The Winning Score...

mongoose

It's very simple... With the bases loaded there was a force out situation at ANY base. When the 3rd baseman caught the ball he touched the bag, effectively making an out and taking away the force at HOME (since there was no longer a runner at 3rd). That means that Pierre needed to be tagged out but instead the catcher just touched home, not Pierre, probably cause he did not think the 3rd baseman touched the bag and he was trying to get the double play. The problem was communication. So Pierre was Safe and the rest is history

This is one thing that I have never learned. When does the defender need to tag the runner for an out; and when does a defender need to just kick the bag for an out? What is a "forced out?"

This part of the game is not clear to me as a fan. I know it is a basic question. :blink:

I found this on MLB.com

A FORCE PLAY is a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner. Confusion regarding this play is removed by remembering that frequently the "force" situation is removed during the play. Example: Man on first, one out, ball hit sharply to first baseman who touches the bag and batter runner is out. The force is removed at that moment and runner advancing to second must be tagged. If there had been a runner on third or second, and either of these runners scored before the tag out at second, the run counts. Had the first baseman thrown to second and the ball then had been returned to first, the play at second was a force out, making two outs, and the return throw to first ahead of the runner would have made three outs. In that case, no run would score. Example: Not a force out. One out. Runner on first and third. Batter flies out. Two out. Runner on third tags up and scores. Runner on first tries to retouch before throw from fielder reaches first baseman, but does not get back in time and is out. Three outs. If, in umpire's judgment, the runner from third touched home before the ball was held at first base, the run counts.

Call me stupid, but i'm still confused....:/

Stupid.

Seriously. It's like this.

Let's say there's a guy on first.

The ball is hit to first.

The first baseman, steps on first.

Now because he steps on first, there is no force play at second and the runner now has to be tagged to be called out.

The runner could either go back to first or try for second but if he's tagged, he's out.

Because the hitter was going to first, it FORCEd the runner at first to go to second. Setting up... a force play! If the ball get's there first, the runner is out.

But because the first baseman stepped on first, there is now no force play.

lamb tagged third....so there was no force at home, pierre had to be tagged.....the ump at third was right, the home plate ump was wrong

This is correct except that it was Vizcaino, not Lamb. The umpire clearly called Castillo out at third on the force play. It was a dumb play by Ausmus -- he should've seen the ump call Castillo out and thus, should have known that he needed to tag Pierre.

I need to give Benitez HUGE props right here. What he has done so far is unbelievable and possibly the best relief ace work of any pitcher this season. Awesome.

Hey LOOPER has not allowed an ER this year. That's pretty amazing.

Another amazing stat

For the record, the Marlins through mid-week were 93-63 in the 365 days since McKeon took the managerial reins -- the best record in the majors during that span.

easy way to look at it. if you can go back to your original base then they have to tag you. if you can't, then it's a force play.

Good explanation.

So in last night's play....once Vicaino tagged third, Pierre had the option to either go back to third or proceed to home. Think of it like stealing a base. So Ausmus was required to tag Pierre to get him out. Ausmus received the ball in plenty of time, but instead of tagging Pierre, he threw it to first.

Then Pierre slid across home scoring the run.