Nets Set to Sign Abdur-Rahim

Bryan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2110920

"Abdur-Rahim might be coming at less than half the price of Martin, but he isn't half the player. Abdur-Rahim, who is 28, has averaged 19 points per game and 8.1 rebounds per game for his career. Last season he struggled through injuries, but still managed 16.8 ppg and 7.1 rpg. Martin has averaged 12.4 ppg and 5.1 rpg for his career and had 15.5 ppg and 7.3 rpg for the Nuggets last season.

If the Nets land Abdur-Rahim for the mid-level exception, look for new owner Bruce Ratner to keep spending money. The Nets still own their full mid-level exception. Their next signing could be free-agent guard Keyon Dooling with part of their mid-level exception. The Nets are looking for a combo guard who can help Jason Kidd keep his minutes down to about 30 a night. They seem to have narrowed in on Dooling as their guy. If the Nets are forced to use their mid-level on Abdur-Rahim, they'll still have until July 29th to use their $5 million trade exception to acquire another free agent. "

This makes the Nets the fourth best team in the Eastern Conference - Still having the MLE to work with the Nets could sign 2 more solid players or 1 very good player to add to the bench. Depending on who they get, they could move up on the totem pole even higher.

"Abdur-Rahim might be coming at less than half the price of Martin, but he isn't half the player. Abdur-Rahim, who is 28, has averaged 19 points per game and 8.1 rebounds per game for his career. Last season he struggled through injuries, but still managed 16.8 ppg and 7.1 rpg. Martin has averaged 12.4 ppg and 5.1 rpg for his career and had 15.5 ppg and 7.3 rpg for the Nuggets last season.

If the Nets land Abdur-Rahim for the mid-level exception, look for new owner Bruce Ratner to keep spending money. The Nets still own their full mid-level exception. Their next signing could be free-agent guard Keyon Dooling with part of their mid-level exception. The Nets are looking for a combo guard who can help Jason Kidd keep his minutes down to about 30 a night. They seem to have narrowed in on Dooling as their guy. If the Nets are forced to use their mid-level on Abdur-Rahim, they'll still have until July 29th to use their $5 million trade exception to acquire another free agent. "

This makes the Nets the fourth best team in the Eastern Conference - Still having the MLE to work with the Nets could sign 2 more solid players or 1 very good player to add to the bench. Depending on who they get, they could move up on the totem pole even higher.

863975[/snapback]

ok here is the part I dont get...

if SAR signs for the MLE, how do they still have that to work with?

I do applaud Thorn though for calling Portland's bluff though, SAR must really want out of there to take a few bucks less than he could have made.

863975[/snapback]

ok here is the part I dont get...

if SAR signs for the MLE, how do they still have that to work with?

I do applaud Thorn though for calling Portland's bluff though, SAR must really want out of there to take a few bucks less than he could have made.

865712[/snapback]

Because they're planning to acquire him through a sign-and-trade, which would not involve their MLE.

Das:

They still have a 5 million dollar exception to work with that they acquired in the Kenyon Martin trade.

If they acquire SAR with the MLE, which they almost certainly won't end up using - they'll probably use the exception - the Nets can then use the TE + 2nd round picks to acquire bench players.

If the MLE is not spent on SAR, which I can almost guarantee it won't be (Portland has NO leverage. They should take the conditional first or two seconds) the Nets can then split their MLE on two bench players.

Its basically like having two MLE except you have to compensate the team that your signing the free agent off of.

Das:

They still have a 5 million dollar exception to work with that they acquired in the Kenyon Martin trade.

If they acquire SAR with the MLE, which they almost certainly won't end up using - they'll probably use the exception - the Nets can then use the TE + 2nd round picks to acquire bench players.

If the MLE is not spent on SAR, which I can almost guarantee it won't be (Portland has NO leverage. They should take the conditional first or two seconds) the Nets can then split their MLE on two bench players.

Its basically like having two MLE except you have to compensate the team that your signing the free agent off of.

866016[/snapback]

except that portland at this point has demanded a first round pick that is unprotected.

and you can only use the trade exception once if i recall...so if they use the MLE on SAR then that really allows them to pick up one more guy....

and that exception expires on july 29, so they better use it soon.

the only leverage portland has is whether or not they want to be a dick or not. i wouldnt put it past that franchise to be a dick.

Das:

866016[/snapback]

except that portland at this point has demanded a first round pick that is unprotected.

and you can only use the trade exception once if i recall...so if they use the MLE on SAR then that really allows them to pick up one more guy....

and that exception expires on july 29, so they better use it soon.

the only leverage portland has is whether or not they want to be a dick or not. i wouldnt put it past that franchise to be a dick.

866391[/snapback]

You can split up the TE as much and in any way that you want. The Nets already used part of the TE on Easy E and Uncle Cliffy. Thats why they only have 5 million of the TE left. So they can get two different players out of it. But, you're correct it does expire July 29th.

Portland should settle for 2 seconds or the conditional first the Nets offered - I dont see why they wouldn't. I'd rather get a conditional first and a 5 million dollar trade exception than nothing. But, maybe they'll just try to be jerkoffs, who knows.