What is your theory behind poor fan support?

I guess I have to vote other, because the choices, while each have relevancy, ignore too many other important factors.

In my estimation, they in themselves are not the significant, sole reasons, but rather multiple other factors including the media, the lack of customer comforts, the horrendous food, the weather which places families in untenable situations, the inability of the franchise to sell corporate ticket packages, all contribute significantly to the problem being addressed in this thread.

Until the Marlins are able to gain control of a venue, and market the team, both to you and I as regular everyday fans, as well as corporately, we'll be stuck in second gear.

Given a stadium that addresses the marketing needs of the franchise I believe you'll see 30,000+ in the stands every night and weekend sell-outs on a regular basis.

i voted for D. i live in Coral Springs so I feel the stadium is an easy trip down the highway for me. i dont mind hopping in the car and takin a nice ride down to the stadium. i can find amusement during rain delays with a beer and my ipod. the problem for me is the size of the stadium and the makeup of it. first of all with a roof covered stadium it will guarantee a game will be played without delays. i personally dont mind going to a game whether its guranteed to be played or not. i just enjoy going to the stadium. obviously a hurricane is going to keep me indoors for safety reasons. the problem with south florida is we have a very spoiled and stubborn fan base. if they can go relax at the stadium where its cool and dry without interruptions it makes for a more enjoyable trip to a game. but at the same time a simple inconvienence like a summer shower or mid 90's temperatures will surely keep people at home in there comfy AC'ed homes. teh fact is even a winning team in this town isnt going to sellout seats. the fans need some assurance that there trip to the ballpark isnt going to turn into a fiasco.

a huge gripe on my part is teh stadium never looks packed even with 30-35K people. its just a orange and teal bohemoth (sp?). it needs to be a more cosy relaxed environment where a sell out actually looks and feels like a sellout.

thats just my 2 cents.

nice thread FreshFish

I guess I have to vote other, because the choices, while each have relevancy, ignore too many other important factors.

In my estimation, they in themselves are not the significant, sole reasons, but rather multiple other factors including the media, the lack of customer comforts, the horrendous food, the weather which places families in untenable situations, the inability of the franchise to sell corporate ticket packages, all contribute significantly to the problem being addressed in this thread.

Until the Marlins are able to gain control of a venue, and market the team, both to you and I as regular everyday fans, as well as corporately, we'll be stuck in second gear.

Given a stadium that addresses the marketing needs of the franchise I believe you'll see 30,000+ in the stands every night and weekend sell-outs on a regular basis.

852408[/snapback]

excellent post

Call Boog's show please :)

Well I'm telling you right now if HALF of the posters on this site are from Florida, then the answer is undoubtedly that South Florida's fans suck. Because most of the people on this site are awful. The team is the greatest thing ever on the day they win, and the entire team should be shot on a day they lose. And it's like that EVERY SINGLE GAME of an 162 game season. I swear you people are all nuts.

I lived in Chicago for 25 years, so you know what the baseball fans have gone through there. And yes there are bad seeds in every baseball town. But in terms of fan base, there is no comparison. I love the Marlins, have since they became a team. But frankly, South Florida does not deserve 2 World Series Championships in the span of 7 years.

Well I'm telling you right now if HALF of the posters on this site are from Florida, then the answer is undoubtedly that South Florida's fans suck. Because most of the people on this site are awful. The team is the greatest thing ever on the day they win, and the entire team should be shot on a day they lose. And it's like that EVERY SINGLE GAME of an 162 game season. I swear you people are all nuts.

I lived in Chicago for 25 years, so you know what the baseball fans have gone through there. And yes there are bad seeds in every baseball town. But in terms of fan base, there is no comparison. I love the Marlins, have since they became a team. But frankly, South Florida does not deserve 2 World Series Championships in the span of 7 years.

852418[/snapback]

I don't like when people say that...I get what you're saying but it seems like a shot at the team itself because of its fans or whatever. They "deserve" 2 WS Championships in 7 years because the players earned them, whether there are 5 people at the game or 500,000.

Man Boog was giving that guy a hard time...and he's exactly right. South Florida isn't like Chicago, isn't like Boston, etc. in terms of needing a downtown stadium.

Guest Moneyball

Oh and BTW I think the Marlins did a bad job at marketing this team period.

Enough of the 81 reasons bulls***.

Market Delgado, Cabrera, Willis, Pierre and Gonzo.

852418[/snapback]

i dont think people are nuts. they just have an extreme passion for a team they love. it happens with any team in any market. up and downs go along with being a homer. its normal. but to say that south florida doesnt deserve 2 world series championships is rediculous, what reasons do you have to back that statement up? and are you a disgruntled cubs fan who gave up on his team?

C and E

SoFla people bitch far too much about having to drive an hour to see a baseball game.

And other: The team has only been around for so long. It really is hard to have that strong and loyal of a fan base...10-15 years from now I'd imagine there will be a much much stronger fan base just because everyone who grew up with the Marlins will now be adults.

I voted other.

Where the stadium is right now isnt a big deal for me. I have to rush to get ther for a 7 pm game but it is alot better then downtown miami (being a palm beach county fan, if it moves I will drop my plan sadly. I wont be able to make it in time :( ).

