What is your theory behind poor fan support?

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

so many more people would go if the stadium were easily accessible

852353[/snapback]

I don't get this idea at all...the stadium is very accessible. It's right near 95, Turnpike, and major local streets.

edit: I voted E, and I don't really mean that South Floridians are bad baseball fans alone, I lived there for 18 years and in general we are the biggest bunch of bandwagoners around.

Probably one of the most accessible sports stadiums in the country.

852361[/snapback]

Public transportation sucks there and there is a large hispanic population that I think would go more regurarly if the stadium was on the downtown area. nothing to prove it, just gut feeling after seeing how pationate some of the hispanic (mostly Cubans) are about the Marlins. Maybe this would mean 3K-5K more a night if they were on the OB.

852361[/snapback]

:thumbup

I mean...you have to drive there...but you have to drive everywhere in FL so it's not a big deal. I think people who haven't spent an extended amount of time in South Florida don't really get it. In many cities it's nice to have the stadium downtown because people don't drive, but pretty much everyone drives in FL and in that case, you want the stadium near major highways, which it is. Why do you think the Dolphins relocated there to begin with?

Guest Moneyball

852361[/snapback]

Public transportation sucks there and there is a large hispanic population that I think would go more regurarly if the stadium was on the downtown area. nothing to prove it, just gut feeling after seeing how pationate some of the hispanic (mostly Cubans) are about the Marlins. Maybe this would mean 3K-5K more a night if they were on the OB.

852365[/snapback]

It's a fact a huge percentage of the population that supports the Marlins lives in SW Miami-Dade.

852361[/snapback]

852365[/snapback]

most likely offset by the Palm Beach County fans that stop going to games. Including my family.

852361[/snapback]

852365[/snapback]

most likely offset by the Palm Beach County fans that stop going to games. Including my family.

852371[/snapback]

what a bunch of banwagoners your family is :lol j/k

you may be right, hopefully we see the day of the OB roofed stadium and see with our own eyes

I voted Other,

My opinion has always been that Florida does not draw well because we have alot of baseball fans of other teams that move here for the weather or to retire. In particular we have an abundance of New Yorkers and people from the midwest and the northeast. Many of these people grew up being Sox, Yankees, Mets, Cubs or some other teams fans. I see it all the time here in Boca, kids grow up being NY or Boston fans because their parents are, it goes for any sport here in South Florida really. At Panther games you see Bruin and Ranger fans like crazy, but no sport is more important to the NE than baseball, and they have fans that are fiercly loyal and wont root for a new team even if they move.

I voted Other,

My opinion has always been that Florida does not draw well because we have alot of baseball fans of other teams that move here for the weather or to retire. In particular we have an abundance of New Yorkers and people from the midwest and the northeast. Many of these people grew up being Sox, Yankees, Mets, Cubs or some other teams fans. I see it all the time here in Boca, kids grow up being NY or Boston fans because their parents are, it goes for any sport here in South Florida really. At Panther games you see Bruin and Ranger fans like crazy, but no sport is more important to the NE than baseball, and they have fans that are fiercly loyal and wont root for a new team even if they move.

852377[/snapback]

Exactly.

852361[/snapback]

852365[/snapback]

852371[/snapback]

what a bunch of banwagoners your family is :lol j/k

you may be right, hopefully we see the day of the OB roofed stadium and see with our own eyes

852376[/snapback]

We'd still go, but I can imagine many other families that wouldn't.

852361[/snapback]

852365[/snapback]

There is also a large non-hispanic community in north Broward and Palm Beach that likes a stadium close by too. I am not sure why the word hispanic comes into this. Can't they just be fans that live south?

The biggest problem this area has is the real fan base will develop when TODAYS children grow up and have their own kids. My father was a Yankees fan and never switched teams. I am a Mets fan that did switch. Most Mets fans, Yanks fans, Cubs fans, etc stay at home, watch their own team on DirecTV and talk about how bad Marlins fans are. The joke is THEY are the fans. THEY live here. Unfortunately it will take time, but it will happen. The Marlins, Heat, Panthers and Dolphins are my sons life. They will grow up and feel compelled to support THEIR team. The sad thing is some moms and dads feel it is best to raise their S. Fla kids not as fans of the local teams but their Mets, yanks, Rangers, Knicks, etc. That's sad because these kids will never understand that pleasure of rooting for a true hometown team.

