Interesting note on Dontrelle...

strandedx02

On the BBTN site on espn.com it says that the D-Train is only the fifth pitcher in the last 90 years to win his first 7 starts in a season before turning 24. The others were Fernando Valenzuela (1981), Roger Moret (1973), Boo Ferriss (1945), and Babe Ruth (1917). Interesting also that the four previous pitchers all won exactly 8 starts in a row.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/bbtn/index

Speaking of Brad Penny, is it my imagination or is he as big as a house these days?

It looks like the LA lifestyle still hasn't convinced Brad to get in shape. I only saw a few minutes of the game last night but he looked huge.

770942[/snapback]

It was tough to tell...the highlights I saw only showed him turned around looking at balls headed towards the gaps in the outfield...

:whistle

Speaking of Brad Penny, is it my imagination or is he as big as a house these days?

It looks like the LA lifestyle still hasn't convinced Brad to get in shape. I only saw a few minutes of the game last night but he looked huge.

770942[/snapback]

I don't know. Its hard to really tell, but then again Brad was always built like a horse.

I was listening to Boog the other day and he attributed a lot of Dontrelle's early success this season to Juan Pierre. Dontrelle is in the best shape of his life...he has been following JP's workout regimen.

:thumbup

770860[/snapback]

That's a very interesting point. Dontrelle's fastball seems to be faster than I remember seeing too. He seemed to be in the low 90s mostly, and last night he was hitting 94 plenty, & even his final pitch of the 8th inning was 95. Could very well be the conditioning.

Guest Fritz

I was listening to Boog the other day and he attributed a lot of Dontrelle's early success this season to Juan Pierre. Dontrelle is in the best shape of his life...he has been following JP's workout regimen.

770860[/snapback]

That's a very interesting point. Dontrelle's fastball seems to be faster than I remember seeing too. He seemed to be in the low 90s mostly, and last night he was hitting 94 plenty, & even his final pitch of the 8th inning was 95. Could very well be the conditioning.

770978[/snapback]

I wonder if the added velocity comes from taking something off his delivery and he saves that energy that would've otherwise been expelled during the windup/delivery.

770942[/snapback]

I watched the game against Cincy, and yeah, Penny looked like he put on more weight in the neck and face, but his body looks about where it was while he was here. Can't regret getting him out of here before his body pulls a David Wells.

770860[/snapback]

770978[/snapback]

I wonder if the added velocity comes from taking something off his delivery and he saves that energy that would've otherwise been expelled during the windup/delivery.

770990[/snapback]

I would think that being a year older and that much stronger, combined with better conditioning in the off-season and Wiley's work to streamline his windup have all combined to make him the pitcher he is today.

Generally I'm against bringing up kids at 20 or so the way did with Dontrelle, but he's the exception that proves the rule. Most times these kids may have the stuff but they don't have the physical maturity to withstand the rigors of MLB. For every DW that flourishes there's a dozen David Clydes, who had all the stuff in the world but blew out their arms and ended their careers.

Look at Mark Prior by example. My sense is he's going to be a perrenial DL candidate, having done himself so much damage he may never fully recover.

Guest Juanky

yea he looked huge but like stated above he's always been big boned.

btw choi is tearing it up out there, i think he has 8 dingers now

He is also hitting over .300, and on par with Delgado.....at least for the moment.Yeah, he's hitting .600 with 8 RBIs in his last four games