Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Statement from Loria expected soon

Featured Replies

  • Author

The only thing I got from the article that was new to me is that Loria will announce something on this level soon.

 

When Samson points to such a specific thing publicly it suggests that some business is being talked about being done.

I see that wanks1212 is in this thread,

 

Are you familiar with the Twins ballpark proposal in Minnesota?

812871[/snapback]

 

 

Pretty familiar, why?

812875[/snapback]

What just happened in that project that was featured in the newspaper this past Sunday? Has to do with plans to develop the space around the ballpark ala PETCO Park/Ballpark Village.

812886[/snapback]

 

 

In the Warehouse district? I didn't read an article (I didn't read the Star Trib Sunday, I was/still am in South Florida for a short while longer and was at the Marlins game) on it, but the plans have been all along to re-develop the Warehouse district (where it will be placed) and they sound somewhat similar to what other communities have done with re-development, which is of course one of the things that owners argue when it comes to stadiums: community revival/redevelopment. Pohlad needs help with this ballpark from the state if he wants a roof on it, so if he's going all out (and I'm gonna try and find that article now and read it, now that you mentioned it, thanks) to put on a community development face it wouldn't surprise me. He's gonna need that roof badly, whether he wants to admit it now or not.

Regarding the location, I wonder if the team would lobby for a better location downtown in trade for putting in more $$$. I know they covet a site close to the waterfront.

Another thing contributing to the increase in the gap is the increase in interest rates expected in the coming months. Debt service interest is expected to rise and this is being included in the costs now.

812899[/snapback]

 

I think the major increase in price was the increase in the value of the land. The real estate market in Miami is out of control right now.

  • Author

Regarding the location, I wonder if the team would lobby for a better location downtown in trade for putting in more $$$. I know they covet a site close to the waterfront.

812910[/snapback]

The team has said they are happy with the Orange Bowl site and have put in money towards development plans on that site. If Loria has the money then why not pay for the current plan?

 

On top of it what waterfront site would you go after? Then add more costs as it is more expensive to construct near water.

The article I read was pointing out that the Twins ballpark site has a new developer. Hines Interests took over and plans to develop condos on the site along with the ballpark like they did in San Diego. I have the article in PDF...so let me see if I can find a link.

812912[/snapback]

 

I found it on the Star-Trib website, thanks anyway though. Yeah, you're right about Hines leading the development. The most interesting (or, perhaps, disturbing if you're a Twins fan) news was that plans to develop the site are NOT linked to a new Twins stadium. If it is approved, they'll add condos, but if it's not, they'll just add more condos where the stadium would have been anyway (by the Target Center).

 

I think this would make the area around the stadium really, really nice, but I'm not sure it's going to help the Twins cause tremendously because the development will go on regardless of whether or not the stadium is built.

  • Author

Now if our ballpark were to get a developer in that type of deal....that could cover the difference. The Marlins would control the right to make that kind of deal but would need City and County approval.

 

I have heard many rumblings about this. The rights to sign a lease to build condos near the ballpark would surely be worth enough.

 

There are some new towers going up near the site too. They looked pretty pricey.

So when can we expect this statement to come out?

The attendance issues stem from the fact that due to the location of the stadium, you have to make a whole day planned around the game. A downtown stadium would allow people to fit stopping by the game into their schedule and bring in casual fans. That's my opinion.

  • Author

Armando Codina, a big supporter of the Marlins, would be nice to have do that.

812932[/snapback]

 

He has actively campaigned in Tallahassee for this and in Miami. He has shown interest in owning the team recently and he is a major season ticket holder. However I think there are others interested in it too.

  • Author

The attendance issues stem from the fact that due to the location of the stadium, you have to make a whole day planned around the game. A downtown stadium would allow people to fit stopping by the game into their schedule and bring in casual fans. That's my opinion.

812936[/snapback]

you certainly have some cases supporting your assertion. However Little Havana could best be compared to Wrigleyville in the kind of housing and neighborhood feel. Kids play in the streets, dogs run around, people enjoy their homes, and the neighborhood has an old stadium there.

The attendance issues stem from the fact that due to the location of the stadium, you have to make a whole day planned around the game. A downtown stadium would allow people to fit stopping by the game into their schedule and bring in casual fans. That's my opinion.

812936[/snapback]

you certainly have some cases supporting your assertion. However Little Havana could best be compared to Wrigleyville in the kind of housing and neighborhood feel. Kids play in the streets, dogs run around, people enjoy their homes, and the neighborhood has an old stadium there.

812942[/snapback]

aside from the fact that we don't want our kids playing in the streets there because of the homeless people

  • Author

aside from the fact that we don't want our kids playing in the streets there because of the homeless people

812943[/snapback]

another link to Wrigleyville. :plain

Little Havana ain't exactly like Wrigleyville.

  • Author

Little Havana ain't exactly like Wrigleyville.

812945[/snapback]

The Spanish does make it a bit different eh?

Little Havana is not a slum but it definitely isn't a neighborhood I'd want to raise my kids in.

  • Author

Little Havana is not a slum but it definitely isn't a neighborhood I'd want to raise my kids in.

812951[/snapback]

Neither is Wrigleyville.

The attendance issues stem from the fact that due to the location of the stadium, you have to make a whole day planned around the game. A downtown stadium would allow people to fit stopping by the game into their schedule and bring in casual fans. That's my opinion.

812936[/snapback]

you certainly have some cases supporting your assertion. However Little Havana could best be compared to Wrigleyville in the kind of housing and neighborhood feel. Kids play in the streets, dogs run around, people enjoy their homes, and the neighborhood has an old stadium there.

812942[/snapback]

 

oops I meant Little Havana. Stupid papers have me saying it now. Dammit :banghead

I think in the end one of the Indian tribes will be the Marlins savior in South Florida. Either as part owner in some newly configured stadium and team deal at the Dolphins Stadium, or more likely as a part owner of team/new stadium, to be built close to the Hard Rock Casino. They're just waiting for the right time to make the proposal.

Little Havana is not a slum but it definitely isn't a neighborhood I'd want to raise my kids in.

812951[/snapback]

 

Out of curiosity, do you live in the Miami area? If so, what neighborhood?

Little Havana is not a slum but it definitely isn't a neighborhood I'd want to raise my kids in.

812951[/snapback]

 

Out of curiosity, do you live in the Miami area? If so, what neighborhood?

813041[/snapback]

 

Yes. Northwest Miami-Dade.

 

And yes I have been to that area, I was just there today.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.