I voted Other,

852377[/snapback]

Exactly.

852379[/snapback]

I can understand that, but there is a huge population to draw from. I doubt that's the main reason for poor support down here

852361[/snapback]

:thumbup

I mean...you have to drive there...but you have to drive everywhere in FL so it's not a big deal. I think people who haven't spent an extended amount of time in South Florida don't really get it. In many cities it's nice to have the stadium downtown because people don't drive, but pretty much everyone drives in FL and in that case, you want the stadium near major highways, which it is. Why do you think the Dolphins relocated there to begin with?

852369[/snapback]

at the same time, entertainment in south florida is EVERYWHERE, people drive, but people dont drive farther than 20 min before being somewhere they want/need to be.....people dont drive far to have a good time.........they aren't used to being in the car for an hour and 15 minutes to go get entertained, which is what they do going to a marlins game at the pro

852361[/snapback]

852365[/snapback]

There is also a large non-hispanic community in north Broward and Palm Beach that likes a stadium close by too. I am not sure why the word hispanic comes into this. Can't they just be fans that live south?

The biggest problem this area has is the real fan base will develop when TODAYS children grow up and have their own kids. My father was a Yankees fan and never switched teams. I am a Mets fan that did switch. Most Mets fans, Yanks fans, Cubs fans, etc stay at home, watch their own team on DirecTV and talk about how bad Marlins fans are. The joke is THEY are the fans. THEY live here. Unfortunately it will take time, but it will happen. The Marlins, Heat, Panthers and Dolphins are my sons life. They will grow up and feel compelled to support THEIR team. The sad thing is some moms and dads feel it is best to raise their S. Fla kids not as fans of the local teams but their Mets, yanks, Rangers, Knicks, etc. That's sad because these kids will never understand that pleasure of rooting for a true hometown team.

852383[/snapback]

the word hispanic came from my personal observation, on how vocal they were during stadium talks, on the radio, etc. that's all

Guest Fritz

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

so many more people would go if the stadium were easily accessible

852353[/snapback]

I don't get this idea at all...the stadium is very accessible. It's right near 95, Turnpike, and major local streets.

edit: I voted E, and I don't really mean that South Floridians are bad baseball fans alone, I lived there for 18 years and in general we are the biggest bunch of bandwagoners around.

852356[/snapback]

I agree. Miami has the sorriest most bandwagon happy sports fans in the world. The only team that gets universal support is the Fins.

I have seen the game now where the Marlins get very few fans. I personally believe that this is due tothe true capacity of this football stadium.

Fans feel like "want to go to a game?" more than "want to try to get tikets to the game?'

852392[/snapback]

That's one thing that's really frustrating to be up here now instead of in Florida. When I lived there, going to the Marlins game was a last-minute decision: "Hey, wanna go to the game tonight? Sure!" But when I want to see a Sox game it's like...we'd have better luck driving to Baltimore (except for those last-minute Yankees tickets we somehow got for $20 last year).

852361[/snapback]

852365[/snapback]

852383[/snapback]

the word hispanic came from my personal observation, on how vocal they were during stadium talks, on the radio, etc. that's all

852390[/snapback]

I mean no disrespect by this at all and I am quite naive when it comes to what many non-Natives have gone through but come on....just from what I know of the Cuban history...their struggle to survive in their homeland, their struggle to escape and their struggle to make their mark in this country...they can do all that but a stadium is too far to go see a baseball game? Naaah. That excuse may work on a fat, lazy American like myself though :)

852361[/snapback]

852365[/snapback]

852383[/snapback]

852390[/snapback]

I mean no disrespect by this at all and I am quite naive when it comes to what many non-Natives have gone through but come on....just from what I know of the Cuban history...their struggle to survive in their homeland, their struggle to escape and their struggle to make their mark in this country...they can do all that but a stadium is too far to go see a baseball game? Naaah. That excuse may work on a fat, lazy American like myself though :)

852397[/snapback]

we may be talking about a resource issue here. Someone that may currently go to 5 games, may be able to go to 10 or 15. This is not an all or none situation.