Hermida Time?

TSwift25

For the minor league mavens:

Even if you say we're not sellers (which I think we have to win 3 of the next 4 not to be), is it time to go the Braves route and infuse youth in our lineup? Hermida is ready, maybe not to hit 5th, but certainly 7th and contribute about as aptly as Lowell is now (please, don't bring up "good at bats," it's all about the power numbers). It won't start the arbitration clock ticking until next year, so what's to lose?

If we're still trying to win, Lowell can't be in the lineup to kill anymore rallies, and if we've given up on the season, it's time to go with a youth movement aimed at next year...in both cases, Hermida belongs up.

Thoughts? Explanations why this simply is too obvious of an answer to ever be considered?

A few weeks ago when we the team couldn't score I was definitely on board.

Odd thing now though, it hasn't been a lack of offense that's cost us these past 3 games.

859288[/snapback]

Fair enough, but while you can say this is overreacting to tonight's game, Lowell just is not going to put up power numbers this year, and a "soft" .230 will not get it done, no matter who you are or where you bat. My move was suggested with the understanding that McKeon and Beinfest have a discussion, assuring Hermida would be given playing time in left, perhaps in a platoon with Conine, with Cabrera moving to third and Lowell to the bench. If Hermida won't play, it's an absolute waste.

I guess this really over-simplifies to which would you rather have: Cabrera/Lowell or Cabrera/Hermida?

one problem, McKeon won't play him and he will rot on the bench

859276[/snapback]

yep

859289[/snapback]

I think if we trade Encar- Hermida would play.

859291[/snapback]

Jack would find a way to either A) start niner B) Platoon niner and Aguila or Bigbie

one problem, McKeon won't play him and he will rot on the bench

859276[/snapback]

yep

859289[/snapback]

I think if we trade Encar- Hermida would play.

859291[/snapback]

Jack would find a way to either A) start niner B) Platoon niner and Aguila or Bigbie

859302[/snapback]

sad, but true

Guest FlummoxedLummox

just as long as we dont let him stand in during an Ish Valdez simulated game

859333[/snapback]

maybe that's what happened to delgado's hand?? :mischief2

Hermida let's face it has everyone here mesmorized but there's a kid sitting on the bench who could/should be playing already in Chris Aguila, who whenever he gets to play everyday puts up staggering numbers.

859368[/snapback]

Chris needs a chance, as did/does Willingham(I had to throw that in there)

Hermida let's face it has everyone here mesmorized but there's a kid sitting on the bench who could/should be playing already in Chris Aguila, who whenever he gets to play everyday puts up staggering numbers.

859368[/snapback]

Chris needs a chance, as did/does Willingham(I had to throw that in there)

859369[/snapback]

Of course you did Ramp, we would have been disappointed if you hadn't. LOLOL

I went back and checked the newspaper stories about when Valdez pitched and Willingham came up and then the last piece that laid out what had happened and it appears it occurred on the second or third day Willingham joined the club in Tampa Bay.

It may explain why he didn't play when everyone was calling for Jack's head.

859368[/snapback]

I know, but Hermida is the lefty bat we need IMO. I have the followed the kid for a while now, and he is just busting out this year. I think a Chris/Hermida Platoon maybe would be doable.

I still say offer Toronto AJ/Lowell/Enc straight up for Wells. If AJ doesn't resign, they still get good players. I don't know if Toronto would do that if AJ wouldn't sign a long term deal, but I'd definitely make the proposal.

If the Blue Jays take the chance, then call up Hermida.

1. Pierre

2. Castillo

3. Cabera (3B)

4. Delgado

5. Wells (RF)

6. Hermida (LF)

7. Lo Duca

8. Gonzo

EDIT - I'd even throw in a decent prospect with those three to get it done. If we believe in Olsen and Vargas, throw in Johnson.

The youth movement hasn't been working too well on the pitching front this year. I don't know if it's worth trying another experiment.

859420[/snapback]

Pitchers are being rushed into the MLs, not just by us, but by virtually every other club in baseball. It's almost criminal the way these kids are being thrown to the fire.

Olsen, Resop, Messenger, Wang in NY, Heyden Penn in Baltimore, this guy and that, they are all a Tommy John waiting to happen. Their bodies, especially their arms and shoulders, just aren't ready for the rigors of ML ball.

And don't throw Dontrelle in my face, he's the exception that proves the rule. For every DW there's a hundred David Clyde's, and were it me, and I was the commisioner, I would implement some kind of minimum minor league service time for young pitchers. You watch these kids come up, blow out their arms, and spend two years (give or take) rehabbing when they could have spent an extra year, or even two in the minors and matured both physically and mentally, and have the potential for longer more productive careers.

To me, it's a bigger crime than steroids the way young hurlers are abused throughout Major League Baseball.

I still say offer Toronto AJ/Lowell/Enc straight up for Wells. If AJ doesn't resign, they still get good players. I don't know if Toronto would do that if AJ wouldn't sign a long term deal, but I'd definitely make the proposal.

If the Blue Jays take the chance, then call up Hermida.

1. Pierre

2. Castillo

3. Cabera (3B)

4. Delgado

5. Wells (RF)

6. Hermida (LF)

7. Lo Duca

8. Gonzo

EDIT - I'd even throw in a decent prospect with those three to get it done. If we believe in Olsen and Vargas, throw in Johnson.

859493[/snapback]

why do the Blue Jays consider this?