The Death Penalty

Dodge

This is an issue I tend to agree on with the religious folks but not for religious reasons.

Personally I dont support the death penalty. I dont think killing or even torturing the crap out of this ahole who killed your loved one is going to heal the pain of losing that loved one. I think the wounds of loss have to be healed through other methods. Ive talked to people who have lost loved ones and seen the killer executed and they told me it didnt help. It might be no different then losing a loved one in a car accident. The religious view tends to be what I lean towards. What kind of world would be live in if, whenever we lost someone, another person had to suffer? Sometimes somebody cant suffer.

Nor do I buy the deterrance argument for psychological reasons. I dont think that someone who is about to kill takes into account the difference between life in prison and the death penalty.

BUT, do I impose such views on everyone? No way. I cant criticize someone who has lost a loved one to a killer and wants to see the death penalty when I myself havent(knock on wood). And frankly, I dont know how I will act if a killer takes someone I care about away from me or does it in a horrible manner. Sometimes the fear of knowing you are about to die can be the proper punishment for some animals out there.

So in the end I suppose Ill leave it up to the families in cases of heinous crimes.

But I also think we need to improve our system now. Im suprised at how much resistance there is to this. There have been too many people exonerated from death row with new evidence. Im sure there are a lot more. This needs to be fixed.

I believe in it. I don't care what people say about money or what people say about whether or not it acts like a deturrent. If you make life imprisonment the worse punishment, people will fight that to no end and all you do is keep lowering the bar.

People who kill are a drain on society. Kill them. Same with pedophiles.

I'm in support of it. then again, I do live in texas...

basically, I believe it's the state's right to protect its citizens. that means, if you can assure that whoever is convicted is really guilty, the state has the right to avenge an innocent person's murder.

i once knew a girl whose best friend and her mother's house was broken into. the guy murdered the girl and her mother and chopped them into pieces. he does NOT deserve to even have his life when he took 2 innocent ones.

the death penalty will not deter people from committing crimes (other than maybe they'll think twice knowing that if caught, they'll be killed), but it DOES give peace of mind to the victim's family. i would be enraged to know that someone who murdered a loved one of mine is alive.

and the death penalty doesn't always have to be "more expensive" than life in prison. for example, in china, the person to be killed's family pays for the bullet, and they're shot in the back of the head. of course, china isn't an ideal model for a lot of stuff, but still.

people should be held accountable for their actions. i don't want my tax dollars supporting some lowlife murderer.

Im for the death penalty. For one what soriano is saying is correct in the fact that if we lower the sentence for murder 1 we must also do so for murder 2 and so forth to equate it with this. Second The problem with the death penalty are the appeals processes so it takes 11 years for someone to be executed. It must be done more efficiently to act as a deterrent and to be cheaper. And if it were up to me we would stick criminals in 8 x 10 boxes but that wouldnt fly b/c of the cruel and unusual punishment laws.

Im for the death penalty. For one what soriano is saying is correct in the fact that if we lower the sentence for murder 1 we must also do so for murder 2 and so forth to equate it with this. Second The problem with the death penalty are the appeals processes so it takes 11 years for someone to be executed. It must be done more efficiently to act as a deterrent and to be cheaper. And if it were up to me we would stick criminals in 8 x 10 boxes but that wouldnt fly b/c of the cruel and unusual punishment laws.

you lose your rights as a citizen when you commit a crime and are convicted of it.

the main thing I have against the death penalty is the fact that putting a convicted criminal to death does more than just ruin his life (literally). Chances are, he has friends and family who love him no matter what he's done. It therefore punishes innocent people.

I don't know.

Sometimes I feel that convicted murderers should be put to death.

Everytime I think about the death penalty, I'm reminded of what Ron White (a Texan who is on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour) has to say: "While the rest of the country is trying to get rid of the death penalty, my state (Texas) is puttin in an express lane". :lol

I'm in support of it. then again, I do live in texas...

basically, I believe it's the state's right to protect its citizens. that means, if you can assure that whoever is convicted is really guilty, the state has the right to avenge an innocent person's murder.

i once knew a girl whose best friend and her mother's house was broken into. the guy murdered the girl and her mother and chopped them into pieces. he does NOT deserve to even have his life when he took 2 innocent ones.

the death penalty will not deter people from committing crimes (other than maybe they'll think twice knowing that if caught, they'll be killed), but it DOES give peace of mind to the victim's family. i would be enraged to know that someone who murdered a loved one of mine is alive.

and the death penalty doesn't always have to be "more expensive" than life in prison. for example, in china, the person to be killed's family pays for the bullet, and they're shot in the back of the head. of course, china isn't an ideal model for a lot of stuff, but still.

people should be held accountable for their actions. i don't want my tax dollars supporting some lowlife murderer.

it's just awfully difficult to apply capital punishment fairly with our system right now.

most people put to death are poor & can't afford the defense a wealthy person could.

i still lean towards capital punishment in the worst cases. it's an issue i struggle with though.

yeah, I agree with the whole issue of making sure the convicted is really guilty. assuming there was a way to determine for sure, i'd be in favor of killing them rather than letting them live. however, it's really hard to be sure (especially here in houston where we've had issues with the DNA/crime labs in police departments.)

so yes, i see where you're coming from.

Okay, I have a compromise.

No death penalty, but all convicted pedophiles and murderers are stripped of their rights as citizens and have to work in a modern day version of the Gulog (sp). Their forced labor is punishment, we make money, and everyone wins but the criminals.

But if they are going to sit on their ass and gang rape, smoke, lift weights, and watch HBO with my and other's tax money, kill them.

I'm against the death penalty for one main reason........

A lot of people have been wrongfully convicted of murder and given the death penalty in the past, and therefore I say no to the death penalty because killing innocent people is awful.

