Marlins are Buyers

espn has a new article posting the buyers and sellers and has this to say about the marlins as buyers.

Florida: The defending world champions need some offense. Through Tuesday, the Marlins are 13th in the NL in runs scored. What's more, they might be willing to move some pitching (Brad Penny? Carl Pavano?) to get a bat.

They've had some internal discussions about Nomar Garciaparra, but things would have to really bottom out in Boston for that to advance much.

it seems the chances of landing nomar are still out there but the red sox would still have to fall out of it some more.

also it seems beltran is on the move again and is being shopped by the astros because he isnt making a big difference and the stros are slowly falling out of the race

ESPN is on a fishing expedition with this drivel.

I love it how every year come the deadline they trampse out every conceivable sequence of events, hoping that soem of them will come true down the line.

The Beltran bit is especially dumb, even for ESPN. Even if the Astros aren't pleased with Beltran's performance to date, you think they have decided to cut bait and ditch him already?

I think they'll ditch him if they're out of it come July 31st.

And can we put a rest on the Penny/Pavano trade rumors. Some one in Boston or somewhere wanted to create a market for Nomar that does not exist and included their names. Do you really think Beinfest is going to give up one of his two best pitchers for a rent a player who has not proven anything this year?

ESPN is on a fishing expedition with this drivel.

I love it how every year come the deadline they trampse out every conceivable sequence of events, hoping that soem of them will come true down the line.

The Beltran bit is especially dumb, even for ESPN. Even if the Astros aren't pleased with Beltran's performance to date, you think they have decided to cut bait and ditch him already?

446497[/snapback]

Actually, it's not "dumb" for ESPN, since it's been said all over. The Astros are going to ditch him if they fall out too far.

If Beltran didnt make a difference for Houston...

Look. I said this when the 'Stros traded for Beltran - they were dumb because they didnt have enough pitching and increasing your offense (especially now that Hidalgo is tearing it up with the Muts) is not going to help your team.

LEARN FROM THEIR EXAMPLE! This Marlins team is not going to do better by acquiring a bat. We need to get our pitching right first. That means you wont see Penny or Pavano dealt, that is, if we want to win this season, because pitching and defense REALLY DOES win championships and we are already short handed with Beckett out and Burnett still coming back from injury. We need consistency from our starters, not patchwork.

Nomar would help IF: a) we traded away marginal prospects and b) the Red Sux ate some of his contract. You would almost have to include Sea Bass in the deal because he would do no good sitting the bench and his value would be too high to keep there. But this scenario wont happen and a lot of people around baseball doubt Nomar's skills these days. I wouldnt go that far, but I do think he wants out of Boston and needs a change of scenery.

Again, this team has enough to win. It just needs to play better - and the current crop of players have that ability. Time to step up and perform to a level that is expected of them.

I am not so sure that you wont see Penny or Pavano, or both traded. These two guys are going to get some serious money And want a long term deal, if the fo feels like they cant sign these two, whats the point, even with Penny for 1 yr, once again you are renting a player, they will trade them cuz their trade value is high. Both would love to stay as they love south florida, but both want a multi year deal.

I am not so sure that you wont see Penny or Pavano, or both traded. These two guys are going to get some serious money And want a long term deal, if the fo feels like they cant sign these two, whats the point, even with Penny for 1 yr, once again you are renting a player, they will trade them cuz their trade value is high. Both would love to stay as they love south florida, but both want a multi year deal.

446791[/snapback]

I dont doubt that their value is high in a possible trade, but I think in order for this team to win they need to hold on to pitching more than they need to acquire a bat. You do take the risk of losing Pavano in the offseason, but he likes South Florida and seems to be pretty loyal to this ownership group since they salvaged his career in the first place more than once. I think worst case you are looking at Freddy Garcia money - 3 years @ $27M+. Not too bad - but of course, other teams are going to come at him hard.

If the Marlins do deal either, they better get back a MLB ready starter and a bat too. I could live with Oliver Perez and Craig Wilson, for example...

theres no way we trade bot penny AND pavano unless if we fall out of contention. We may trade one of them to get some of the pieces we're missing.

446827[/snapback]

Bot Penny...wonder what his model # is. He could use an upgrade... :D

Kind of funny imagining Penny as a robot...but then again, I am suffering from a lack of sleep...

i would def take beltran he didnt make a big diffrence in houston right ....wrong he tore it up the rest of the team just isnt good enough we could def use him at the Plate but in the field big time i honstely think if we could land him that would be the missing piece to the puzzle