Trade Rumor

fishfan25

I was looking at the message board at ESPN.com and they were saying that we are really interested in minnesota twins OF J.Jones ( can't spell his first name )

they said that:

Conine, Nunez

FOR

Jones, minor league pitcher.

i think this is stupid for two reasons:

1. conine is mr.marlin.

2. Jones is not that good.

but if conine was really struggling and jones was having a good year then maybe.

it would really hurt me though since i really really like jeff conine.

but if it helps the team out then it is good enough for me though it would be bittersweet.

thoughts?

I would do that in a heartbeat. JJ has 10 home runs and he's hitting .267. He also has some pop in his left handed bat and he has nice speed.

The Marlins need all of that.

More speed. Last year, we had Pudge, Lee, and Encarnacion. Those guys had a combined 50 steals. Choi, Cabrera, and Redmond are on pace for 9 steals.

Let's face it, every team needs power. We have JP and Louie who probably aren't even gonna hit 5 combined home runs, Redmond who will probably get 2 home runs, Gonzo who is not a home run hitter despite his numbers, and the pitcher spot. And Jeff Conine doesn't have that much power anymore either. We have three home run threats and I think we need one more. Lowell, Cabrera, and Choi won't be hitting Home Run left and right so we need another big stick. Jones can get us 15. And Lowell has been getting walked so much lately. We really need some power.

Getting him would be great.

And by the way, I know he's Mr. Marlins and all, but Mr. Marlins has been leaving quie a few men on base and he shouldn't get any special treatment because of who he is. I'd rather win games then have a struggling player start every game and conintue to stink up the place. Too bad this would never happen.

And Lowell has been getting walked so much lately. We really need some power.

Arguing that we need another RBI man because Lowell is getting walked too much is ridiculous and nonsense. What makes you think our opponents won't walk the other guy too? Getting on base is as good as a hit! Look at SF last year in the playoffs...most of the times that we walked Bonds we suffered thanks to their other guys, and we have that behind lowell in Cabs.

No, trading conine would be a HUGE public relations blunder. You play to win games, true, but:

1) It's not like he's struggling. hell, he could be better and have more RBI's, but his BA is OK with me!

2) You not only have to win GAMES, you have to win the FANS. Conine is MR. MARLIN for a reason man!, He's been the only player to be with us in BOTH titles. He's a valuable piece of Marlins history, and it'd be horrible to let him go, specially after signing him and after all he's done for this franchise.

If you want to trade someone, we have plenty in Nunez, Oliver, Castro, prospects, etc.

You don't trade one of your franchise players. :thumbdown

And Lowell has been getting walked so much lately. We really need some power.

Arguing that we need another RBI man because Lowell is getting walked too much is ridiculous and nonsense. What makes you think our opponents won't walk the other guy too? Getting on base is as good as a hit! Look at SF last year in the playoffs...most of the times that we walked Bonds we suffered thanks to their other guys, and we have that behind lowell in Cabs.

No, trading conine would be a HUGE public relations blunder. You play to win games, true, but:

1) It's not like he's struggling. hell, he could be better and have more RBI's, but his BA is OK with me!

2) You not only have to win GAMES, you have to win the FANS. Conine is MR. MARLIN for a reason man!, He's been the only player to be with us in BOTH titles. He's a valuable piece of Marlins history, and it'd be horrible to let him go, specially after signing him and after all he's done for this franchise.

If you want to trade someone, we have plenty in Nunez, Oliver, Castro, prospects, etc.

You don't trade one of your franchise players. :thumbdown You get fans by winning. We've had plenty of great players and no fans. These fans down here don't give a s***. They're all bandwagoners. We need to win first. Conine is not producing like the Marlins hoped he would. He's never been a home run threat and we count on guys like that for big hits in tight situations. He hasn't been coming through. I guarantee you that the Marlins are making a trade this year. Our offense just does not look good.

they said that:

Conine, Nunez

FOR

Jones, minor league pitcher.

This trade won't happen for two reasons:

1. Jones is probably the Twins most consistent offensive player, and there is no way they will trade him.

2. The Marlins would be ROBBING the Twins beyond belief (sorry Conine fans, but he doesn't have trade value).

If the Marlins have a chance to make this deal though, they should do it in a heartbeat.

Hold on a sec...this is purely fictional.

There is NO WAY the Twins deal Jones for Conine. Sorry. It is almost laughable. Now, for Nunez and a minor league pitcher - that pitcher would have to be a stud. Jones is in his last year of his contract with Minnesota and is playing for the big deal. If we got him, there wouldnt be any gurantee of keeping him past the end of the season. Beltran is available, and that may be worth giving up a stud for.

The Marlins have liked Jones for sometime though, so it wouldnt surprise me to see us interested in him. It would surprise me to see the Twins deal him for a more expensive player (Conine) who is just getting older.

Conine and Pavano are worth more to us than all of these trades put them to be. no trade.

I also think that they are worth more to us than to other teams. Well, maybe not Pavano who could start for any team in the league. (and Pavs will stick around after this year...)

I heard this rumor this offseason by some Twins-focused sabrematic blog that they think the Marlins may be interested in Jones because supposed that we're just the team to take a modestly-priced high-average low-on base percentage guy.

Never actually read the Marlins were actually interested, but another lefthanded bat would be nice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.