NHL owners ponder new league.

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

NHL owners pondering new league: source

August 27, 2004

From the Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA - National Hockey League team owners are now seriously considering forming a new league.

A team owner, who was speaking on condition that his identity was not divulged, says it might come as early as January.

Under the structure of the NHL, it has the ability to shutdown and begin in a new way, if extended negotiations with the players' union fail to reach a deal.

According to the owner, this possibility has become greater following fruitless attempts to reach a deal during contract bargainning with the players' association this week in Ottawa.

Ironically, the players have been considering the same thing.

? Broadcast News 2004

Could someone that knows hockey explain this?

:blink:

NHL would fold and a new NHL replacement would emerge, similar to what baseball did before forming the National League. The Cards and Reds were teams that moved to the NL from the American Association. The same teams would likely move except those that fold, although I doubt any would fold to tell you the truth.

Guest Moneyball

NHL would fold and a new NHL replacement would emerge, similar to what baseball did before forming the National League. The Cards and Reds were teams that moved to the NL from the American Association. The same teams would likely move except those that fold, although I doubt any would fold to tell you the truth.

533013[/snapback]

So it would be a new league with the same teams and same names in the same cities?

EDIT: Would they change there names lets say to the North American Hockey League or would it stay the NHL.

Likely would change names. The NHL would legally fold and a new "Major League Hockey" (just a name, not anything in particular) would emerge. The players would then have 4 options:

1) Play with the new league.

2) Play in the minor leagues.

3) Play in independent leagues.

4) Not play on North American Professional Hockey Leagues.

The NHL seriously needs to consolidate. It's time to stop masquerading as one of the "Four Major Sports". There's like 6 or 7 "major sports", and the NHL isn't one of them.

They should cut down to like 16 teams.

(Preparing to get flamed...)

533048[/snapback]

They are a major sport because look at all the kids that play it and all the fans that watch it. Attendance is right up there with the NBA, so the argument that no one is watching is false. All 30 teams should continue as planned. No more than 4 should relocate.

Guest Moneyball

The NHL seriously needs to consolidate.? It's time to stop masquerading as one of the "Four Major Sports".? There's like 6 or 7 "major sports", and the NHL isn't one of them.

533048[/snapback]

AGREED

Hockey is NOT a major sport in the US anymore

533102[/snapback]

NHL didn't even make the cover of SI when the bolts won the SC.

It would suck because more than likely would have all new team names I guess, maybe not. I love to watch hockey, and I am with the owners on this one. Ratings are just not good enough for what these guys are getting paid.

The number of teams should definitely be cut down though because if there is a new league the talent is going to be so spread out that the actual hockey will suck. I would be ok with 24 teams

It would suck because more than likely would have all new team names I guess, maybe not. I love to watch hockey, and I am with the owners on this one. Ratings are just not good enough for what these guys are getting paid.

The number of teams should definitely be cut down though because if there is a new league the talent is going to be so spread out that the actual hockey will suck. I would be ok with 24 teams

534471[/snapback]

same teams, same owners (unless the sell), even same nicknames (unless they move)

The NHL seriously needs to consolidate.? It's time to stop masquerading as one of the "Four Major Sports".? There's like 6 or 7 "major sports", and the NHL isn't one of them.

533048[/snapback]

AGREED

533102[/snapback]

Have you guys ever even been to a hockey game? Let me tell you this fellas. I was at the Inaugural Stanley Cup Playoff game in Nashville Predators history, and let me tell you this. That building was more full, louder, rowdier, and better than any sporting event or form of entertainment I have ever seen. Hockey is awesome. Flat out. You just have to give it a chance. Go to an NHL game, you'll see what I mean.

533048[/snapback]

AGREED

533102[/snapback]

Have you guys ever even been to a hockey game? Let me tell you this fellas. I was at the Inaugural Stanley Cup Playoff game in Nashville Predators history, and let me tell you this. That building was more full, louder, rowdier, and better than any sporting event or form of entertainment I have ever seen. Hockey is awesome. Flat out. You just have to give it a chance. Go to an NHL game, you'll see what I mean.

535838[/snapback]

Agree 100% Hockey atmosphere at the game is simply amazing, even a meaningless regular season game is pretty exciting. I went to a Caps/Lightning game two years ago. Probably best sporting event I have ever attended. Never had as much fun. Even though the Caps lost :mad :

Problem is, it just is not the same on tv or if it is not your favorite team playing.

533048[/snapback]

AGREED

533102[/snapback]

535838[/snapback]

Atmosphere could be the best but bottom line is that Hockey is not a Major sport anymore.