Nice start to the road trip

Hotcorner

Offense seems to be gradually getting back into gear. This was an opportunity to beat up on a minor league pitcher & they did exactly that. Nice start to a long tough road trip.

Dontrelle's been just amazing this season. Once again he doesn't have his A+ stuff and still goes 7 innings, 1 run. What else can you say about him?

You cant say anything else but HOT DAMN, D-Train has been amazing this season...the team seemed to be playing really hard tonight, behind D-Train...Guys were hustling hard especially Miggy, running out that grounder and making that insane play in LF...JP was able to steal and leg out a grounder to make sure it wasnt a DP...Lowell coming through...LoDuca with a steal !

I wonder if guys play harder for different pitchers? Like when D-Train plays the team plays harder than if Burnett was pitching. I dont know...I would hope not but I wonder if it happens.

Go Marlins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Win 1 of 1

Tomorrow

2 of 2

Lets get another series.

Offense seems to be gradually getting back into gear. This was an opportunity to beat up on a minor league pitcher & they did exactly that. Nice start to a long tough road trip.

Dontrelle's been just amazing this season. Once again he doesn't have his A+ stuff and still goes 7 innings, 1 run. What else can you say about him?

808737[/snapback]

Dontrelle may have given up a few hits, but he made his pitches when he needed them. He induced ground balls for double plays and got a few key Ks. He toughened up each time the Cubs got something going.

I wonder if guys play harder for different pitchers? Like when D-Train plays the team plays harder than if Burnett was pitching. I dont know...I would hope not but I wonder if it happens. 808751[/snapback]

good question, and I wouldn't think they try any harder, but as Tommy Hutton mentioned the other night, I do think it is easier to play behind a pitcher like Dontrelle as opposed to Al Leiter in particular. And not just because Al's ERA is 87 right now.

With Dontrelle pitching, he keeps things moving, doesn't take a long time in between pitches, you know he's going to involve the defense behind him, he throws strikes so you're more alert. Plus his energy has just got to be infectious. :thumbup

With Al, the game grinds to a halt. He's walking guys, hitting batters. He takes a long time between pitches sometimes, the defense is probably falling asleep just waiting for him to find the strike zone again.

Looking at length of the infield grass at Wrigley one has to wonder if at least some of JP's woes at home has to do with the way the infield is manicured at PPS?

808863[/snapback]

Thats a moot point IMO, he played great in 03 and 04, its same field. Its when he is in a rut its noticable plus it doesnt help him when he is in a rut.

Looking at length of the infield grass at Wrigley one has to wonder if at least some of JP's woes at home has to do with the way the infield is manicured at PPS?

808863[/snapback]

IIRC Wrigley's grass is much taller and thicker than the Pro's. A speedy slap-hitter should have a better time on the short grass as balls often skip past the infield and infielders make deep throws. To have the same impact on the fielder, a groundball would have to make a few bounces on Wrigley's slow grass.

808863[/snapback]

I don't see how it would have an effect on the weak groundballs to second base.

808939[/snapback]

You don't?

This really isn't a subject worth turning into a daylong debate but I've said here before that two things appear different about the PPS infield from a couple of years ago - one the length of the grass, which is much less lush and in spots nearly bare, and two the way the basepaths are watered before the start of the game.

Way too many time this season I've seen JP (and others) get their cleats filled with Soilmaster in the early going. Anyone is welcome to disagree but if you frequent games, especially with a viewpoint of the upperdeck, I bet you've noticed it.

808863[/snapback]

I don't see how it would have an effect on the weak groundballs to second base.

808939[/snapback]

You don't?

This really isn't a subject worth turning into a daylong debate but I've said here before that two things appear different about the PPS infield from a couple of years ago - one the length of the grass, which is much less lush and in spots nearly bare, and two the way the basepaths are watered before the start of the game.

Way too many time this season I've seen JP (and others) get their cleats filled with Soilmaster in the early going. Anyone is welcome to disagree but if you frequent games, especially with a viewpoint of the upperdeck, I bet you've noticed it.

809055[/snapback]

Oh, I've noticed it too, but to me it's more a sign of the times than anything else; after all, the field is manicured to your team's strengths. To me, the watering of the basepaths suggests that we are no longer a running team (and with LoDuca's arm and Leiter/Beckett/Burnett's deliveries we're not exactly the most likely team to stop 3 steals a game), while the Mets, Phillies and Nats certainly are.