $28 million in tourist taxes. The city would also help finance a $32 million garage expected to pay for itself through parking fees.

 

Michael Putney, who has been covering the stadium issue for months, says the deal approved Tuesday will work only if two things happen: first, the legislature has to approve a sales tax rebate worth $30 million, and then the old Miami Arena has to sell and soon, freeing up $23 million for a ballpark.

 

 

http://www.nbc6.net/news/3293860/detail.html

 

 

Marlins Quest For New Stadium Moves Forward

 

Miami-Dade Commissioners Vote 8-3 To Give Plan Preliminary Approval

 

POSTED: 7:06 pm EDT May 11, 2004

UPDATED: 7:12 pm EDT May 11, 2004

 

MIAMI -- A deal to build a new downtown, retractable-roof stadium for the Florida Marlins took another step forward Tuesday when Miami-Dade commissioners gave preliminary approval to the ballpark plan.

 

The 8-3 vote approved $50 million more in public money than the original proposal.

 

That?s because county officials say tourism is booming and the county can therefore afford another $24 million in tax money without hurting other projects.

 

The city of Miami expects about $23 million from selling the old Miami Arena, although that sale won't be final for several more weeks.

 

The biggest hole in the plan remains a $30 million tax break that state lawmakers would have to pass. But that won't happen until next spring at the earliest, months after city and county officials would be asked for a firm commitment to help build the stadium.

 

As for cost overruns that have plagued other new ballparks such as Milwaukee's Miller Park, the Marlins say they will pay anything over $325 million and they plan to get cost-overrun insurance.

Not to rain on this "parade," but nothing really was finalized today. All this vote did was formalize the County's acceptance of the financing arrangement. In Florida, a local government cannot be bound unless voted upon by the local government.

 

There is still a $30M gap that hasn't been accounted for. Second, there is no physical way that ground will be broken and construction will begin in December. For starters, the stadium will be a DRI which is going to require review by the Department of Community Affairs in Tallahassee and the South Florida Regional Planning Council, not to mention site plan review, traffic studies, concurrency review, and other local government reviews. There is NO way that all those approvals will be completed before December, trust me. Especially if there is another county commission meeting and vote on the matter in October.

 

Don't go celebrating just yet, this is only one step in a long process of reviews and approvals. I'm sorry, but I'm coming to you from a position of FACT not EMOTION.

If Samson claims it can happen, it can and most likely will. Why would he state something that isn't FACT on the record?

Today's PB Post had a quote from a Marlins official saying that cranes will be in place by New Year's. This thing is happening.

Ugh, some people just don't get it

No he gets it, There was nothing new unveiled today about "Wayne and his evil ways" that would make today an Infamous day. I think today will be remembered as a positive day for Miami and the Marlins I don't see how your statement about Infamy is applicable here. But whatever I think what you were trying to say got across, today will be remembered but In a positive way.

If Samson claims it can happen, it can and most likely will. Why would he state something that isn't FACT on the record?

Because take it from me, Samson and the rest of the Marlins front office personnel that are handling the development side of this stadium deal have NO idea what they are doing. Their ill fated trip to Tallahassee should have been a sign of that. Plus, their rejection, then embrace of the OB site after being shot down in Tallahassee should tell you that this is not a "professional" operation.

 

I have very reliable sources that were part of the stadium negotiations (I can't divulge more than that) that informed me that these guys have no clue how Florida law works in regards to getting developments approved and done. They actually wanted all development approvals completed by the original April deadline (mainly, have a site plan and DRI review complete without an actual location or plans!).

The parking could be better, but I'm sure they will sell the spaces at a premium (supply/demand). With good attendance 25K or more, they should be able to get $100K or more per game.

 

Not bad at all.

 

I hope they develop some nice bars/restaurants around the are. Not being able to tailgate is going to suck.

Don't forget the new park is near MetroRail, and if I remember correctly, a new station is to be built closer to the OB as part of that transportation bill that was passed by voters last November.

i heard the metro rail station construction was supposed to be built in time for the year 2017, but with the stadium it could be built in time for 2012

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.