There is two problems that can drive me away normally. 1 is the weather down here, if we had a dome I would go more to the games. for I would know no matter what that they would be there to play. I hope that takes place with Joe Robbie, but never know.

The second reason I believe there is a problem with south florida fans is where most are from. They are still loyal to the yanks and bosox and Os. They havent truly become as deep fans of Florida. Heck even most those Marlins fans that truly are fans still route for their old teams too.

Baseball is young down here and has alot of competition. It will take time to build up the solid fanbase of other franchises. But, it is going and growing. Give it time and the Marlins, if they keep being smart and contenders then they will build the solid fanbase. They cant do firesales like before. Have baseball strip our all star games. Stuff like that and expect to keep the fans. They need to foster baseball down here and have it truly grow. The dolphins did that for years and they have a strong fanbase from it.

My advice is time and keep doing what Loria is doing. Putting a good product on the field that can win any night of the week.

Those who voted E

Why? What is the reasoning behind it?

852405[/snapback]

I voted F, but I'll defend E in that if all these people can support the Dolphins, then there is a sports fan base here. Just look at what Derek Lee said last night at the HR derby. This team has won 2 championships in 5 years, have been contenders for the past 3 years and they treat them like the Devil Rays.

Those who voted E

852405[/snapback]

I voted F, but I'll defend E in that if all these people can support the Dolphins, then there is a sports fan base here. Just look at what Derek Lee said last night at the HR derby. This team has won 2 championships in 5 years, have been contenders for the past 3 years and they treat them like the Devil Rays.

852443[/snapback]

but why? because people are evil, lazy, lower income per capita, spoiled brats?

I don't think is right to say, "you guys just suck a fans" in such a complex problem like this. That's like saying all terrorist are evil, without looking at the root and the complexity of the problems

Those who voted E

852405[/snapback]

852443[/snapback]

I don't think is right to say, "you guys just suck a fans" in such a complex problem like this. That's like saying all terrorist are evil, without looking at the root and the complexity of the problems

852453[/snapback]

Why? Probably has to do with reasons A-D. I'm sure everyone has a different answer but with the large Cuban population (people who loved baseball in Cuba), out-of-staters (who mostly come from large baseball markets) and native Floridians (who have shown the ability to support the Dolphins), there should be more than enough demand for the Marlins but since there isn't, I have to blame the people. Many major leaguers have gone on the record and said that Miami isn't a great baseball town (Rob Dibble, DLee, et al).

Those who voted E

852405[/snapback]

852443[/snapback]

852453[/snapback]

i like your opinions and views on this topic

I don't have a problem accepting the truth about Miami not being forcoming to the Marlins. But I don't think is because the people of miami suck or because the people of Miami are so different. And that's why I hate the "Marlins fan suck" phrase so much.

People in South Florida are no different than people in any other area of America. They will react and behave similar to other Americans, given the same or similar stimuli.

I don't have a problem accepting the truth about Miami not being forcoming to the Marlins. But I don't think is because the people of miami suck or because the people of Miami are so different. And that's why I hate the "Marlins fan suck" phrase so much.

People in South Florida are no different than people in any other area of America. They will react and behave similar to other Americans, given the same or similar stimuli.

852484[/snapback]

bingo! if you look anywhere and your team is playing poorly fans are going react to it. its common sense. it doesnt mean the fans suck. its a response to a stimuli like FreshFish stated. if someone punches you in the face what is your first reaction? exactly...

852484[/snapback]

Yet we draw crowds along the sizes that frequent KC, TB & Toronto, teams that have been perpetually terrible, despite the fact our team is actually winning and in contention. If it was a cingular reason that most people said was the problem that is keeping them from going (like the team sucks, why should I go?) then there's a point. However, the team is winning and there's a laundry list of reasons why folks don't come out. When you have so many reasons, I have to place the blame on the people.

Traffic? You don't think there's traffic going to other ballparks on game day?

Open air stadium? Texas seems to do just fine (and Houston on when they opt to open it).

It just sounds like lame excuses to me why people dont come out (and it's been like this for years, so uncertainty about the team was never an issue then).

Being from Central Florida I can only specualte why the fan support is so poor. I drive down 2-3x each year and have had encounters with rain delays at least one of those games each year. I think if there was a retractable stadium it would help attendance. I also think that the location of the stadium really sucks. IN places like Boston, Chicago and New York the stadiums are part of the neighborhood and there are things to do near the stadium. Finally I think there is a lot of indifference on behalf of the fans. Miami tradionally has been Dolphin country and IMO baseball isn't seen on the same level as football. In recent years the Dolphins haven't drawn well either so I think it might have to do with location, location, location.

I voted H. I have no problem with getting attached to this team, but I live in Kendall and it's a 40-50 minute drive so the stadium location IS a factor. I don't mind because I love the Marlins but it's hard to do. Another thing, I'm a girl so getting my friends to go to a Marlins game is hard. None of my friends(guys included) like baseball and the ones that do aren't Marlins fans. :confused