If they come up with a foolproof way to prove or disprove somebody did or didn't committ a death penalty like crime, then I'd have to think about it, but even then I just believe we should give somebody life in prison and let God figure out their punishment after they die.

Some stats and stuff on the death penalty that lead me to my conlcusion:

Over 80 countries in the world have abandoned capital punishment, including Russia and the former countries of the Soviet Union. A barbaric and medieval practice, the death penalty seems out of place in the only two so-called "advanced" industrialized countries in the world that use it-Japan and the United States.

Japan has half the population of the United States, so it would be logical to surmise that Japan has at least half as many people on death row than the United States. However, that is not the case. Japan has 52 people on death row compared to the United States with 3700.

The United States also executes children, and is among the six countries in the world that allow for the execution of juveniles. The other countries include Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Bangladesh, and Saudi Arabia

children meaning under the age of 18

The justice system has been known to make mistakes. Since the death penalty came back to the United States in 1977, 650 people have been executed. But 86 have also been released after their innocence was established or it was ascertained that their trial process was so flawed there was serious question about their guilt.

While Blacks make up 12 percent of the U.S. population, they make up 48 percent of those on death row. But it's not just the race of the perpetrator that matters; the race of the victim is equally significant. For example, half of the victims of murder in the United States are African American but 85 percent of the people on death row are there for killing a Caucasian. The overview statistic is rather telling: There have been about 18,000 people put to death since the first execution took place in the United States, and of those 18,000 only 37 have been charged with taking the life of a person of color.

There are no billionaires on death row, no millionaires on death row, and the number of those from the middle class on death row is marginal.

So who are these people on death row? They are the poorest of the poor, the most powerless of the powerless. They are the product of the worst housing, the worst education, and the worst medicine.

In my opinion the only people worthy of being put to death are corporate types who steal money. Although I think people who commit these types of crimes are the most worthy of dying, I still don't think the death penalty is in order.

Second The problem with the death penalty are the appeals processes so it takes 11 years for someone to be executed. It must be done more efficiently to act as a deterrent and to be cheaper.

Need I point out the countless number of people who, because of their appeal rights, have actually been exonerated? Effeciency? Youve got to be kidding.

Thats how it should be, but apparently it isnt the case when we have criminals sueing b/c they dont have TVs in their cells or b/c prison food doesnt taste good.

Please show me where a criminal has successfully attained this? Id like specific examples.

But if they are going to sit on their ass and gang rape, smoke, lift weights, and watch HBO with my and other's tax money, kill them.

Should we kill ALL criminals because they use tax payers money? I agree the criminal justice system is seriously flawed today when gangs can form inside prisons and mobsters can continue their methods. But executing everyone? Are you serious?

I agree that the prison system today sucks and needs to be improved big time to make it a larger detterent for repeat offenders but the problems are due more with apathy and funding.

Japan has half the population of the United States, so it would be logical to surmise that Japan has at least half as many people on death row than the United States. However, that is not the case. Japan has 52 people on death row compared to the United States with 3700.

I thought we had more than japan and also more crime is commited where we live. USA! USA! USA!

Also, i have brought the statistics up concerning blacks. They cause more crime than their proporiton in the population. People here know my opinion on why so I'm not going to reiterate that. However, this explains the amount of blacks on death row.

I'm with SorianoFan on this one. I'm for it but I'd rather see a forced labor camp to benefit the economy.

I could agree with that.

But I believe that if you take an innocent life, you don't deserve to live. In jail, you still get food, water, oxygen and visitors - things that that killed person will never get anymore. I always liked the "eye for an eye" system that was used wayy back when but it was too complicated in a way, still it was fair IMO.

And what Mags said about the death penalty being a bad idea because there's many innocent people convicted of murder.......well i see what you're saying but is that a good enough excuse to not have the death penalty? what about the majority that have actually murdered someone? should we let off the real killers just because our court system sucks?

A murderer should never be re-integrated into society, IMO. Unless there are extenuating circumstances (it was truly an accident, etc.).

I'm for annexing some small crappy island no one has any use for and putting them on it. Survival of the fittest. We don't even waste time giving them food. Just have them catch what they can or eat each other.

I'm not for the death penalty. But, in this case I can't think of a fitting altrernative (I don't like paying for murderer's meals).

And frivolous (SP?) lawsuits should be punished severely. I'm talking the lawyer and the prisoner should have to pay for this crap. Not because they actually WIN their cases, but because they're wasting valuable court time.

And frivolous (SP?) lawsuits should be punished severely. I'm talking the lawyer and the prisoner should have to pay for this crap. Not because they actually WIN their cases, but because they're wasting valuable court time.

Why should people be denied access to at least arguing their case? If its frivolous then the other side will win on summary judgment. Ill explain how it works. Prisoner's attorney has to file a brief to the court based on legal arguments against the prison system. The board of corrections lawyer will then file a motion to dismiss arguing they have no case. The court will review that motion and if it is frivilous, the court will grant the motion to dismiss. How are rescources wasted? The board of corrections takes a day to file that motion?

And again Ill ask, what specific examples are there of these super frivilous lawsuits or prisoners winning the right to get things like TVs?

Okay, I have a compromise.

No death penalty, but all convicted pedophiles and murderers are stripped of their rights as citizens and have to work in a modern day version of the Gulog (sp). Their forced labor is punishment, we make money, and everyone wins but the criminals.

Actually, studies have shown that it costs more to execute a prisoner than to maintain his life behind bars - YOu are too smart to post an opinion that has a statistical rebuttal, SorianoFan.... What's up, you slipping???

Anyways, the financial issues are the only reason I have a problem with capital punishment. In all other regards it's cool with me.