July 21, 200521 yr I'm done arguing with someone. You can only argue with someone ignorant to minorities for so long. Not everyone had the pleasure of speaking normal English from an early age.
July 21, 200521 yr YOU don't understand that you aren't in the situation as a Black American. They don't grow up going "man, I'd love to just say "aks" instead of "ask" b/c it pisses whitefolk off. 868023[/snapback] What? Nevermind. You are letting your imagination put new meaning into my words.
July 21, 200521 yr I'm done arguing with someone. You can only argue with someone ignorant to minorities for so long. Not everyone had the pleasure of speaking normal English from an early age. 868045[/snapback] I'm not even trying to argue. A lot of what you think I am trying to say is not what I am saying at all.
July 21, 200521 yr Hell- why not add Pig Latin. Far easier to say and spell. This is just total bulls***. I'm an educator and I don't agree at all. Ebonics should not be taught in schools as a viable language. I wonder what college will accept 2 years of Ebonics as the language credit??
July 21, 200521 yr like f_m, I don't think they're teaching it as a foreign language. I believe they're trying to use it to get across to students. I don't know where you being an educator validates your opinion anymore, either. I'm educatED, I don't see a problem with it. Hell, it isn't making them dumber. It's just a way of getting them to learn the material. If it works, then good for California!
July 21, 200521 yr I don't know where you being an educator validates your opinion anymore, either. 868708[/snapback] When you're sick, you go to a doctor. When there's an education issue, you would think of asking an educator. Just because you're educatED, , as you put it, doesn't mean you work in the field. All I'm saying is that I work in the field and I don't think it's a good idea. If they adopt Ebonics as a school policy change, then they must change the state wide testing. I smell a potential lawsuit in the making. Wouldn't it be nice to pass math using ebonics but fail your county/state exam because it was written by some white boys in Wisconson? And usually, this kind of stuff has the trickle down effect. If it flies in CA, I can see this coming toward Florida in the near future. Wouldn't it make more sense to put those students who wish to be taught through Ebonics into an ESOL (English for speakers of other Languages) program???
July 21, 200521 yr AAVE is hardly a respected dialect. Truth is, it is not a dialect at all, nor a different language as many would have you believe. It is just a pattern of speach associated with a sector of the society. Big deal. Or are we to say now that we speak a different language than the Brits and the Australians?
July 21, 200521 yr I don't know where you being an educator validates your opinion anymore, either. 868708[/snapback] When you're sick, you go to a doctor. When there's an education issue, you would think of asking an educator. Just because you're educatED, , as you put it, doesn't mean you work in the field. All I'm saying is that I work in the field and I don't think it's a good idea. If they adopt Ebonics as a school policy change, then they must change the state wide testing. I smell a potential lawsuit in the making. Wouldn't it be nice to pass math using ebonics but fail your county/state exam because it was written by some white boys in Wisconson? And usually, this kind of stuff has the trickle down effect. If it flies in CA, I can see this coming toward Florida in the near future. Wouldn't it make more sense to put those students who wish to be taught through Ebonics into an ESOL (English for speakers of other Languages) program??? 868749[/snapback] I am agreeing with you 100%. :thumbup
July 21, 200521 yr I don't know where you being an educator validates your opinion anymore, either. 868708[/snapback] When you're sick, you go to a doctor. When there's an education issue, you would think of asking an educator. Just because you're educatED, , as you put it, doesn't mean you work in the field. All I'm saying is that I work in the field and I don't think it's a good idea. If they adopt Ebonics as a school policy change, then they must change the state wide testing. I smell a potential lawsuit in the making. Wouldn't it be nice to pass math using ebonics but fail your county/state exam because it was written by some white boys in Wisconson? And usually, this kind of stuff has the trickle down effect. If it flies in CA, I can see this coming toward Florida in the near future. Wouldn't it make more sense to put those students who wish to be taught through Ebonics into an ESOL (English for speakers of other Languages) program??? 868749[/snapback] But where does it say Ebonics will replace English? Some people are acting like they are going to phase out English. They would still be taught English as it was meant to be. They are not being taught Ebonics and not English. Its more an issue of communication and the communication barrier that exists right now. Listen, baker made a good point about the local dialects. Look also at a lot of foreign students who come here to study college and graduate level work in other subjects such as the sciences and maths. The way they speak English is not close to the way we speak English. They learned it in their home country and it comes out differently when they come here. But they learned other subjects like science and math in their home countries with no communication gap and then they come to America to study these OTHER subjects further but still speak English differently. They excel in those subjects do they not? Now if we can overcome the communication barrier with these kids in the other subjects, whats the big deal? As it stands now, these kids STILL DONT LEARN ENGLISH.
