I got the Dodgers offer for Lowell

I got this from my LA friend in an e-mail. He's been pretty good before, so take for what its worth

The Marlins want a young position player in return and two close to the ML pitchers

The Dodgers are offering

*2B Victor Diaz (double A) or OF Franklin Gutierrez (single A) or Joe Thurston (triple A)

*LHP Steve Colyer (triple A)

*RHP Edwin Jackson(double A) or RHP Joel Hanrahan (double A)

Colyer is a flamethrowing lefty bullpen guy

Diaz is not Castillo is more like Vidro with some pop.

Jackson is one of the youngest pitchers in double A and Hanrahan is having a great season in double A

Thurston is more like Castillo but couldn't stick with the big club

Gutierrez is your 5-tool all world OF who is hitting over .300 in single A

I would take the Dodgers position players and the Cubs pitchers. Let's see what the Cubs offer.

as much as i will be sad to see Lowell go, i know thats its inevitable that he's leaving, but what i dont get is why we want prospects who probably the farthest they will get is a spring training invitee, why dont we get a couple of good major league players that will start and make an impact on our team, instead of getting Double and Triple A players that most likely will just be a disappointment. :mischief2

as much as i will be sad to see Lowell go, i know thats its inevitable that he's leaving

The only player that is inevitably leaving would be your avatar. Derrek basically is gone, but Lowell is still considered the one guy that you most likely need to keep to succeed.

I'm sorry, I just do not see Mike Lowell leaving.

as much as i will be sad to see Lowell go, i know thats its inevitable that he's leaving

The only player that is inevitably leaving would be your avatar. Derrek basically is gone, but Lowell is still considered the one guy that you most likely need to keep to succeed.

I'm sorry, I just do not see Mike Lowell leaving. You mean you dont think he's leaving by July 31 rst? or Next year, or....

as much as i will be sad to see Lowell go, i know thats its inevitable that he's leaving, but what i dont get is why we want prospects who probably the farthest they will get is a spring training invitee, why dont we get a couple of good major league players that will start and make an impact on our team, instead of getting Double and Triple A players that most likely will just be a disappointment. :mischief2

Why do we want prospects???

Prospects are cheap, cheap cheap, that's why we want 'em.

Besides, prospects don't come with minor inconvieniences like decent salaries, or arbitration eligibility.

Nor do they come with an established service record in the Bigs, so they don't expect a contract that is longer than the standard 4 hour contract the Marlins sign their MLB talent to.

Nor do they have no-trade clauses, which would be invoked quicker than a mongoose on crack whenever a veteran with one gets wind he's being traded to the baseball purgatory that is the Marlins.

The Marlins are shoppers looking for a Wal-Mart on 5th Avenue.