Hee Seop Choi! Hee Seop Choi!

Guest Juanky

so would any of you choi lovers actually take hee crap over delgado? i wouldnt be surprised if a few of you would

807281[/snapback]

I don't think any one would. However some might suggest that they'd rather have a cheap Choi (you know the one with .882 OPS with the Marlins and a good June and July) to spend cash on improvements elsewhere. Then again, at the time of the trade the question was Encarnacion or Choi.

For a power hitter, a month without an extra base hit deserves criticism.

807445[/snapback]

He's got 12 home runs and a slugging percentage around .530, that's damn good. Even for a power hitter.

807447[/snapback]

I'd like to see him rack up a few more doubles and RBIs. It seems like he's either single, out, or solo home run.

807452[/snapback]

lol, rbis. Don't get me started.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Normally I would agree with you on that. However, not in this case.

For me the ideal power hitter is someone who can drive the ball with consistency to bring in the runs. Choi can hit the ball out, but there's no telling when. His SLG numbers are inflated by his twelve home runs in less at bats (sharing duties with Saenz). Sure twelve home runs in limited time is admirable, but there's more to it than that. First, he still needs to learn how to hit pitches other than the fastball. He's basically a first pitch fastball hitter. I'm surprised pitchers haven't caught on yet. By my count only four of those home runs have been hit with runners on base. It's not like the Dodgers have trouble getting on base either, they are fifth in the majors.

Sure RBIs aren't everything, but his OBP isn't much to brag about either. With RISP he hits about .230. What good is a power hitter that hits a string of solo blasts every once in a while?

807494[/snapback]

he played against the twins, an AL team, and they threw him nothing but fastballs. they didn't scout, or didn't scout well. he's an awesome fastball hitter, but that's about all. someday he can be an awesome all around hitter, because the dude is built to rake, but someday is not now. he just needs to keep at at, and maybe one day he'll mimic the 2005 derek lee. at any rate, props to big choi for slamming the ball the past few days. :thumbup

so would any of you choi lovers actually take hee crap over delgado? i wouldnt be surprised if a few of you would

807281[/snapback]

I don't think any one would. However some might suggest that they'd rather have a cheap Choi (you know the one with .882 OPS with the Marlins and a good June and July) to spend cash on improvements elsewhere. Then again, at the time of the trade the question was Encarnacion or Choi.

807376[/snapback]

Bingo. I thought he was fine as a low-cost option & would let us spend money on pitching & other positions. Wasn't a huge fan of the LA trade when it happened. Mota's not helping make the deal look great either these days...

Why do some of you guys feel the need to trash Choi. The guy had a great game and is having a pretty good year.

Yes, you guys have Delgado and he is much better than Choi, but comparing Choi's numbers with Delgado's is biased up the ass. Instead of pouring in the numbers Delgado is punching in this season, let's see the numbers he had in his first 3 years in the bigs... yup... WORSE than Choi's numbers. And I believe in his 4 to 5th year, he was hitting around the same level as Choi, striking out quite a lot, with a 260 to 270 BA. So you see, it's completely stupid to go around saying "Delgado is better than Choi" because it's No s#!t, Sherlock.

Give Choi some time and a full season, along with tweaks here and there and he will blossom.

Wait.. Choi can hit only fastballs? I thought I read a scout say he couldn't get around on a good fastball. Another said he was a mistake hitter. Another said his body frame made him awkward and slow. Others say he has all the tools, but needs to change his entire approach to the game.

Hmm.