Rick Helling could be a free agent....

Ramp

would the Fish put a call in?

CHICAGO ? Pitcher Rick Helling is ready for the Twins, but the Twins aren't ready for him. So the former 20-game winner is expected to decide as early as today whether he'll remain with the organization.

"I'm going to let him guide me,'' said general manager Terry Ryan, who was in attendance Saturday when Helling's velocity returned to the upper 80s during a six-inning start for Class AA New Britain. "I'll see him (today). I'll let him give me some guidance, however he wants to proceed.''

Helling can choose to become a free agent. The North Dakota native, signed as a minor league free agent over the winter, was the Twins' projected fifth starter until he broke his shin when hit by a line drive in an exhibition game March 20. Since then, right-hander Seth Greisinger has gone 1-1 with a 3.48 earned-run average in four starts as the Twins' fifth starter, including an impressive seven-inning performance Saturday in a 4-1 victory over Chicago.

Greisinger gets the ball again Thursday, when the Twins open a four-game home series against the White Sox, and that leaves little or no room on the roster for Helling, who has made three starts for New Britain.

"He's about ready, if not ready,'' Ryan said. "He threw the ball decent, with plenty of velocity and some crispness. I'm not concerned about his health now. It's a matter of whether we have a spot for him.''

Manager Ron Gardenhire said: "We can't punish somebody up here who's throwing the ball good. We can't take Greisinger out of there. He's pitched his tail off. That's not fair to the guys up here.''

Further complicating the potential activation of Helling is that he's not on the 40-man roster, and making space for him likely would mean losing a valued minor leaguer through the waiver process. The Twins lost pitcher Mike Nakamura to the Toronto Blue Jays after putting him on waivers to clear room last month.

"It's a tough situation,'' Gardenhire said of Helling's predicament. "It's unfortunate for him he got hurt when he did.''

Guest Moneyball

i agree they should sign him. he would be necessary in those starts when AJ comes back on limited pitch counts.

Would he come here to sit in the Bully?

I gotta believe some other squad would let him toe the slab as a starter.

Helling is one of baseball's 'good guys'. Maybe if we put an offer in, he'd be loyal to his world champion organization that definately regrets letting him squirm away.

If you wait long enough what goes around, comes around.

It may be that it's not so much that the Marlins don't want Rick Helling as Rick Helling doesn't want the Marlins. On one hand I'm sure he'd like to be back with the World Champions but on the other he knows he's not going to start here. And his first choice, and what may play a part in his decision is if he can catch on somewhere as a starter.

If he did re-sign here the potential bullpen for the Marlins come August could be Benitez, Fox, Helling, Oliver and Wayne. Then all we need is someone to backup Benitez

I've been following Helling and Ricky Bottalico all season. I know there's a RB hater or two out there but that's not the point, he's doing great in a very limited role with the Mets and Helling, if he can be convinced to forfeit starting to become a situational pitcher may extend his career by a couple of years. If he can get his fastball back over 90 (which he hasn;t done yet) Helling could be a good addition.

And the best part? No one has to be traded to acquire him if the Twins let him go.

if im not mistaken the reason why Helling left the fish in the offseason (we offered him a contract) was because he wanted to start, and not be a reliever.

what it's probably going to come down to is, he's going to have to decide whether he wants to start, or if he wants to be on a winning team.

Damn Spooneybarger. Why did he have to go and get injured...

Helling would be nice, but not really a factor to help us. We need someone to replace Fox - and be a solid 3rd option when Fox returns. I dont think Helling would be that.

Tejera is making some noise down on the farm. Maybe he could help us...?

Damn Spooneybarger. Why did he have to go and get injured...

Helling would be nice, but not really a factor to help us. We need someone to replace Fox - and be a solid 3rd option when Fox returns. I dont think Helling would be that.

Tejera is making some noise down on the farm. Maybe he could help us...?

The only noise Tejera is making in AAA are groans in the crowds.

With a little luck, unless he re-invents himself as a junkballer or something he's done.