July 21, 200521 yr But where does it say Ebonics will replace English? Some people are acting like they are going to phase out English. They would still be taught English as it was meant to be. They are not being taught Ebonics and not English. Its more an issue of communication and the communication barrier that exists right now. Listen, baker made a good point about the local dialects. Look also at a lot of foreign students who come here to study college and graduate level work in other subjects such as the sciences and maths. The way they speak English is not close to the way we speak English. They learned it in their home country and it comes out differently when they come here. But they learned other subjects like science and math in their home countries with no communication gap and then they come to America to study these OTHER subjects further but still speak English differently. They excel in those subjects do they not? Now if we can overcome the communication barrier with these kids in the other subjects, whats the big deal? As it stands now, these kids STILL DONT LEARN ENGLISH. Great point and great example. I still think it is a bit weird though. For example, in Italy there are many different regional dialects. I would never be able to understand a Sicilian speaking in strict dialect. Heck, I have trouble understanding some of the old people in my own city sometimes. Anyways, the schools there teach all the subjects in Italian, everything else is a dialect, which is spoken among the people, but not in schools (generally). I suppose ebonics to an English speaker is like Sicilian (or Florentine, or whatever other italian dialect) to an Italian speaker. I doubt that teaching Math in ebonics will help, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
July 21, 200521 yr I think that's the main idea to gain from this Sandro. It wouldn't hurt to try. At best it helps. At worst, nothing changes.
July 21, 200521 yr But where does it say Ebonics will replace English? Some people are acting like they are going to phase out English. They would still be taught English as it was meant to be. They are not being taught Ebonics and not English. Its more an issue of communication and the communication barrier that exists right now. Listen, baker made a good point about the local dialects. Look also at a lot of foreign students who come here to study college and graduate level work in other subjects such as the sciences and maths. The way they speak English is not close to the way we speak English. They learned it in their home country and it comes out differently when they come here. But they learned other subjects like science and math in their home countries with no communication gap and then they come to America to study these OTHER subjects further but still speak English differently. They excel in those subjects do they not? Now if we can overcome the communication barrier with these kids in the other subjects, whats the big deal? As it stands now, these kids STILL DONT LEARN ENGLISH. Great point and great example. I still think it is a bit weird though. For example, in Italy there are many different regional dialects. I would never be able to understand a Sicilian speaking in strict dialect. Heck, I have trouble understanding some of the old people in my own city sometimes. Anyways, the schools there teach all the subjects in Italian, everything else is a dialect, which is spoken among the people, but not in schools (generally). I suppose ebonics to an English speaker is like Sicilian (or Florentine, or whatever other italian dialect) to an Italian speaker. I doubt that teaching Math in ebonics will help, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. 869138[/snapback] nah, it's nothing like it. ebonics is english. everyone understands it and all who speak ebonics understand regular english.
July 21, 200521 yr Who is it different? Ebonics is a DIALECT of english. Sicilian is a dialect of Italian.
