Huizenga Comments About New Stadium

Dolphins and Pro Player Stadium owner Wayne Huizenga said Tuesday he's surprised and pleased the Marlins are likely going to get a new stadium, projected to open in 2007.

But Huizenga indicated the Marlins would be wasting their time by trying to persuade the state legislature to reallocate a $30 million state sales tax rebate previously earmarked for baseball at Pro Player Stadium.

''We've already spent the money and made all the stadium modifications,'' said Huizenga, confirming it would obviously bother him if the Marlins try that approach.

The Marlins, who aren't commenting on their strategy, could attempt to convince the legislature to give them a new rebate for $30 million or try to get the rebate earlier given to PPS -- an idea raised by a top city of Miami official. Are the Marlins worthy of their own rebate? ''That's not for me to comment on,'' Huizenga said.

Because of operating costs, Huizenga has said PPS would be better off without the Marlins, and that he could make the same money by holding a couple of extra concerts instead. Previous Marlins owners Huizenga and John Henry failed to get public financing for a stadium, and Huizenga has declined owner Jeffrey Loria's requests to change the PPS lease terms.

''All of a sudden, it just came together real quick,'' Huizenga said of the stadium deal. ``It's good for South Florida. I'm rooting for them. We asked in 1997 and [local government]said no chance. But that's OK. Things change.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/8699714.htm

Quite frankly, I don't give a good god darn what pot faced, money grabbing, running the Miami Dolphins into the ground and blaming the kicker and Marlins for not making into the playoffs last year.....I JUST DON'T CARE WHAT HE THINKS! :mad :

I just can't wait for a few more years down the line when I don't have to give that man ANY of my money and can give it to someone who I know deserves it. :thumbup

let's see, so we give you state money so you can make your park accomodate your marlins.

you spend only a third of what you supposedly needed.

you sold off the team.

you then made the stadium lease so horrible that the team could no longer afford to play in the stadium that you requested state money so they could play in.

makes perfect sense to me. :blink:

let's see, so we give you state money so you can make your park accomodate your marlins.

you spend only a third of what you supposedly needed.

you sold off the team.

you then made the stadium lease so horrible that the team could no longer afford to play in the stadium that you requested state money so they could play in.

makes perfect sense to me. :blink:

Woah woah... you got that a little mixed up there. First he created a second company to operate the stadium and divert revenue from the Marlins so he could claim he lost money. Then he sold the team making Henry keep the same lease he once had with his own self.