Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stadium in Palm Beach County

Featured Replies

The best location for the stadium is right where it is right now, albeit a couple hundred yards to the east.

 

Granted, football is once a week, but there is a reason why Joe Robbie built the stadium where it is. We live in a 100 x 10 to 15-mile long narrow stretch of metropolis with no real center. What's good and near for somebody is far for somebody else. Doesn't matter, if you care, you go. Homestead Race track (or Moroso in PB for that matter) are not near Broward - where I live - but I care and drive the extra mile).

 

The stadium should be built on the east parking lot between the turnpike entrance and the turnpike. Home plate would be in the SW corner with right field along the turnpike wall. 3rd Base and left field stands would buffer the toll plaza. That area is already used to the stadium and the crowds and commotion it may bring (though some may not like it), and that's where it should go, rather than displacing numerous residents and businesses to shoe horn it in next to the Orange Bowl which will permanently destroy the view of downtown from the OB, not to mention cut off the breezes from the open end.

 

For those who were around in 1987, the 2 empty sand lots on NW 27th Avenue right at the SE corner of 199th Street and the other on the west side of 27th north of the canal, used to be parking lots for the stadium. I used to dream of the day when the Metrorail was finally extended up to this area - I'm still waiting, BTW. You've seen the signs there for years since (Land Development for Dolphin Center, etc.) which have gone without buyers. Return those lots to their original purpose, and you'll gain even more parking spaces.

Hell no i would rather stay in carol city.besides palm beach county residents dont show support for the marlins its all miami and part of broward.i am outraged that they are proposing a stadium for a county that doesnt even have high fan support for the marlins.id rather be called the miami marlins than the boca raton rats.

858171[/snapback]

 

I also have read somewhere in the past, maybe the Sentinal that Palm Beach County provided the most season ticket holders for the Marlins. And btw, it wouldn't be the Boca Raton Rats... it would be the Boca Raton Mice, and last time I checked mice were adorable rodents that scared Elephants. No problem with such a noble mascot. lol.

Palm Beach and Broward counties have about as much Yankee fans as Marlin fans.

866643[/snapback]

 

So does Dade county...what's the point?

If the current location is so swell how come no one goes?

872258[/snapback]

 

Because Miami fans will find any excuse imaginable. A few I've heard:

 

"It's too hot."

 

"It's too bright."

 

"I can't see the ball."

 

"It's raining."

 

"It might rain."

 

"I'm not paying $10 for parking."

 

"I'm not paying $5 for water."

 

I can keep going...

Because all of south Florida will find an excuse TSwift. Not just Miami. All of South Florida.

872762[/snapback]

 

Oh, everyone has excuses, but the vast majority of these gripes (as if Miami is the only city in the world that has to suffer through rain-delays) come from the very same "fan-base" that demands that the stadium be moved closer to them. Never mind that Palm Beach and Broward do compose the vast majority of season ticket sales...

Because all of south Florida will find an excuse TSwift. Not just Miami. All of South Florida.

872762[/snapback]

 

Oh, everyone has excuses, but the vast majority of these gripes (as if Miami is the only city in the world that has to suffer through rain-delays) come from the very same "fan-base" that demands that the stadium be moved closer to them. Never mind that Palm Beach and Broward do compose the vast majority of season ticket sales...

872781[/snapback]

 

What source do you have that the majority of the gripes come from "Miami" fans? Or are you just talking out of your a$$?

Palm beach is not a big market. For seats to sell it needs to in south broward or in dade, those are the most populous areas. JRS by the way is not really in a centralized area. Although it is in between the two counties, its really in the outskirts of both.

856500[/snapback]

 

Palm Beach is a bigger market than Jacksonville.

 

US Census

 

the Ft Lauderdale/Broward area is only 600k less than Miami and is far more condensed, since Broward is probably less than half the size of Dade & Palm Beach.

West Palm does have 1.1 mil less than Miami, but Melbourne adds 476k to that and Ft. Pierce/Port St. Lucie adds 319k as well, so the amount of people living within say 2 hours of the stadium wouldn't be effected as negatively as youd think.

 

Homestead to Boca is about 1 hours 45 mins, Melbourne to Boca is about 2 hours 15 mins...granted this isnt factoring in rush hour and what not

 

I live in Coral Springs (but go to UCF), so going to the current stadium isnt bad since its right on the county line, but the Orange Bowl is about 90 mins plus due to bad traffic, plus horrible parking and so on. Boca is a much better area to put a stadium in.

 

Its not that bad of an option, do I think it will ever happen...no. Just because you've gotten yousta driving 15-30 mins to the stadium, doesnt mean you should stop because its going to be 45-60 mins now. Thats what it is for most of us.

 

The team would be fine in either area, just keep them here.

The location in Boca is exactly where John Henry proposed we put it, anbd I think it would be a fantastic idea. Boca Raton (including West Boca) has a population of well over 175,000 very WELL OFF people....

Hell no i would rather stay in carol city.besides palm beach county residents dont show support for the marlins its all miami and part of broward.i am outraged that they are proposing a stadium for a county that doesnt even have high fan support for the marlins.id rather be called the miami marlins than the boca raton rats.

858171[/snapback]

 

Are you joking? I live in Palm Beach County myself and I support the Marlins very much so as does my family in Palm Beach County. Many of my friends here in Palm Beach County are indeed supporters of the Marlins, one of my friends has been a season ticket holder since 1993. Other friends have purchased season tickets, too, and even if they aren't season ticket holders, like myself, they go to many games. In Palm Beach County, I regularly see people wearing Marlins caps and shirts and such. There are many people here on this board that live in Palm Beach County. Your statement is ridiculous and untrue.

