Nomah Trade

Beinfest4Prez

In return for Nomar Garciaparra, the Red Sox will get Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz. The Cubs will send Alex Gonzalez, Francis Beltran and Brendan Harris to the Expos and Justin Jones to the Twins.

Bad, bad trade for Boston. Cabrera and Mientkiewicz, while useful when they're playing well, have been two of baseball's weakest regulars this year. Mientkiewicz should have had negative trade value because of his contract, so Terry Ryan did very well to get a top pitching prospect for him. The Expos are also getting a couple of decent pieces.

Nomar is overrated, but the Cubs didn't overpay for him. Harris will be good, but the Cubs infield isn't exactly desperate for a savior. Alex Gonzalez ain't crap as we all know either. Francis Beltran is going to be a top of the line closer, but you have to give up something to get something.

The Cubs Acquired:

Nomar Garciaparra (and his .266 avg and .773 OPS outside of Boston the past 3 seasons, along with .255 avg in september these past 3 seasons)

Matt Murton

Cash

Cubs Traded:

Justin Jones (Just wondering, but wasnt he a 1st rnd pick by them this or last season?) to the Twins

Alex Gonzalez To the expos

Francis Beltran To the Expos

Brendan Harris To the Expos

Basicly it will help the Cubs this season, but if he doesnt Resign with Chicago..

My guess is Nomar will find hitting in Wrigley to be to his liking. Will it be enough to turn that team around? Who knows...but with the talent they have and the money they've spent...if I were Dusty Baker I might be getting a bit worried. Of couse, Admin Bowa is still managing the Phillies...so who knows.

Justin Jones? How many ML wins does he have? A prospect, is just that a prospect...and a pretty big risk. The Twins traded away a guy they didn't feel they need and weren't going to pay to open up a spot for Morneau. They also end up with a shot at another MLB pitcher.

The Red Sox may have shored up an infield defense that was more than horrid. While Doug M hasn't been lighting it up offensively, he'll probably hit close to .300 and between him and Cabrerra probably save the Sox close to a hit/error a game. While the Sox poor fielding isn't the only reason that Lowe (sinker ball) has stunk...this certainly can't hurt him.

Unfortunately, they're still not going to catch the Yankees, but have a decent shot at winning the wildcard now....if Francona doesn't get in the way.

The Expos? Who knows...but Frank Robinson will figure out how to get a few wins with these new guys...at least get them to play hard. If they're really going to be playing in RFK next year they should stock up on guys who can hit pop-ups to left...cause it won't take much to hit a tater there. That place really isn't made for baseball.

I like Mien-whatever. He plays good defense, which is what the Sox needed.

Nomar will be loved in Chicago, the same as he was in Boston. If there is anywhere I would want Nomar to be other than the Sox its with the Cubbies.

Guest Juanky

I dunno about owned, I gotta think the Red Sox won this deal. Expos also made out pretty well considering Orlando most likely was not coming back.

What an awful trade! The Twins trade their BEST player for a fu*king prospect!?!? A fu*king pitching prospect!?!?

At the least the Twins could have gotten somebody whose fuc-king pitched in the big leagues before! Or even a utility man!

But a frickin prospect?!

What a dumbass, bullsh-it trade this was for the Twins.

The Red Sox made out like fuc-king bank robbers. So did the Cubs, and Expos.

What an awful trade! The Twins trade their BEST player for a fu*king prospect!?!? A fu*king pitching prospect!?!?

At the least the Twins could have gotten somebody whose fuc-king pitched in the big leagues before! Or even a utility man!

But a frickin prospect?!

What a dumbass, bullsh-it trade this was for the Twins.

The Red Sox made out like fuc-king bank robbers. So did the Cubs, and Expos.

488545[/snapback]

what are you smoking?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.