July 21, 200521 yr Who is it different? Ebonics is a DIALECT of english. Sicilian is a dialect of Italian. 869309[/snapback] What dialect is this? :thumbup
July 22, 200521 yr ahhh, accidentally typed the W before the H. That's how we dun talk down hurr in Miss-ippi. haha
July 22, 200521 yr ahhh, accidentally typed the W before the H. That's how we dun talk down hurr in Miss-ippi. haha 869442[/snapback] I always type 'jsut' instead of 'just'. For some reason, I just can't control my fingers in that order while typing quickly.
July 22, 200521 yr AAVE is hardly a respected dialect. Truth is, it is not a dialect at all, nor a different language as many would have you believe. It is just a pattern of speach associated with a sector of the society. Big deal. Or are we to say now that we speak a different language than the Brits and the Australians? 868759[/snapback] Umm, our language is quite different from theirs. We have unique spelling, accents, etc. Never been to England or Australia have you?
July 22, 200521 yr I like how we say "Aluminum" and the Brits say "Aluminium". Also, we use "organization" instead of "organisation". But I have seen both uses so I don't know which is preferred there. How about "gray" and "grey"? I wonder how many hundreds and hundreds of years it will take before we can't understand them at all anymore... Then there can be a true "American" language. It would probably be a blend of Spanish and English. Spanglish! I know a lot of their slang is soooo confusing. When we are pissed, we are angry. When people from the UK are pissed, they are drunk. It's fun to learn about slang uses. Haha.
July 22, 200521 yr I know a lot of their slang is soooo confusing. When we are pissed, we are angry. When people from the UK are pissed, they are drunk. It's fun to learn about slang uses. Haha. And they smoke fags.
July 22, 200521 yr I just wanted to know where people get off proclaiming that what someone says is "proper English" is the absolute proper English? So, because some authority says that the phrase "I done washed my clothes" is improper English it MUST be improper? I know a handful of English professors who will say that such phrase is NOT improper, it is a dialect. Thus, ebonics is "proper English".
July 26, 200521 yr I just wanted to know where people get off proclaiming that what someone says is "proper English" is the absolute proper English? So, because some authority says that the phrase "I done washed my clothes" is improper English it MUST be improper? I know a handful of English professors who will say that such phrase is NOT improper, it is a dialect. Thus, ebonics is "proper English". 870131[/snapback] How hard is it to learn to say things the right way? You can have different ways to pronounce a word, but to say "I done washed my clothes" makes you sound really uneducated.
July 26, 200521 yr "I be 22 years old and Ima gonna be a good worker here at SBC." 867433[/snapback] That sounds like an Italian plummer man. 867449[/snapback] LOL. I wasn't really going for anything specific. I just blended different themes to make one conglomeration of incoherent speech. 867460[/snapback] and if someone said "I be 22 years old and Ima gonna be a good worker here at SBC" I'd have no problem understanding him. None whatsoever. It would take a completely ignorant fool to not understand him. 867466[/snapback] Ya now pretend you are hiring someone for a job and they say that to you. You'll just say thanks for coming and we will contact you later because their is no way you would hire them.
July 26, 200521 yr I can't believe they're still trying to push this stupid crap. I thought this was killed over a decade ago when they first proposed this crap. Black kids have no problem understanding proper English, despite the way they may speak. Ignorance begins at home. A teacher who can't teach a kid that 2+2=4 isn't going to make him understand it any better by replacing "ask" with "aks".
July 26, 200521 yr I just wanted to know where people get off proclaiming that what someone says is "proper English" is the absolute proper English? So, because some authority says that the phrase "I done washed my clothes" is improper English it MUST be improper? I know a handful of English professors who will say that such phrase is NOT improper, it is a dialect. Thus, ebonics is "proper English". 870131[/snapback] Any English professor who says "I done washed my clothes." is not an improper phrase has no business teaching English. Ebonics is an American English dialect that is riddled with improper uses of the language.
July 26, 200521 yr Absolutely not, Fish Fry. The English professor has realized that there is no set English language.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.