Kendry Morales

AniR300

MARLINS WANT MORALES

The Marlins plan to pursue Cuban defector Kendry Morales, who claimed Thursday he has established residency in the Dominican Republic, the first step toward being declared a free agent.

''I'll be working on it immediately,'' said Fred Ferreira, the Marlins' director of international operations.

However, Patrick Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said Morales' status has not been cleared by the commissioner's office and a memo was sent to all 30 clubs advising them not to talk to Morales' representatives until that is resolved.

''We haven't received anything,'' Courtney said. ``It's not going to be a problem . . . as long as he gets the paperwork in.''

Morales, a switch-hitter who can play both corner infield and both corner outfield spots, left Cuba in June, arriving in Miami. After a bidding war reportedly involving as many as four agents, Morales, 21, agreed to be represented by John D. Mano and David Valdes, who held a media conference Thursday in Santo Domingo.

''I just want to play baseball, something that I couldn't do in Cuba in recent times,'' Morales, who was suspended by Cuban officials in December for planning to defect, told The Associated Press. ``In Cuba, I never dreamed of the possibility of playing in the big leagues. My dreams were to play in the national series and on the national team.''

Morales, the best young position player in Cuba in more than a generation, set seven rookie records in Cuban League play, banging out 114 hits, 21 homers and driving in 82 runs in his first year with Havana's Industriales. In last year's Serie Nacional, Morales led the league with 44 hits and 12 doubles while batting .361 with two homers and 17 RBI before being suspended.

-Herald

Guest markotsay7

For the most part Cuban players haven't had a problem with their age...I know there was a rumor a few years back about El Duque but I'm not sure they ever proved anything about that.

I say it's worth the shot, I'm sure the FO won't overpay for him.

Our FO definitely won't overpay, but...to those of you who are thinking about it...Kendry won't take a hometown discount! are you kidding me??? he risked his life for freedom and economic prosperity and you expect him to take a discount for a Miami team?? Hell no! He'll go to the highest bidder.

I'd definitely love to see him with the Marlins though...I think this guy is the real thing, plus, he's Cuban, and I've always insisted on how the Fish would benefit from a high profile Cuban player which would bring more and more Cubans to the park.

"I've always insisted on how the Fish would benefit from a high profile Cuban player which would bring more and more Cubans to the park."

Sorry - didn't work with AlexF or Livan -

Anyways, I think Kendry would accept less to play here in Havana North. It's like you getting an offer to play pro soccer in England or Bulgaria - where would you go?

"I've always insisted on how the Fish would benefit from a high profile Cuban player which would bring more and more Cubans to the park."

Anyways, I think Kendry would accept less to play here in Havana North. It's like you getting an offer to play pro soccer in England or Bulgaria - where would you go?

500614[/snapback]

good point about Livan/Alex...still, don't agree with the discount some of you are proposing. Ain't happening...

500614[/snapback]

Wouldn't it be different with the new stadium?

500681[/snapback]

First off, our attendance was pretty decent in '97, although i'm not sure about the cuban demographic. I think in 2007 a star cuban player would definitely help attendance amongst cubans since the stadium is set to be in the middle of little havana.

500614[/snapback]

Is nailing Posh Spice included in the deal going to England? :D

500614[/snapback]

how so?

attendance was much better back then.... even in 98, after the firesale, attendance was still at about the level it is this year (and, by the end of this season, i'd wager that this year's attendance will actually be less than the attendance in 98 for the last-place marlins.). obviously some of that is due to the team's newness wearing off, but clearly, the team had more attendance with alex and livan...i don't see how one could come to the conclusion that it didn't work.

on the contrary, i see nothing to suggest a cuban player wouldn't generate more interest in the team.

Shaq, I've followed the team very closely ever since 93, & I can tell you that the cuban players did not increase ticket sales.

Sample - in 97, you'd draw 23,000 on Tuesday to see KBrown, 24,000 on Wed to see ALeiter, then 18,000 on Thu to see AlexF. On a game-to-game basis, the cuban star influence did not translate to increased ticket sales.

Now maybe (just maybe) that'll be different at the OB site - many cuban fans are older and unwilling to make the trek to JRS.

Guest Juanky

500614[/snapback]

I wouldn't say Miami is baseball mecca for Latin players just yet, but I see what you are getting at.

Oh, and to whoever asked if he played catcher. We kinda have one of those don't cha know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.