858934[/snapback]

 

I could be very wrong, but I've always thought that attendance issues stemmed from the fact that Dolphins Stadium is a football stadium and summertime weather keeping many people away from the park, which also results in less season ticket sales. Sure it's a suburban location, but it's not as if every other team has a perfect location. Philly's new ballpark is located in exactly the same complex as the old Vet. Average attendance increased by 12,000 in its first year, and is still well above attendance pre-Citizens Bank Ballpark (attendance jumped in the stadium's final year).

 

The Vet was an awful place to watch a game - I could barely see from the 700 level when I went to watch the Marlins and other teams play there in '03. For all its faults, Dolphins Stadium is in much better shape than the Vet was (and Shea for that matter). Weather and configuration seem to be the biggest problems; a quick search on Google Maps shows that Dolphins Stadium is well within driving distance for most Broward/Dade fans. If you build it and put a good product on the field (and a roof over it), fans will come.

Putting a retractable roof on the current location is not going to guarantee higher attendance. There will still be other excuses such as driving to the games, or I am going to get wet in the parking lot, and you people are forgetting that it will get hot inside putting a dome on this stadium. No discussion has ever been mentioned on ventilation or cooling. The Marlins organization is not going to go for this alternative and the city of Miami and Miami Dade- county will not pay to put a retractable roof on Dolphins Stadium. It is a football only stadium..period. I love the Dolphins football stadium as a football stadium. I don't care what the former owner of the Marlins (Wayne Huzienga) is trying to lable this stadium as a multiple sports complex. I remember one time Wayne Huzienga trying to build a place called Waynes World (Nickname, I forgot the actual name of the project) so he could build a hockey arena and Baseball only stadium. Lets also not forget we are in this mess becuase of him and his lousy lease contracts with the former and now present owners of the Marlins. Its time to start a new chapter and get out of Wayne's stadium. Wayne had his chance when he owned the Marlins now lets completely disconnect from him.

No discussion has ever been mentioned on ventilation or cooling.892300[/snapback]

 

Ummm...air-conditioning is standard. :plain

The location in Boca is exactly where John Henry proposed we put it, anbd I think it would be a fantastic idea. Boca Raton (including West Boca) has a population of well over 175,000 very WELL OFF people....

887266[/snapback]

 

 

I vote for Boca too.. It is a growing community and all of the college kids would go :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

 

But could they get the cash? It wouldnt be too far from Fort Lauderdale or West Palm then. And Miami would be the same drive I currently take to the stadium from here in palm beach to down there.

Putting a retractable roof on the current location is not going to guarantee higher attendance. There will still be other excuses such as driving to the games, or I am going to get wet in the parking lot, and you people are forgetting that it will get hot inside putting a dome on this stadium. No discussion has ever been mentioned on ventilation or cooling. The Marlins organization is not going to go for this alternative and the city of Miami and Miami Dade- county will not pay to put a retractable roof on Dolphins Stadium. It is a football only stadium..period. I love the Dolphins football stadium as a football stadium. I don't care what the former owner of the Marlins (Wayne Huzienga) is trying to lable this stadium as a multiple sports complex. I remember one time Wayne Huzienga trying to build a place called Waynes World (Nickname, I forgot the actual name of the project) so he could build a hockey arena and Baseball only stadium. Lets also not forget we are in this mess becuase of him and his lousy lease contracts with the former and now present owners of the Marlins. Its time to start a new chapter and get out of Wayne's stadium. Wayne had his chance when he owned the Marlins now lets completely disconnect from him.

892300[/snapback]

 

Too bad the Huizenga owns the team's soul through 2010. Good luck getting out of that lease agreement. And then the issue of people traveling to get to games: fans of ALL teams do it. You have to sit a lot longer in traffic/in a subway car to get to Yankee Stadium or Shea than you do to get to Dolphins Stadium, but they don't have trouble drawing in a pair of stadiums that are crumbling. Shea smells like garbage, you deal with LaGuardia air traffic, traffic in and out of Queens, rusty broken seats, and it hosts a team that never fails to disapoint. They still draw 25k for a mid-week night game.

 

With all these excuses, I wouldn't be surprised if Loria was looking at nicknames that would fit a Las Vegas franchise. If you build a stadium and put a decent product on the field (read not the Pirates), fans will come.

The lease doesn't run through 2010.

 

I believe the Marlins just need to notify Huipinga that they're leaving a year in advance.

The lease doesn't run through 2010.

 

I believe the Marlins just need to notify Huipinga that they're leaving a year in advance.

896189[/snapback]

 

Yeah, it's essentially "done," but with one year options on the table until 2009. They could opt out of 2006 if the notification date hasn't passed yet...

Just want to see one built anywhere north of the current location. It is currently a 3 hour drive for us, living here in the Melbourne area, to go to games. Anything north of the current location, would be a plus. Anything south would probably end our trip to games.

 

Many people from this area go over to St Petersburg to see the Devil Ray games, and maybe if the stadium was further north of its current location they might go down to Marlin games instead. I have been to a few Devil Ray games and it is really nice to sit inside a domed stadium at 72 degrees, on a hot summer day.

 

Devil Ray games are not as exciting as Marlin games though. But got to admit even though the Devil Rays can't beat many teams they sure have the Yankees number this year. Winning 9 out of 13 games so far.

 

:marlins

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.